Constructing a Feynman loop integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of the Feynman loop integral for a given diagram involving a left-handed neutrino, a scalar particle, and a heavy Majorana neutrino. The participants consider various questions, such as the use of Feynman rules, the treatment of left-handed neutrinos, and the effect of a Majorana particle on the propagator. The original poster also mentions a given Lagrangian, but is unsure how to use it in constructing the integral.
ryanwilk

Homework Statement

I need to construct the Feynman loop integral for the following diagram:

loop.jpg
(*)

where [itex]\nu[/itex]L is the left-handed neutrino, [itex]\phi[/itex] is a scalar particle and N is a heavy neutrino with a Majorana mass.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to determine it by comparing it to the self-energy of the electron:

200px-SelfE.svg.png

which gives

self-energy.jpg

1) Since there's a scalar propagator ([itex]\phi[/itex]) in (*), do I need to use these Feynman rules?:

yukawa.jpg

where m = m[itex]\phi[/itex] in this case. (Taken from http://bolvan.ph.utexas.edu/~vadim/Classes/2011f/QED.pdf).

2) How do I deal with the fact that the neutrinos are left-handed? Do I just add factors of (1-γ5)/2 in the (-igδβα) terms?

3) For Dirac particles, the propagator is:

dirac.jpg

But how does this change if the particle (in this case, N) is Majorana?Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been given a Lagrangian? It would be much better to work out the Feynman rules from that rather than try to guess at bits and pieces that might not quite fit what you want.

The Lagrangian is:

L = L[itex]\varphi[/itex] + LSM where

L[itex]\varphi[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]∂μ[itex]\phi[/itex]+μ[itex]\phi[/itex] + [itex]\frac{m^2}{2}[/itex][itex]\phi[/itex]+[itex]\phi[/itex] + [itex]\frac{λ}{4}[/itex]([itex]\phi[/itex]+[itex]\phi[/itex])2 + g[itex]\phi[/itex][itex]\overline{N_R}[/itex][itex]\nu[/itex]L + [itex]\frac{m_N}{2}[/itex]NRTCNR + h.c.

(g = coupling constant, N = Majorana neutrino, [itex]\phi[/itex] = Neutral scalar, [itex]\nu[/itex]L = LH neutrino),

However, I was told just to construct it from Feynman rules. Also, I have no idea how to go from this complicated Lagrangian to the integral =/.

Last edited:
Anyone? :frown:

I would suggest approaching this problem by first understanding the basics of Feynman loop integrals and the Feynman rules for constructing them. The Feynman loop integral is a mathematical representation of the probability amplitude for a particle to go from one state to another in a quantum field theory. It involves integrating over all possible paths a particle can take, taking into account the interactions with other particles.

To construct the Feynman loop integral for the given diagram, you would need to follow the Feynman rules for constructing loop integrals. This involves assigning a momentum to each particle and using the propagator for each particle in the loop. Since there is a scalar propagator in the given diagram, you would need to use the Feynman rule for a scalar propagator.

Next, you would need to consider the fact that the neutrinos in the given diagram are left-handed. This means that you would need to include the (1-γ5)/2 factor in the (-igδβα) terms, as you have correctly identified. This factor takes into account the chirality of the neutrinos.

Finally, for a Majorana particle, the propagator would be different from that of a Dirac particle. This is because a Majorana particle is its own antiparticle, so the propagator would not have a spinor structure. Instead, it would involve the mass of the particle and the momentum. You can refer to your textbook or other resources for the specific form of the Majorana propagator.

Overall, constructing a Feynman loop integral requires a good understanding of the Feynman rules and the properties of the particles involved. I would suggest familiarizing yourself with these concepts before attempting to construct the integral for the given diagram.

Related to Constructing a Feynman loop integral

1. What is a Feynman loop integral?

A Feynman loop integral is a mathematical calculation used in quantum field theory to study the interactions of particles. It involves integrating over all possible paths a particle can take, taking into account all possible interactions with other particles.

2. Why is constructing a Feynman loop integral important?

Constructing a Feynman loop integral allows us to accurately predict the behavior of particles in complex interactions, such as in particle colliders. This is essential in understanding the fundamental laws of nature and developing new technologies.

3. How do you construct a Feynman loop integral?

To construct a Feynman loop integral, you first need to identify the particles involved and their interactions. Then, you use mathematical techniques to write out the integral in terms of Feynman diagrams, which represent the possible paths and interactions of the particles. Finally, you solve the integral to obtain a numerical result.

4. What are some challenges in constructing a Feynman loop integral?

One challenge is dealing with infinities that can arise in the mathematical calculations. These infinities need to be carefully accounted for and removed through a process known as renormalization. Another challenge is the complexity of the calculations, which often require advanced mathematical techniques and computational tools.

5. How are Feynman loop integrals used in real-world applications?

Feynman loop integrals are used in a wide range of applications, including particle physics experiments, cosmology, and condensed matter physics. They are also used in theoretical research to develop new models and theories for understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions.