Continued fraction convergents

• Thread starter shelford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, a continued fraction convergent is an approximation of an original fraction obtained by truncating a continued fraction. The convergents of a continued fraction can be found using a recursive algorithm, with the final convergent being the truncated continued fraction. There are two types of continued fractions - simple and regular, with simple continued fractions representing rational numbers and regular continued fractions representing irrational numbers. Continued fraction convergents have various uses in mathematics, including number theory, algebra, and analysis, as well as practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and finance.
shelford
Hi, I think I have the first part of the question correct but can't seem to get the second so any help would be fantastic.

Q: Express [tex]\frac{327}{117}[/tex] as a continued fraction and find the convergents of it.

My working:
[tex]\frac{327}{117}=2 +\frac{93}{117} =2+\frac{1}{\frac{117}{93}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{117}{93}=1 + \frac{24}{93} =1+\frac{1}{\frac{93}{24}}[/tex]

I continue like this to finally get:

[tex]\frac{327}{117}=2 + \frac{1}{1+ \frac{1}{3+\frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{7}}}}[/tex].

I think it is right, but I can't get the second part at all.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
2.0000000000000 = 2
3.0000000000000 = 3
2.7500000000000 = 11/4
2.8000000000000 = 14/5
2.7948717948718 = 109/39 = 327/117

Related to Continued fraction convergents

1. What is a continued fraction convergent?

A continued fraction convergent is a number that is obtained by truncating a continued fraction at a certain point. It is an approximation of the original fraction and can be used to represent irrational numbers.

2. How do you find the convergents of a continued fraction?

The convergents of a continued fraction can be found by using a recursive algorithm. Starting from the bottom of the continued fraction, you can work your way up and calculate the convergents at each step. The final convergent will be the truncated continued fraction.

3. What is the difference between a simple and a regular continued fraction?

A simple continued fraction has only positive integer coefficients in its expansion, while a regular continued fraction can have any real number coefficients. Simple continued fractions are used to represent rational numbers, while regular continued fractions can represent irrational numbers.

4. How are continued fraction convergents used?

Continued fraction convergents are used in various fields of mathematics, including number theory, algebra, and analysis. They are also used in cryptography, as well as in approximating irrational numbers in calculations.

5. What are some real-life applications of continued fraction convergents?

Continued fraction convergents have practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are used in designing algorithms, analyzing data, and modeling systems. They are also used in financial calculations, such as determining interest rates and exchange rates.