Construct extrapolation table with optimal convergence

In summary, an extrapolation table with optimal convergence is a method used to estimate the value of a function beyond the range of known data points. It involves creating a table of values using a series of approximations, each with a smaller step size, in order to achieve a more accurate estimate. This technique is commonly used in numerical analysis and can be useful in predicting future trends or values in a variety of fields, such as economics, physics, and engineering.
drawar
Construct extrapolation table with optimal rates of convergence

Homework Statement

Let [itex]S[/itex] be a cubic spline interpolant that approximates a function [itex]f[/itex] on the given nodes [itex]x_{0},x_{1},...,x_{n}[/itex] with the boundary conditions: [itex]S''(x_{0})=0[/itex] and [itex]S'(x_{n})=f'(x_{n})[/itex]. Use [itex]S[/itex] to estimate [itex]f(0.1234567)[/itex] where [itex]f(x)=xe^{x}[/itex] and the nodes are [itex]n+1[/itex] uniformly distributed points on [itex][-1;1][/itex] for [itex]n=20, 40, 80, 160, 320[/itex]. Construct an extrapolation table with optimal rates of convergence using these estimates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already computed the approximation to [itex]f(0.1234567)[/itex] using various choices of nodes, the results are listed below:
0.139678933961527 0.139678959983576 0.139679035306608 0.139679035488050 0.139679035532356

I just don't know how to do the last part, that is, find the extrapolation table with optimal convergence. I'm supposed to use Richardson's extrapolation to generate such a table but what hinders me is the truncation error involved in the cubic spline approximation. From what I've learned, extrapolation is applied only when the truncation error has a predictable form, like [itex]M = {N_1}(h) + {K_1}h + {K_2}{h^2} + {K_3}{h^3} + ...[/itex].

edit:
Well after some searches (http://www.alglib.net/interpolation/spline3.php#header4) I've found out that the errors for clamped and natural cubic splines are [itex]O({h^4})[/itex] and [itex]O({h^2})[/itex] respectively, but have no idea how they are derived. My cubic spline is something kind of in-between, like half-clamped and half-natural.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you plot (interpolation value)-(real value) as function of your node distances? A logarithmic scale can be useful.

mfb said:
Did you plot (interpolation value)-(real value) as function of your node distances? A logarithmic scale can be useful.

Yes. Here it is:
JaVcHbW.png

E is the absolute error and h is the distance between nodes (h=2/n for n=20,40,80,160,320)

The slope (and maybe the rate of convergence?) is 1.9993.

drawar said:
The slope (and maybe the rate of convergence?) is 1.9993.
Exactly (well, the exact value is 2 and not 1.9993).

mfb said:
Exactly (well, the exact value is 2 and not 1.9993).

Thanks. So is it safe to say that the error for my cubic spline is [itex]O({h^2})[/itex] because the rate of convergence is 2? If it is, then how the error form would look like, is it [itex]M = {N_1}(h) + {K_1}{h^2} + {K_2}{h^3} + {K_3}{h^4} + ...[/itex] or something else?

I don't know what that formula expresses, but if N1 has no linear term, this looks reasonable.

I cannot access the link, and I don't know about Richardson's extrapolation.

mfb said:
I cannot access the link, and I don't know about Richardson's extrapolation.

Well, then hopefully you can access this: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...ymKG3t&sig=AHIEtbR1oV9rtANIhNQFrQOQFusrck0_rA . It's pretty much the same as the previous one, both serve as introductions to Richardson's extrapolation.

What I need is the behavior of truncation error, something like Eq.(24.1) in the article, without which I cannot apply the formulas to construct an extrapolation table.

1. What is a convergence table?

A convergence table is a table that shows the values of a function as it approaches a specific limit or value. It is used to analyze the behavior of a function and determine its rate of convergence.

2. What is the purpose of constructing an extrapolation table with optimal convergence?

The purpose of constructing an extrapolation table with optimal convergence is to improve the accuracy and speed of numerical calculations. By using this method, we can estimate the value of a function at a point outside of the given data points with greater precision.

3. How do you determine the optimal convergence for an extrapolation table?

The optimal convergence for an extrapolation table can be determined by using different methods such as Richardson extrapolation, Romberg integration, or Aitken's delta-squared process. These methods use a combination of the given data points to approximate the value of a function at a desired point with the highest possible accuracy.

4. Can an extrapolation table with optimal convergence be used for any type of function?

Yes, an extrapolation table with optimal convergence can be used for any type of function as long as the data points used are within the range of the function. However, the accuracy of the table may vary depending on the complexity of the function and the chosen method of convergence.

5. What are the advantages of using an extrapolation table over other methods of approximation?

One of the main advantages of using an extrapolation table is that it provides more accurate results compared to other methods of approximation. It also allows for faster calculations and can be easily applied to a wide range of functions. Additionally, an extrapolation table can help identify any errors in the given data and provide a more precise estimation of the function's behavior at a desired point.