Feynman Diagram for phi^4 theory (path integral)

In summary, the conversation discusses using Feynman rules to calculate a tree-level diagram with 6 external momentum states for a given action S. The Z function is constructed by isolating the vertex and further isolating the Z[J=λ=0] factor. The conversation also mentions considering the dimensions and number of vertices, and suggests looking back at φ3 theory for guidance.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hey guys!

So basically in the question I'm given the action

[itex]S=\int d^{d}x \left[ \frac{1}{2}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial_{\nu}\phi\eta^{\mu\nu} - \frac{m^{2}}{2}\phi^{2} -\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^{4}\right][/itex].

I have use the feynman rules to calculate the tree level diagram with 6 external momentum states [itex]k_{1},k_{2}\dots k_{6}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Not sure -- please ask if you need something as I have no idea what information is needed

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I understand, I have to construct the Z function by isolating the vertex. Doing this, i get

[itex]Z[J]=e^{-i\frac{\lambda}{4!}\int d^{d}x\left( i\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} \right)^{4}}\int D\phi e^{i\int d^{d}x \left[ \frac{1}{2}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial_{\nu}\phi\eta^{\mu\nu} - \frac{m^{2}}{2}\phi^{2} -iJ(x)\right]}[/itex].

Now you can further isolate the [itex]Z[J=\lambda=0][/itex] factor to get

[itex]
Z[J]=Z[0,0]e^{-i\frac{\lambda}{4!}\int d^{d}x\left( i\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} \right)^{4}} e^{-(i/2)\int\int d^{d}x\, d^{d}y J(x)D(x-y)J(y)}
[/itex],

where

[itex]D(x-y)=\int \frac{d^{d}k}{(2\pi)^{d}}\frac{e^{ik\cdot(x-y)}}{k^{2}-m^{2}+i\epsilon}[/itex].

Now I'm stuck. I don't know how many vertices I should consider, or even what to do with the 6 momenta. I don't know why this is all d-dimensional or how to deal with it.

Help please :D thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to have to look at the question again. Since you didn't post the question but only "as far as I understand" it's not really possible to help you very much.

Hi.
First of all, you probably studied φ3 theory (if not, do so by all means!), so it would be a very good idea to go back there and see how you can deduce the φ4 analog. (For example, vertices are related to the power of your functional derivative, which is related to the exponent of the interaction term –the one controlled by λ here– in the Lagrangian. In φ3 a vertex connects 3 lines...)
To construct the tree-level diagrams, use Feynman rules: you must have some kind of table or detailed prescriptions in your textbook and you must have read it if you are given such a problem. Then again, use the analogy with φ3...

What is a Feynman Diagram?

A Feynman diagram is a graphical representation of the mathematical equations used to describe the interactions between subatomic particles. It was created by physicist Richard Feynman to visually represent complex mathematical calculations in quantum field theory.

What is Phi^4 theory?

Phi^4 theory is a quantum field theory that describes the interactions between particles known as scalar fields. It is based on the concept of symmetry and is used to study particle interactions in many areas of physics, including high-energy and condensed matter physics.

What is the path integral approach?

The path integral approach is a mathematical technique used to calculate the probability amplitude of a quantum system. It involves considering all possible paths that a particle can take between two points in space and time, and summing up the contributions of each path to determine the overall probability amplitude.

How are Feynman diagrams used in Phi^4 theory?

In phi^4 theory, Feynman diagrams are used to represent the different ways in which scalar particles can interact with each other. Each line in the diagram represents a particle, and the vertices represent the points where particles interact. By calculating the contributions of all possible diagrams, physicists can make predictions about particle interactions and their associated probabilities.

What are the advantages of using Feynman diagrams in phi^4 theory?

Feynman diagrams provide a visual and intuitive way to understand complex mathematical equations, making it easier for physicists to analyze and make predictions about particle interactions. They also allow for easy calculations of higher-order interactions, making them a valuable tool in studying phi^4 theory and other quantum field theories.