Construction of a Circuit

In summary: Garg's radio will not work properly at 220 volts as the circuit will not be able to provide enough resistance for the device to function correctly. However, parallel circuits can be used to solve this issue and provide a total resistance of 29 Ω.
τheory

Homework Statement

You are given a battery of 220 V and a radio device that requires 1600 W to run. You are also given four resistors: three 3 Ω resistors and one 20 Ω resistor. What circuit configuration will allow the radio device to run without getting fried?

The Attempt at a Solution

Power = (Voltage)2/Resistance
1600 W = (220 V)2/R
R = 30.25 Ω

So this device would require 30.25 Ω to function correctly. However, based on several circuit configurations, this magnitude of resistance isn't obtainable? For example, if I used just a complete series circuit, then the total resistance would be:

R total = R1 + R2 + R3 + R4
R total = 3 + 3 + 3 + 20 = 29 Ω total which isn't exactly 30.25

Incorporating a parallel circuit would cause resistance values to be even less than their original values because parallel circuits require the reciprocal resistance values. So if I had a circuit consisting of all the resistors parallel, then I would get:

1/R total = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + 1/R4
1/R total = 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/20
1/R total = 0.95 Ω, which is way less

Thus, can someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ummm ... The question doesn't say that radio works at 220V.
Right? :p

What do you mean?

You made certain mistakes regarding the use of the formula
like-
τheory said:

Power = (Voltage)2/Resistance
1600 W = (220 V)2/R
R = 30.25 Ω

Since the Resistance is to be attached to the circuit , the V=220 V will be wrong as there will be potential drop across the resistor (if attached in series to the radio).
So we must go like this,
Let V1 be the P.D (potential drop) across the resistor combination (R0 ), and V2 be potential drop across the radio.
Then we have that V1 + V2 = 220.
so since its a series combination of net resistance of the combination and the radio, the current through both of them will be the same.
then,
we have
IR0 + 1600/I =220
on solving , you will get a quadratic equation in terms of I.
Further, since I can be real number only so the D of quadratic equation must be >0
that will give =>
R0 < 121/16
so any combination satisfying above inequality will be the result and similarly , you can check for the parallel combination of radio and net resistance.

Zubeen

I would suggest using a combination of series and parallel circuits to achieve the desired resistance of 30.25 Ω. This can be done by connecting two of the 3 Ω resistors in parallel, giving a total resistance of 1.5 Ω, and then connecting this combination in series with the remaining 3 Ω resistor and the 20 Ω resistor. This will give a total resistance of 24.5 Ω, which is close to the desired value of 30.25 Ω. This circuit configuration will allow the radio device to run without getting fried, as it provides the correct amount of resistance to limit the flow of current and prevent overheating. It is important to carefully consider the circuit configuration and the values of the resistors in order to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the radio device.

Related to Construction of a Circuit

1. How do I construct a basic circuit?

To construct a basic circuit, you will need a power source, such as a battery, wires to connect the components, and a load, such as a light bulb or motor. Begin by connecting the positive terminal of the power source to one end of the load, then connect the other end of the load to the negative terminal of the power source. This will create a complete circuit and allow current to flow through the load, causing it to turn on.

2. What is the purpose of a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a visual representation of the components and connections in a circuit. It helps to map out the flow of electricity and identify any potential issues or areas for improvement. It also allows for easier troubleshooting and replication of the circuit.

3. How can I calculate the resistance of a circuit?

The resistance of a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current. You can measure the voltage and current of the circuit using a multimeter, and then use these values to calculate the resistance. Resistance is measured in ohms (Ω).

4. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, meaning that the current has only one path to flow through. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, allowing for multiple paths for current to flow through. This results in different behaviors for each type of circuit, such as the brightness of lights or the strength of a signal.

5. How can I troubleshoot a faulty circuit?

If your circuit is not working properly, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue. First, check all of your connections to make sure they are secure. Next, use a multimeter to check for any breaks in the circuit or unexpected resistance values. You can also try replacing components or adjusting the circuit design to see if that resolves the issue.