Finding the rock's theoretical maximum height.

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student struggling with a physics problem involving a rock being thrown vertically upwards. The student uses equations for kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy to find the maximum theoretical height of the rock. They receive help from a forum user who provides a formula for future use and confirms the student's answer. The student is relieved and notes the importance of checking results for accuracy.
Matthew117
Hello everyone. So I have this one question which I thought was going to be pretty easy, but now I struggle with it. It says:
1. The question

A rock is thrown vertically up in the air with an initial velocity of 0.75ms-1. What would the rock's maximum theoretical height be?

I am currently in high school and usually there would be one more variable given to make solving easier. We also assume that there's no air resistance, just to make the calculations easier on our level.

Homework Equations

The equations I think are relevant to this problem are:
KE = 1/2mv2
GPE = mgh
3. The Attempt at a Solution

In order to solve this I decided to set the two equations equal to each other. The final KE is going to be equal to GPE if we assume that all energy is transferred (please correct me on that one if I'm wrong).

Assuming that acceleration due to gravity = 10ms-1

(0.75)2m = 10mh
(9/32)m = 10mh
9/32 = 10h
h = 0.02813m
h = 2.81cm

This height looks very little to me, and I'm 100% sure it's wrong. My teacher wrote that question himself, so maybe he forgot to add one of the variables (it's not the first time something like this happened).
My test is this upcoming Wednesday and this really stresses me out as I feel like the answer is obvious but I can't find it...

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Matthew117, Welcome to Physics Forums.

You've done okay with the problem. You did forget to write the "1/2" on the kinetic energy in the first line of the derivation, but I see that you included it anyways in the "9/32" of the second line. Your result is correct.

This sort of problem you can do symbolically and end up with a handy formula that you can use on other occasions. So:
##\frac{1}{2} m v^2 = m g h##
##h = \frac{v^2}{2 g}##

Likes Matthew117
The reason it doesn't go very high is because 0.75m/s isn't very fast. ... Just 1.7 miles an hour.

gneill said:
Hi Matthew117, Welcome to Physics Forums.

You've done okay with the problem. You did forget to write the "1/2" on the kinetic energy in the first line of the derivation, but I see that you included it anyways in the "9/32" of the second line. Your result is correct.

This sort of problem you can do symbolically and end up with a handy formula that you can use on other occasions. So:
##\frac{1}{2} m v^2 = m g h##
##h = \frac{v^2}{2 g}##
Thank you so so much! I was thinking about the possible answers and this seemed to be the only logical one (the other one I got was over 100 metres and I don't think anyone can throw rocks that high :P).
Oh yes I did forget to include the 0.5 when I was writing the post, sorry. I will take a note of the equation you wrote for me, thank you.

Matthew117 said:
Thank you so so much! I was thinking about the possible answers and this seemed to be the only logical one (the other one I got was over 100 metres and I don't think anyone can throw rocks that high :P).
Oh yes I did forget to include the 0.5 when I was writing the post, sorry. I will take a note of the equation you wrote for me, thank you.

It's good to be able to do a quick check of results to see whether they make sense. You throw something up at less than ##1ms^{-1}##; it takes less than ##0.1s## for gravity to stop it; it's average speed is half what it started with. So, less than ##0.5m s^{-1}## average for less than ##0.1s## means less than ##5cm## height.

That's also a neat way to remember the formula you were given:

##h = v_{average}t = (\frac{v}{2})(\frac{v}{g}) = \frac{v^2}{2g}##

Likes Matthew117

1. What is the theoretical maximum height of a rock?

The theoretical maximum height of a rock is the highest point that a rock can reach when thrown into the air without any external forces acting on it, such as air resistance or wind.

2. How is the theoretical maximum height of a rock calculated?

The theoretical maximum height of a rock can be calculated using the formula h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity of the rock, θ is the angle at which the rock is thrown, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

3. Does the mass of the rock affect its theoretical maximum height?

Yes, the mass of the rock does affect its theoretical maximum height. Heavier rocks will have a lower maximum height compared to lighter rocks when thrown with the same initial velocity and angle.

4. Can the theoretical maximum height of a rock be reached in real life?

No, the theoretical maximum height of a rock is a mathematical concept and does not take into account external factors such as air resistance. In real life, the maximum height that a rock can reach will be lower than the theoretical maximum height.

5. What is the significance of knowing the theoretical maximum height of a rock?

Knowing the theoretical maximum height of a rock can help us understand the physics behind projectile motion and can be used to make predictions about the trajectory of an object. It also serves as a baseline for comparison with real-life situations.