Constructing Proofs: Solving Set Functions with Characteristic Functions

• Thread starter SpatialVacancy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the problem is asking to show that for any subsets A and B of a set S and any element u in S, the characteristic function of the intersection of A and B is equal to the product of the characteristic functions of A and B, and the characteristic function of the union of A and B is equal to the sum of the characteristic functions of A and B minus the product of their characteristic functions. This can be proven by computing both sides of the equations for all possible cases and showing their equivalence through a Truth Table.
SpatialVacancy
Constructing Proofs help!

Here is the problem:

Given a set [tex]S[/tex] and subset [tex]A[/tex], the characteristic function of A, denoted [tex]\chi_A[/tex], is the function defined from [tex]S[/tex] to [tex]\mathbb{Z}[/tex] with the property that for all [tex]u \ \epsilon \ S[/tex]:

[tex]
\chi_A(u)=
\begin{cases}
1 & \text{if u $ \epsilon \ A$} \\
0 & \text{if u $ is not \ \epsilon \ A$}
\end{cases}
[/tex]

Show that each of the following holds for all subsets [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] of [tex]S[/tex] and all [tex]u \ \epsilon \ S[/tex].

a. [tex]\chi_{A \cap B}(u)= \chi_A (u) \cdot \chi_B (u)[/tex]
b. [tex]\chi_{A \cup B}(u)= \chi_A (u) + \chi_B (u) - \chi_A (u) \cdot \chi_B (u)[/tex]

I have NO IDEA what this problem is asking...can someone please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The brute straightforward way is:
Compute both sides of the equations for all cases:
(I) u is in A and B
(II) u is in A or B, but not both.
(III) u is not in A and not in B.

You might present the proof in "Truth Table" format and show equivalence via Table equality. For example:
Code:
.[COLOR=Blue]-----------------------> [B]Χ(A ∩ B)[/B][/COLOR]

B
                      YES         NO

YES       [B][COLOR=Red]1 [/COLOR]         0[/B]
       A
             NO        [B]0          0[/B]

.[COLOR=Blue]----------------------> [B]Χ(A)*Χ(B)[/B][/COLOR]

B
                      YES         NO

YES    (1)*(1)    (1)*(0)
     Member            [B][COLOR=Red]1[/COLOR]          0 [/B]
       A
             NO     (0)*(1)    (0)*(0)
                       [B]0          0[/B]

Last edited:

Related to Constructing Proofs: Solving Set Functions with Characteristic Functions

1. How do I know if my proof is correct?

A proof is considered correct if it follows the rules and logic of the specific mathematical system you are working with. Make sure to check your steps carefully and use established theorems and axioms to support your argument.

2. What is the difference between direct and indirect proofs?

In a direct proof, you start with the given information and use logical steps to reach your desired conclusion. In an indirect proof, also known as a proof by contradiction, you assume the opposite of your desired conclusion and then show that it leads to a contradiction. This proves that the original statement must be true.

3. How do I choose which approach to use when constructing a proof?

The approach you use will depend on the specific problem you are trying to prove. Some problems may be better suited for a direct proof, while others may require an indirect approach. It is important to carefully analyze the given information and determine the most logical and efficient way to reach your conclusion.

4. Can I use examples to help construct my proof?

Yes, examples can be helpful in understanding the problem and finding a solution. However, they should not be used as a substitute for a formal proof. It is important to clearly explain your reasoning and use logical steps rather than just relying on examples.

5. How can I improve my proof-writing skills?

Practice is key when it comes to constructing proofs. Start with simpler problems and work your way up to more complex ones. It is also helpful to discuss your proofs with others and receive feedback. Reading and studying well-written proofs can also improve your skills in constructing proofs.