Constrained motion of a ring along a horizontal rod

arham_jain_hsr
Homework Statement
If the velocity of the ring is v as shown in the figure then find the velocity u with which the rope is being pulled?
Relevant Equations
N/A
ring horizontal.png

The correct answer is [itex]u=vcos\theta[/itex]. I have understood so far to be able to conclude that [itex]\text{displacement of string} = PA - PC \approx AB[/itex]
Also, [itex]\overline{AB}=\overline{AC}cos\theta[/itex]
or, more generally, [itex]\vec{S}_{along\ the\ string}=(\vec{S}_{along\ the\ horizontal})cos\theta[/itex]

attempt.png

Now, I had hoped that simply differentiating both sides of the last equation with respect to time would give me the expected answer. But, since [itex]cos\theta[/itex] is not constant, doing so does not yield [itex]u=vcos\theta[/itex]. How do I proceed from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
arham_jain_hsr said:
Homework Statement: If the velocity of the ring is v as shown in the figure then find the velocity u with which the rope is being pulled?
Relevant Equations: N/A

View attachment 338963

The correct answer is [itex]u=vcos\theta[/itex]. I have understood so far to be able to conclude that [itex]\text{displacement of string} = PA - PC \approx AB[/itex]
Also, [itex]\overline{AB}=\overline{AC}cos\theta[/itex]
or, more generally, [itex]\vec{S}_{along\ the\ string}=(\vec{S}_{along\ the\ horizontal})cos\theta[/itex]

View attachment 338964

Now, I had hoped that simply differentiating both sides of the last equation with respect to time would give me the expected answer. But, since [itex]cos\theta[/itex] is not constant, doing so does not yield [itex]u=vcos\theta[/itex]. How do I proceed from here?
Drop a line perpendicular to the rod at the pulley, it has a fixed length ##d##. From the ring to the intersection (along the rod ) is ##x##. From the ring to the pulley is ##\ell##.

Examine that triangle with implicit differentiation w.r.t. time.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and nasu
arham_jain_hsr said:
Now, I had hoped that simply differentiating both sides of the last equation with respect to time would give me the expected answer
Why differentiate? That would be appropriate if your equation related position of the ring to position of whatever is pulling the string, but instead you have found the incremental change to each of those. That is, you have already differentiated.

An easier approach is to say that the rate at which the ring is approaching the pulley is simply the component of v in that direction.

Likes erobz and TSny
haruspex said:
Why differentiate? That would be appropriate if your equation related position of the ring to position of whatever is pulling the string, but instead you have found the incremental change to each of those. That is, you have already differentiated.

An easier approach is to say that the rate at which the ring is approaching the pulley is simply the component of v in that direction.

Don't I have to at least divide both sides by [itex]\Delta t[/itex] and find the limit [itex]\lim_{\Delta t\to 0}[/itex]?

Out of curiosity, have you had any success with the method I described?

1705980403455.png

Last edited:
arham_jain_hsr said:
Don't I have to at least divide both sides by [itex]\Delta t[/itex] and find the limit [itex]\lim_{\Delta t\to 0}[/itex]?
You did not write any ##\Delta##s in post #1. You could write AB and AC in terms of u, v and ##\Delta t##, then divide by that last.
And you did not define ##\vec S##. Is that supposed to be speed or displacement?

haruspex said:
You did not write any ##\Delta##s in post #1. You could write AB and AC in terms of u, v and ##\Delta t##, then divide by that last.
And you did not define ##\vec S##. Is that supposed to be speed or displacement?
Displacement

arham_jain_hsr said:
Displacement
Then you can write those in terms of u, v and ##\Delta t##, then divide by that.

haruspex said:
Then you can write those in terms of u, v and ##\Delta t##, then divide by that.
You mean like [itex]\vec{S}_{along\ the\ string}=(\vec{S}_{along\ the\ horizontal})cos\theta \implies u\Delta t = (v\Delta t) cos\theta \implies u=vcos\theta[/itex]?

haruspex said:
An easier approach is to say that the rate at which the ring is approaching the pulley is simply the component of v in that direction
This is what I call dense and (possibly vague !!?!), intuitive-qualitative explanation.

erobz said:
Out of curiosity, have you had any success with the method I described?

