Considerations for size of telescope survey

In summary, the conversation is about the considerations and factors involved in deciding the size of a survey on a telescope. The main question is whether astronomers are primarily constrained by the amount of allocated time or if there are statistical arguments that also play a role. The proposed survey is focused on constraining the number of galaxies at redshift 7 with specific luminosities.
BOAS
Hello,

I am writing a (mock) proposal for gaining some observation time on a telescope. One part that I am having a hard time with is, what considerations are made when deciding how large a field to survey?

Are astronomers primarily constrained by the amount of time they are likely to be allocated, or are there some statistical arguments that go into how large a section of the sky must be observed?

I would love to have a conversation here about the factors that come into play so that I can make a reasoned argument for the size of the survey I wish to make.

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I assume the size of the field depends on what you're surveying for. Can you give us any more info?

Drakkith said:
I assume the size of the field depends on what you're surveying for. Can you give us any more info?

Yes, I am trying to constrain the number of galaxies at redshift 7 with luminosities greater than some value.

Last edited:

1. How does the size of a telescope affect the scope of a survey?

The size of a telescope determines the amount of light that can be collected, which directly affects the sensitivity and resolution of the survey. A larger telescope can collect more light and thus detect fainter objects and provide more detailed images.

2. What is the optimal size for a telescope survey?

The optimal size for a telescope survey depends on the goals of the survey. For a general sky survey, a larger telescope (8 meters or larger) is ideal. However, for surveys targeting specific objects or regions, a smaller telescope with a specialized instrument may be more suitable.

3. How does the size of a telescope impact the duration of a survey?

A larger telescope can cover a larger area of the sky in a shorter amount of time, which can decrease the duration of a survey. Additionally, a larger telescope can detect fainter objects, which can reduce the amount of time needed to collect enough data for a complete survey.

4. Does the location of the telescope impact its size considerations for a survey?

Yes, the location of the telescope can affect its size considerations for a survey. For example, a telescope located in a remote and dark location can have a smaller size since there is less light pollution. However, a telescope in a more light-polluted area may need to be larger to collect enough light for a survey.

5. How does the cost of a telescope relate to its size for a survey?

The cost of a telescope is directly related to its size. Larger telescopes require more materials and resources to build, making them more expensive. However, the cost also depends on the type of telescope and its location. For example, a smaller telescope with a specialized instrument in a remote location may be more costly than a larger telescope in a more accessible location.