Conserved quantities in the cart and pendulum problem

That's the meaning of Noether's theorem. In summary, the question asks for the derivation of the Lagrangian for a system consisting of a cart of mass m1 sliding frictionlessly along the x-axis and a mass m2 suspended from the cart by a string of length l and constrained to move in the x-y plane. The angle between the pendulum and vertical is denoted as phi. The Euler-Lagrange equations for x and phi are derived and it is found that the Lagrangian is invariant under a change of coordinate x, indicating conservation of momentum in the x-direction. This is in accordance with Noether's theorem, which was supposed to be covered in class but was canceled due to snow.
ct1993
A problem on an assignment I'm doing deals with a cart of mass m1 which can slide frictionlessly along the x-axis. Suspended from the cart by a string of length l is a mass m2, which is constrained to move in the x-y plane. The angle between the pendulum and vertical is notated as phi. The question asks me to first derive the Lagrangian for the system which I got as:

upload_2015-2-10_4-24-11.png

It then asks me to find any continuous symmetrys in the problem and the corresponding conserved quantities. I found the Euler-Lagrange equations for x:

and for phi:

From the E-L equation for x, I know that:

Which I believe indicates the momentum in the x-direction is conserved, but I'm not sure. I think I'm supposed to do this with some application of Noether theorem, which was supposed to be covered today, but class was canceled due to snow and the assignment is still due Wednesday. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello ct, welcome to PF. :)

Something went wrong with the template: it shows up when you start a thread but now it's gone for some inexplicable (?) reason. Not good, because its use is mandatory in PF -- for good reasons !

Anyway, your post is quite extensive and merits a response. Symmetry is incredibly important in physics. Did you notice that in your Lagrangian there is no x (that's why the template is so important: I can guess what your x stands for, but misunderstandings are lurking just around the corner. Thousands of examples in PF, all a waste of time, goodwill, energy and what else :) ).

There is ##\ddot x##, but ##L## is invariant under a change of coordinate x (I mean a coordinate transformation: picking a different origin). That means momentum conservation (Emmy N's theorem is a fancy way of deriving that -- "the canonical momentum associated with x, ##\partial L\over \partial \dot x\ ##"). As you show.

I think you did just fine.

1. What are conserved quantities in the cart and pendulum problem?

Conserved quantities in the cart and pendulum problem refer to physical properties of the system that remain constant throughout the motion of the cart and pendulum. These quantities include energy, momentum, and angular momentum.

2. How do these conserved quantities affect the motion of the cart and pendulum?

Conserved quantities play a crucial role in determining the behavior of the cart and pendulum. They govern the motion of the system and dictate how energy, momentum, and angular momentum are transferred between the cart and pendulum.

3. Can the conserved quantities change during the motion of the cart and pendulum?

No, the conserved quantities in the cart and pendulum problem remain constant throughout the motion. This is due to the principle of conservation of energy and momentum, which states that these quantities cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects.

4. What happens if there is external interference in the system?

If there is external interference, such as friction or air resistance, the conserved quantities may not remain constant. This can result in changes to the motion of the cart and pendulum, as energy and momentum are no longer conserved.

5. How do conserved quantities in the cart and pendulum problem relate to real-world applications?

Conserved quantities play a crucial role in many real-world applications, such as understanding the motion of satellites and planets in space or analyzing the behavior of a swinging pendulum clock. They also have practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics, where they are used to design and optimize systems.