View attachment 338989
Sorry. Well, yes, I did, and was indeed able to find the correct answer. But, I don't understand where I'm going wrong in the current approach.
Like, as @haruspex pointed out:
haruspex said:

That makes sense. But, why cannot we do this instead:
arham_jain_hsr said:
Like, where is the fallacy?

arham_jain_hsr said:
You mean like [itex]\vec{S}_{along\ the\ string}=(\vec{S}_{along\ the\ horizontal})cos\theta \implies u\Delta t = (v\Delta t) cos\theta \implies u=vcos\theta[/itex]?
Yes.
arham_jain_hsr said:
why cannot we do this instead:
In post #7, you stated that the S variables were "displacements”, so vectors. I guess you meant distances, since they are in different directions. If so, they would be OA and AP, i.e. ##constant-x, l##. But that is not how you used them.

The general equation relating the ring's position and its distance from the pulley is ##x^2+d^2=l^2##. Differentiating, ##x\dot x=l\dot l##, so ##xv=lu##.
Since ##x=l\cos(\theta)##, ##v\cos(\theta)=u##.

Instead, the way you used them, they were small changes in those distances. In considering such, you had already, in effect, differentiated.

Likes arham_jain_hsr
haruspex said:
If so, they would be OA and AP, i.e. ##constant-x, l##. But that is not how you used them.
What is OA?

arham_jain_hsr said:
That is correct but it is within infinitesimal logic which is kind of rigorous but not as rigorous (you have to say that the angle theta remains almost constant during the time interval dt) as what @erobz describes at post #2 and haruspex explains it in full detail with the equations in post #12.

Likes arham_jain_hsr and erobz
arham_jain_hsr said:
What is OA?
I was calling the left end of the rod O. I hoped that would be evident.

haruspex said:
Instead, the way you used them, they were small changes in those distances. In considering such, you had already, in effect, differentiated.
I understand the part where you say that the way I did it, they are not actually position vectors, but changes in distances. But, what do you mean by "already differentiated"? How is this "already differentiated" when clearly we use differentiation to compute the "rates" of change?

arham_jain_hsr said:
I understand the part where you say that the way I did it, they are not actually position vectors, but changes in distances. But, what do you mean by "already differentiated"? How is this "already differentiated" when clearly we use differentiation to compute the "rates" of change?
You pretended it was a differential change in position when you said ##\bar{PA}-\bar{PC} \approx \bar{AB}##. So ##\theta + \Delta \theta \approx \theta ##. So all that left to do is divide by ##\Delta t ## and take the limit.

Likes arham_jain_hsr
Likes berkeman, Delta2 and erobz

1. What is constrained motion of a ring along a horizontal rod?

Constrained motion of a ring along a horizontal rod refers to the movement of a ring that is restricted to only move along a horizontal rod without any vertical motion.

2. What factors affect the constrained motion of a ring along a horizontal rod?

The factors that affect the constrained motion of a ring along a horizontal rod include the friction between the ring and the rod, the mass of the ring, the angle at which the rod is inclined, and any external forces acting on the ring.

3. How is the motion of the ring described mathematically?

The motion of the ring along a horizontal rod can be described mathematically using equations of motion, Newton's laws of motion, and principles of dynamics. The position, velocity, and acceleration of the ring can be calculated using these mathematical tools.

4. What are the possible types of motion for the ring along a horizontal rod?

The possible types of motion for the ring along a horizontal rod include uniform motion, accelerated motion, decelerated motion, and oscillatory motion. The type of motion depends on the initial conditions and external forces acting on the ring.

5. How can the constrained motion of a ring along a horizontal rod be analyzed experimentally?

The constrained motion of a ring along a horizontal rod can be analyzed experimentally by setting up a physical model with a ring and a horizontal rod, applying known forces or constraints, measuring the motion of the ring using sensors or cameras, and analyzing the data collected to understand the behavior of the system.