Finding Cartan Subalgebras for Matrix Algebras

In summary, the conversation is about finding Cartan subalgebras for the matrix algebras ##\mathfrak{u}(n), \mathfrak{su}(n),\mathfrak{so}(n)## and ##\mathfrak{so}(1,3)##. The participants discuss their approaches for finding these subalgebras, including diagonalization and the use of specific basis elements. The focus is on finding a Cartan subalgebra of dimension ##n## for ##\mathfrak{u}(n)##, a subalgebra of dimension ##n-1## for ##\mathfrak{su}(n)##, and determining the appropriate method for finding a
leo.
Homework Statement
Homework 6.2.30 (Quantum Field Theory for Mathematicians by Robin Ticciati): Find Cartan subalgebras of ##\mathfrak{u}(n), \mathfrak{su}(n),\mathfrak{so}(n)## and ##\mathfrak{so}(1,3)##. Show that these subalgebras have dimensions ##n,n-1,[n/2]## (the greatest integer less than ##n/2##), and ##2## respectively.
Relevant Equations
Definition of a Cartan subalgebra: A Cartan subalgebra of a Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{g}## is a maximal commutative Lie subalgebra of ##\mathfrak{g}##.
This is one problem from Robin Ticciati's Quantum Field Theory for Mathematicians essentially asking us to find Cartan subalgebras for the matrix algebras ##\mathfrak{u}(n), \mathfrak{su}(n),\mathfrak{so}(n)## and ##\mathfrak{so}(1,3)##. The only thing he gives is the definition of a Cartan subalgebra so I guess we should work from there.

The cases ##\mathfrak{u}(n)## and ##\mathfrak{su}(n)## I think I got correctly. Let's consider ##\mathfrak{u}(n)##, it is the Lie algebra of the unitary group ##U(n)## and so its elements are anti-hermitian matrices. Now let ##\{X_a\}\subset \mathfrak{u}(n)## be a set of linearly independent commuting matrices. Since the matrices are anti-hermitian we can diagonalize them simultaneously. This means from ##\{X_a\}## we can build ##\{X_a'\}## a set of linearly independent diagonal matrices. The maximal set cardinality seems intuitively to be the number of diagonal entries and we can take the set $$X_1 = \operatorname{diag}(i,0,\dots, 0),X_2 = \operatorname{diag}(0,i,\dots, 0),\ \dots \ ,X_n = \operatorname{diag}(0,\dots, 0, i).$$ So I guess for ##\mathfrak{u}(n)## the subalgebra generated by ##\{X_a\}## is a Cartan subalgebra and its dimension is ##n##.

For ##\mathfrak{su}(n)## everything goes the same, but now the matrices must have zero trace. A way to ensure this is to take as basis elements $$X_1 = \operatorname{diag}(i,-i,\dots, 0),X_2 = \operatorname{diag}(0,i,-i,\dots, 0),\ \dots \ , X_{n-1} = \operatorname{diag}(0,\dots, i,-i)$$
and clearly we have just one less generator. So we get ##\mathfrak{su}(n)## a Cartan subalgebra of dimension ##n-1##.

Now for ##\mathfrak{so}(n)## I have no idea what to do. The thing is that for ##\mathfrak{u}(n),\mathfrak{su}(n)## since the matrices were anti-hermitian, commuting sets are in a sense equivalent to sets of simultaneously diagonal matrices. So we could look for sets of diagonal matrices which are much simpler. For ##\mathfrak{so}(n)## this is not the case.

So how can I proceed to solve this? Is my solution for ##\mathfrak{u}(n),\mathfrak{su}(n)## correct? Can the argument be improved? And what about ##\mathfrak{so}(n)##? How do we proceed to find a Cartan subalgebra without resorting to diagonalization?

Physics news on Phys.org
leo. said:
Homework Statement: Homework 6.2.30 (Quantum Field Theory for Mathematicians by Robin Ticciati): Find Cartan subalgebras of ##\mathfrak{u}(n), \mathfrak{su}(n),\mathfrak{so}(n)## and ##\mathfrak{so}(1,3)##. Show that these subalgebras have dimensions ##n,n-1,[n/2]## (the greatest integer less than ##n/2##), and ##2## respectively.
Homework Equations: Definition of a Cartan subalgebra: A Cartan subalgebra of a Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{g}## is a maximal commutative Lie subalgebra of ##\mathfrak{g}##.

