Constant Normal Curvature on Curves Lying on a Sphere?

In summary, all curves lying on a sphere have constant normal curvature. This can be shown by calculating the normal curvature of any point on the curve and comparing it to the normal curvature of a great circle passing through that point. Since the normal curvature of a great circle is constant, the curve must also have constant normal curvature.
murmillo

Homework Statement

What curves lying on a sphere have constant geodesic curvature?

Homework Equations

k^2 = (k_g)^2 + (K_n)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to understand the solution given in the back of the book. It says, a curve on a sphere will have constant curvature. But, is it true that every curve on a sphere has constant normal curvature? The definition of normal curvature I'm using is "the length of the projection of the vector kn over the normal to the surface at p."

Physics news on Phys.org
murmillo said:

Homework Statement

What curves lying on a sphere have constant geodesic curvature?

Homework Equations

k^2 = (k_g)^2 + (K_n)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to understand the solution given in the back of the book. It says, a curve on a sphere will have constant curvature. But, is it true that every curve on a sphere has constant normal curvature? The definition of normal curvature I'm using is "the length of the projection of the vector kn over the normal to the surface at p."

My advice would be to calculate that length. Is it a constant? If it is, then the curve must also have constant geodesic curvature.

But wouldn't that be difficult? I think I finally have the answer. Let C be a parametrized regular curve on the unit sphere. Let p and q be two points on C. Then there is a great circle at p that shares the same tangent vector, and by a previous proposition, C and the great circle must have the same normal curvature at p. Since the normal curvature of the great circle is 1 (because the normal vector to the circle is parallel to the normal of the sphere, and the curvature of the unit circle is 1), the normal curvature of C at p is 1, and the same argument applies to q. So any curve that lies on the unit sphere has constant normal curvature. I think that's right.

Related to Constant Normal Curvature on Curves Lying on a Sphere?

What is geodesic curvature?

Geodesic curvature is a measure of the curvature of a surface along a specific path. It is important in the study of geometry and differential equations, and is commonly used in the field of geodesy to study the Earth's surface.

How is geodesic curvature calculated?

Geodesic curvature is calculated using the formula K = (dN/ds) · T, where K is the geodesic curvature, dN/ds is the derivative of the normal vector of the surface with respect to the arc length of the path, and T is the unit tangent vector of the path.

What is the difference between geodesic curvature and normal curvature?

Geodesic curvature measures the curvature along a specific path on a surface, while normal curvature measures the curvature in the normal direction at a specific point on the surface. Normal curvature is influenced by the surface's shape, while geodesic curvature is not.

What is the relationship between geodesic curvature and sphere?

The geodesic curvature of a sphere is constant and equal to 1/r, where r is the radius of the sphere. This means that the curvature of a sphere is the same along any path on its surface.

How is geodesic curvature used in real-world applications?

Geodesic curvature is used in various fields such as cartography, navigation, and satellite imaging, to accurately represent the curvature of the Earth's surface. It is also used in the study of curved spaces and the behavior of light in the presence of gravitational fields.