Surface of a Cylinder inside a Sphere

In summary, the problem involves finding the area of a cylinder inside a sphere using double integrals and the equations for projecting curved surfaces onto a coordinate plane. The solution involves modifying the equations and determining the integration limits by projecting onto the yz plane. The final answer is 4, obtained by correctly setting up the integral.
mishima

Homework Statement

This is a problem from Boas, Mathematical Methods of the Physical Sciences chapter 5, section 5, number 6.

Find the area of the cylinder x^2+y^2-y=0 inside the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=1.

Homework Equations

This section deals with projecting curved areas onto a coordinate plane and evaluating using double integrals. The projected surface is related to the curved surface by

dxdy=dA cos γ
or
dA=sec γ dxdy

where γ is measured off the 3rd axis (the one not being projected onto). Also,

sec γ = grad φ / (dφ/dz)

where φ is the equation for the curved surface. So, the differential area can be evaluated through a double integral after choosing the right bounds.

The Attempt at a Solution

In this problem, the cylinder axis is parallel to the z axis, so a projection onto the xy plane will not work. Instead, we can cycle through the axes and modify the equations like:

dA=sec γ dydz
sec γ = grad φ / (dφ/dx)

Where the latter becomes, for our cylinder,
sec γ = 1/(y-y^2)^(1/2)

The equation for the sphere gives the bounds for the double integral, y going from -(1-z^2)^(1/2) and +(1-z^2)^(1/2) while z is just from 0 to 1. I can evaluate one, but not both of the integrals with what I know. I have also tried changing coordinate systems to polar but there was not a simplification.

The answer is supposedly 4, so I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Physics news on Phys.org
The cylinder is the set of all points whose x,y coordinates lie on the circle in the xy plane with centre C=(0,1/2,0) and radius r=1/2.
We can parametrise that circle by ##\theta##, the angle between the line y=1/2 and the segment CP, where P is the point with parameter ##\theta##.
Express the z coordinate of the intersection between the cylinder above point P in the xyz plane and the upper hemisphere as a function ##g## of ##\theta##, then calculate the surface area of the cylinder above the xy plane as the integral of ##g(\theta)## from 0 to ##2\pi##.

Thanks, but I failed to mention I was interested in solutions using the provided equations and not parametrization (which has not been introduced in the text). I realize it is much easier when using that method.

mishima said:

Homework Statement

This is a problem from Boas, Mathematical Methods of the Physical Sciences chapter 5, section 5, number 6.

Find the area of the cylinder x^2+y^2-y=0 inside the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=1.

Homework Equations

This section deals with projecting curved areas onto a coordinate plane and evaluating using double integrals. The projected surface is related to the curved surface by

dxdy=dA cos γ
or
dA=sec γ dxdy

where γ is measured off the 3rd axis (the one not being projected onto). Also,

sec γ = grad φ / (dφ/dz)

where φ is the equation for the curved surface. So, the differential area can be evaluated through a double integral after choosing the right bounds.

The Attempt at a Solution

In this problem, the cylinder axis is parallel to the z axis, so a projection onto the xy plane will not work. Instead, we can cycle through the axes and modify the equations like:

dA=sec γ dydz
sec γ = grad φ / (dφ/dx)

Where the latter becomes, for our cylinder,
sec γ = 1/(y-y^2)^(1/2)

The equation for the sphere gives the bounds for the double integral, y going from -(1-z^2)^(1/2) and +(1-z^2)^(1/2) while z is just from 0 to 1. I can evaluate one, but not both of the integrals with what I know. I have also tried changing coordinate systems to polar but there was not a simplification.

The answer is supposedly 4, so I feel like I'm missing something obvious.
I think there is a problem with the integration limits you have.

It looked like determining them might involve a lot of algebra, but your decision to project onto the yz plane makes it very straight forward.

Cylinder: ##\ x^2 + y^2 -y =0 \,. \ ## This gives ##\ x^2 + y^2 = y \,.##

Plug that into:
Sphere: ##\ x^2 + y^2 + z^2 =1 ##

Therefore, ##\ y + z^2 = 1 ##

etc.

Thank you so much, that was it. The intersection projection was parabolic, not spherical as I assumed.

Likes SammyS

What is the surface area of a cylinder inside a sphere?

The surface area of a cylinder inside a sphere is dependent on the dimensions of both shapes. It can be calculated by finding the surface area of the cylinder and then subtracting the surface area of the portion of the cylinder that is inside the sphere.

How do you find the volume of a cylinder inside a sphere?

To find the volume of a cylinder inside a sphere, you will need to use calculus to integrate the volume of the cylinder over the height of the sphere. This can be a complex calculation, so it is recommended to use a computer program or calculator.

Can a cylinder fit perfectly inside a sphere?

Yes, it is possible for a cylinder to fit perfectly inside a sphere. However, this will only occur if the diameter of the cylinder is less than or equal to the diameter of the sphere. If the cylinder is larger than the sphere, it will not fit inside perfectly.

What is the relationship between the surface area and volume of a cylinder inside a sphere?

The surface area and volume of a cylinder inside a sphere are inversely proportional. This means that as the surface area increases, the volume decreases. Similarly, as the volume increases, the surface area decreases.

What real-life applications does a cylinder inside a sphere have?

Cylinders inside spheres can be found in many objects and structures, such as pressure vessels, water towers, and some types of storage tanks. They are also commonly used in engineering and mathematical models to demonstrate complex geometric concepts.