This is one problem from Robin Ticciati's Quantum Field Theory for Mathematicians essentially asking us to find Cartan subalgebras for the matrix algebras ##\mathfrak{u}(n), \mathfrak{su}(n),\mathfrak{so}(n)## and ##\mathfrak{so}(1,3)##. The only thing he gives is the definition of a Cartan subalgebra so I guess we should work from there.

The cases ##\mathfrak{u}(n)## and ##\mathfrak{su}(n)## I think I got correctly. Let's consider ##\mathfrak{u}(n)##, it is the Lie algebra of the unitary group ##U(n)## and so its elements are anti-hermitian matrices. Now let ##\{X_a\}\subset \mathfrak{u}(n)## be a set of linearly independent commuting matrices. Since the matrices are anti-hermitian we can diagonalize them simultaneously. This means from ##\{X_a\}## we can build ##\{X_a'\}## a set of linearly independent diagonal matrices. The maximal set cardinality seems intuitively to be the number of diagonal entries and we can take the set $$X_1 = \operatorname{diag}(i,0,\dots, 0),X_2 = \operatorname{diag}(0,i,\dots, 0),\ \dots \ ,X_n = \operatorname{diag}(0,\dots, 0, i).$$ So I guess for ##\mathfrak{u}(n)## the subalgebra generated by ##\{X_a\}## is a Cartan subalgebra and its dimension is ##n##.
Unitary means ##U^\dagger U=1## which becomes ##A^\dagger + A = 0## for the Lie algebra. This means skew symmetric matrices. ##\mathfrak{u}(n)## is of dimension ##\dfrac{n(n-1)}{2}##. The CSA is of dimension ##n-1## (I think), but still a subalgebra, so the main diagonal has to be zero.
For ##\mathfrak{su}(n)## everything goes the same, but now the matrices must have zero trace.
Yes. It is basically the same CSA as ##\det U=\pm 1## becomes the only condition ##\operatorname{tr}A=0##. Hence it is the same Lie algebra, although not the same Lie group.
A way to ensure this is to take as basis elements $$X_1 = \operatorname{diag}(i,-i,\dots, 0),X_2 = \operatorname{diag}(0,i,-i,\dots, 0),\ \dots \ , X_{n-1} = \operatorname{diag}(0,\dots, i,-i)$$
and clearly we have just one less generator. So we get ##\mathfrak{su}(n)## a Cartan subalgebra of dimension ##n-1##.

Now for ##\mathfrak{so}(n)## I have no idea what to do. The thing is that for ##\mathfrak{u}(n),\mathfrak{su}(n)## since the matrices were anti-hermitian, commuting sets are in a sense equivalent to sets of simultaneously diagonal matrices. So we could look for sets of diagonal matrices which are much simpler. For ##\mathfrak{so}(n)## this is not the case.

So how can I proceed to solve this? Is my solution for ##\mathfrak{u}(n),\mathfrak{su}(n)## correct? Can the argument be improved? And what about ##\mathfrak{so}(n)##? How do we proceed to find a Cartan subalgebra without resorting to diagonalization?

If you want to read more about Lie algebras, see
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/lie-algebras-a-walkthrough-the-basics/#toggle-id-1

1. What is a Cartan subalgebra?

A Cartan subalgebra is a subalgebra of a Lie algebra that is maximal with respect to being abelian. In other words, it is a subalgebra that consists of elements that commute with each other.

2. Why is finding Cartan subalgebras important for matrix algebras?

Cartan subalgebras are important for matrix algebras because they provide a basis for the Lie algebra of the matrix algebra, which is a fundamental tool for understanding the algebraic structure and representation theory of the matrix algebra.

3. How do you find Cartan subalgebras for matrix algebras?

There are various methods for finding Cartan subalgebras for matrix algebras, depending on the specific matrix algebra and its Lie algebra. One common approach is to use the Cartan-Killing form, which is a bilinear form on the Lie algebra that can help identify Cartan subalgebras.

4. Can a matrix algebra have more than one Cartan subalgebra?

Yes, it is possible for a matrix algebra to have more than one Cartan subalgebra. In fact, there can be infinitely many Cartan subalgebras for certain matrix algebras, as long as they are abelian and maximal.

5. What are some applications of finding Cartan subalgebras for matrix algebras?

The study of Cartan subalgebras has many applications in mathematics and physics. In mathematics, they are used in the classification of simple Lie algebras and Lie groups. In physics, they are important for understanding the symmetries and conservation laws of physical systems, particularly in quantum mechanics and particle physics.