Conservation of momentum mine car problem

In summary, the conservation of momentum is only applied in the horizontal direction for the collision between the chunk of coal and the mine car, as the y component of the coal's momentum is transmitted through the car to the Earth. This is similar to the concept of a bouncing ball, where each bounce changes the momentum of the ball and therefore the Earth experiences a slight perturbation as well.
genevievelily

Homework Statement

A mine car of mass 440kg rolls at a speed of 0.50m/s on a frictionless horizontal track. A chunk of coal of mass 150kg has a speed of 0.80m/s as it leaves a chute above the car. The angle of the chute is 25 degrees from the horizontal. After the coal has come to a rest in the car, what is the velocity of the car and coal system.

Homework Equations

mv1 + mv1 = v(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Originally I thought all momentum was conserved but then that wouldn't make sense because if it did the cart would not continue rolling straight forward. I got the correct answer if only taking x component into account. I just don't understand why you do this and how come the y component is not included in calculating momentum.

The solution says:

Momentum is conserved in the horizontal direction during the "collision." Let the coal be object 1 and the car be object 2.

So my question in other words is how come its only conserved in horizontal direction?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an x and y component to the coal's momentum, but when the coal collides with the mine car the only velocity you want is the horizontal. So all you need is the the x component of the coal momentum in the chute. So momentum is always conserved, but the y momentum doesn't matter to the x momentum, but you are looking for the x component.

Likes 1 person
genevievelily said:
So my question in other words is how come its only conserved in horizontal direction?

Thanks.

It is conserved in the y-direction (downwards) but the momentum in this direction is transmitted through the car to the Earth. So, technically, the Earth is perturbed ever so slightly. In practice, though, this moment is lost to the system you are observing.

Another example is a bouncing ball. Each time the ball bounces the momentum of the ball changes direction. So, by conservation of momentum, the Earth must also be "bouncing" by a tiny amount.

got it thanks!

The conservation of momentum principle states that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. In this problem, the horizontal direction is the only direction in which there are no external forces acting on the system. The vertical direction, on the other hand, is affected by gravity, which is an external force. Therefore, the total momentum in the vertical direction is not conserved.

In this problem, the coal and the car are considered as two separate objects, and their individual momenta are conserved in the horizontal direction. However, in the vertical direction, the momentum of the coal is transferred to the car, causing it to move upward. This is why the y-component of momentum is not conserved in this problem.

I hope this explanation helps clarify why the conservation of momentum is only considered in the horizontal direction in this problem. Additionally, it is important to note that while momentum is conserved in the horizontal direction, kinetic energy is not conserved due to the presence of the external force of gravity.

Related to Conservation of momentum mine car problem

1. What is the conservation of momentum mine car problem?

The conservation of momentum mine car problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the momentum of two or more objects before and after a collision, assuming that there is no external force acting on them. This problem is commonly used in introductory physics courses to demonstrate the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant.

2. How do you solve the conservation of momentum mine car problem?

To solve the conservation of momentum mine car problem, you first need to identify the initial and final momenta of the objects involved in the collision. Then, you can use the equation pi = pf, where pi is the initial momentum and pf is the final momentum, to solve for the unknown quantities. It is important to remember that momentum is a vector quantity, so direction must also be taken into account when solving the problem.

3. How does the mass of the objects affect the conservation of momentum mine car problem?

The mass of the objects involved in the conservation of momentum mine car problem does not affect the outcome of the problem. According to the conservation of momentum principle, the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of the masses of the objects involved. However, the individual momenta of the objects may vary depending on their masses.

4. What is the significance of the conservation of momentum mine car problem in real-world scenarios?

The conservation of momentum mine car problem has real-world applications in various fields, such as transportation and sports. For example, engineers use the principle of conservation of momentum to design safer cars and trains by studying the effects of collisions. In sports, athletes use the principle of conservation of momentum to maximize their performance, such as in long jump or pole vault events.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the conservation of momentum mine car problem?

One common misconception about the conservation of momentum mine car problem is that the total momentum of a closed system is always zero. In reality, the total momentum of a closed system is only zero if the initial momentum of the system is also zero. Another misconception is that the conservation of momentum principle only applies to objects moving in a straight line, when in fact it applies to all types of motion, including rotational motion.