Considering a double major in chem and engineering physics

In summary: There may be some overlap between physics and engineering physics courses, but you probably can't escape the extra work.In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a MS in chemistry through a BS/MS program, but also wants to add on a BS in physics or engineering physics. They have completed the requirements for a physics minor, but feel it is not enough for their interests and future plans. They are also interested in pursuing a PhD and conducting research in complex fluid physics and the effects of chemical/molecular interactions using spectroscopy techniques. They believe that a physics major will provide a deeper understanding of electromagnetic radiation and its interactions with matter. They are considering a major in engineering physics as it would provide both theoretical understanding and practical skills in electrical engineering.
Malik Oliver
i am currently planning to pursue a MS in chemistry through a BS/MS. I want to add on a BS in physics or engineering physics (electrical engineering based). I already completed the requirement for a physics minor, but I don't feel like it's enough for what I want to do Or my curiosity.The engineering physics involves half and half of electrical engineering and advanced physics, which sounds awesome to me. I know I want a PhD afterwards. I would like to do research in complex fluid physics and the effects of chemical/molecular interactions using different techniques in spectroscopy. I think he physics major will give me what physical chemistry couldn't, a true understanding of how the electromagnetic radiation interacts with matter. The reason in also considering the major in engineering physics is because I feel I can obtain said theoretical understanding, as well as use skills in electrical engineering to understand/optimize the whatever devices I'm using. It would be extra work, but Its really interesting. Also, if there are any professors or PhD students that do similar research please feel free to reach out, and I would love to talk more about my experience/interest with you directly. Thanks ahead of time

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd get started and post a GPA above 3.5 for a semester or two in one challenging major before aspiring to a double major.

Lots of students don't realize how hard one STEM major is, much less two at once.

Likes symbolipoint
Dr. Courtney said:
I'd get started and post a GPA above 3.5 for a semester or two in one challenging major before aspiring to a double major.

Lots of students don't realize how hard one STEM major is, much less two at once.
Current I have a 3.8 in my chem degree. I'm a junior currently. Sorry I didn't specify.

Last edited:
Malik Oliver said:
i am currently planning to pursue a MS in chemistry through a BS/MS. I want to add on a BS in physics or engineering physics (electrical engineering based). I already completed the requirement for a physics minor, but I don't feel like it's enough for what I want to do Or my curiosity.The engineering physics involves half and half of electrical engineering and advanced physics, which sounds awesome to me. I know I want a PhD afterwards. I would like to do research in complex fluid physics and the effects of chemical/molecular interactions using different techniques in spectroscopy. I think he physics major will give me what physical chemistry couldn't, a true understanding of how the electromagnetic radiation interacts with matter. The reason in also considering the major in engineering physics is because I feel I can obtain said theoretical understanding, as well as use skills in electrical engineering to understand/optimize the whatever devices I'm using. It would be extra work, but Its really interesting. Also, if there are any professors or PhD students that do similar research please feel free to reach out, and I would love to talk more about my experience/interest with you directly. Thanks ahead of time

If you are sure at this point that you want to pursue a PhD in chemistry (you just said PhD, but didn't specify), then I don't see the point in getting a BS in physics or engineering physics; just take as many physics or engineering physics courses as you please as electives. I got all my degrees (BS, MS, PhD) in physics. My major interest was in solid-state physics, and I wanted the strong theoretical grounding that physics would provide. But I was also interested in real world materials (full of defects, impurities, and grain boundaries) and practical techniques such as crystal growth, sample preparation, and metallography; so I took a slew of electives (undergrad and grad) in materials science and engineering; I never felt there would be an advantage in an official second degree in materials science and engineering, however [in some instances, an official degree in engineering will help, e.g., if you want to become a certified P.E., but that was not in my plans].

On the other hand, if you want to leave open the option of readily pursuing a PhD in physics or engineering physics, then getting a second BS in physics or engineering physics would be wise.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a major in chemistry and engineering physics?

A major in chemistry focuses on the study of matter, its properties, and how it reacts with other substances. On the other hand, engineering physics combines the principles of physics and engineering to solve real-world problems. Both majors involve a strong foundation in math and science, but engineering physics has a more practical and applied approach, while chemistry is more theoretical and research-based.

2. Is it possible to complete a double major in chemistry and engineering physics within four years?

Yes, it is possible to complete a double major in four years, but it may require careful planning and a heavy course load. It is important to consult with academic advisors to ensure that all requirements for both majors are met within the designated time frame.

3. Will having a double major in chemistry and engineering physics increase my job prospects?

Having a double major can definitely enhance your job prospects. It shows that you have a diverse skill set and the ability to handle a heavy workload. Employers may also see you as a valuable asset, as you have knowledge in both the theoretical and practical aspects of science and engineering.

4. What career opportunities are available for someone with a double major in chemistry and engineering physics?

A double major in chemistry and engineering physics can open up a variety of career opportunities. Some possible career paths include working in research and development, chemical and engineering consulting, pharmaceuticals, materials science, and environmental engineering.

5. Can I pursue graduate studies with a double major in chemistry and engineering physics?

Yes, having a double major in chemistry and engineering physics can make you a strong candidate for graduate studies in various fields, such as chemistry, physics, engineering, and materials science. It can also provide you with a solid foundation for pursuing a career in academia or research.