Constructing a 2x2 Unitary Matrix

In summary, to construct a most general 2 by 2 unitary matrix, you would need 4 real variables. This can be determined by considering the unitary matrix as {{a1+ib1,a2+ib2},{a3+ib3,a4+ib4}}, and using the condition U(U hermitian) = identity matrix, which results in four independent equations. While considering the definition (U hermitian)U = identity matrix, another set of four equations is obtained, but since they are not independent, the total number of real variables required is 4. This can also be determined by noting that a hermitian matrix has 4 real diagonal elements, and the (1,2) element must
gc2004

Homework Statement

how many real variables would be required to construct a most general 2by2 unitary matrix?

Homework Equations

a unitary matrix U is one for which the U(U hermitian) = identity matrix or (U hermitian)U = identity matrix

The Attempt at a Solution

first i wrote the unitary matrix as {{a1+ib1,a2+ib2},{a3+ib3,a4+ib4}}, where 'i' is square root of -1. using the condition U(U hermitian) = identity matrix, i get four independent equations. thus, i should expect the number of real variables required as 8 - 4 (number of constraints) = 4. but if i consider the definition (U hermitian)U = identity matrix, i get another set of four equations. Does that mean that the number of real variables required is 8-8 =0?

there is another way to attack the problem. a hermitian matrix must have real diagonal elements. the (1,2) element must be the complex conjugate of the (2,1) element and hence, i need 4 real variables to construct the most general 2by2 hermitian matrix. since a unitary matrix can be written as exp(iH) where H is a hermitian matrix, does this also indicate that i would need 4 variables for a unitary matrix as well?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You are counting correctly, except (U*)U=I and U(U*)=I are not independent sets of equations. If one holds the other automatically holds. There are 4 real parameters describing a 2x2 unitary matrix.

thank you for your assistance... i later on figured out that it must be true since when i impose the condition that the determinant of the matrix is 1, then i end up getting SU2 group, to specify which i need three parameters... so, without the constraint of the determinant being 1, i must need 4 parameters

1. What is a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix is a square matrix with complex entries that satisfies the condition of unitarity, which means that its conjugate transpose (also known as the adjoint) is equal to its inverse.

2. What is the importance of constructing a 2x2 unitary matrix?

Constructing a 2x2 unitary matrix is important because it allows for efficient and accurate computation of quantum circuits, which are used in quantum computing. Unitary matrices are also used in other fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics.

3. How do you construct a 2x2 unitary matrix?

To construct a 2x2 unitary matrix, you can use the explicit formula for a unitary matrix, which involves finding the conjugate transpose of the matrix and then multiplying it by a scalar value. Alternatively, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process to construct an orthonormal basis and then form a matrix using these basis vectors.

4. What are the applications of a 2x2 unitary matrix?

A 2x2 unitary matrix has various applications in quantum computing, such as implementing quantum gates and representing quantum states. It is also used in signal processing, control theory, and data compression.

5. Is there any special property of a 2x2 unitary matrix?

Yes, a 2x2 unitary matrix has the special property of being a rotation matrix. This means that it can rotate a vector in the complex plane by a certain angle without changing its length. This property is useful in quantum mechanics and other applications.