Continuity correction when using normal as approximation for binomial

In summary, if the value of X is not integer, such as P(X < 1.2), then the continuity correction must be made.
songoku
TL;DR Summary
I have learnt how to do continuity correction when the value of random variable is integer, such as P(X < 5) changes to P(X < 4.5) when the distribution changes from binomial to normal
What if the value of X is not integer, such as P(X < 1.2)?

a) Will the continuity correction be P(X < 1.2 - 0.5) = P(X < 0.7)?

or

b) Will the continuity correction be P(X < 1.2 - 0.05) = P(X < 1.15)?

or

c) Something else?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand why we have to make the continuity correction for an integer (i.e. discontinuous) variable?

Likes songoku
pbuk said:
Do you understand why we have to make the continuity correction for an integer (i.e. discontinuous) variable?
Because binomial distribution is discrete distribution so to change it to normal distribution (continuous distribution) there should be adjustment. I am thinking like changing a line of x = 4 (discrete) to a box where the left vertex of the box is 3.5 and right vertex is 4.5 so that the box can touch the other box made from line x = 3 and x = 5 (becoming continuous distribution)

So how does that apply when you have a line at 1.2?

Likes songoku
pbuk said:
So how does that apply when you have a line at 1.2?
It means I have to know the location of other lines. I am trying to form a hypothetical question regarding this but I just can't think of one.

So if the location of other lines are 1.1 and 1.3, P(X < 1.2) will be P(X < 1.15) and P(X > 1.2) will be P(X > 1.25)

But if the location of other lines is not in regular intervals, such as one is at 1.1 and the other is at 1.4, then P(X < 1.2) will be P(X < 1.15) and P(X > 1.2) will be P(X > 1.3)?

Thanks

If your data is discrete so that it is only possible for a 'line' (whatever that is) to take values of 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc. then a continuity correction may make sense, but if it the data are by nature continuous but there just happen to be some gaps then it would not make sense.

Likes songoku
pbuk said:
If your data is discrete so that it is only possible for a 'line' (whatever that is) to take values of 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc. then a continuity correction may make sense, but if it the data are by nature continuous but there just happen to be some gaps then it would not make sense.
I understand. I haven't encountered such questions. All the practice questions are about integers so my query is only due to curiosity.

Is it not possible to have discrete data with irregular intervals, such as 1.1 , 1.3 , 1.4 , 1.9?

Thanks

songoku said:
Is it not possible to have discrete data with irregular intervals, such as 1.1 , 1.3 , 1.4 , 1.9?
Of course it is, but the continuity correction is not about what values the data actually take, rather it is about what values the data can possibly take.

Likes songoku
pbuk said:
Of course it is, but the continuity correction is not about what values the data actually take, rather it is about what values the data can possibly take.
So is it correct to say that if the data is 1.1 , 1.3 , 1.4 and 1.9 the continuity correction for P(X < 1.3) is P(X < 1.2) and for P(X > 1.3) is P(X > 1.35)?

What if for P(X < 1.5)? Since the midpoint of 1.4 and 1.9 is 1.65, would the continuity correction for P( X< 1.5) be P(X > 1.65)?

Thanks

songoku said:
So is it correct to say that if the data is 1.1 , 1.3 , 1.4 and 1.9 the continuity correction for P(X < 1.3) is P(X < 1.2) and for P(X > 1.3) is P(X > 1.35)?
This would only be the case if the data was binned with variable width bins including (1.1, 1.3) and (1.3, 1.4).

songoku said:
What if for P(X < 1.5)? Since the midpoint of 1.4 and 1.9 is 1.65, would the continuity correction for P( X< 1.5) be P(X > 1.65)?
This would only be the case if the data was binned with variable width bins including (1.4, 1.9).

But unless there was a good reason for binning the data you would get a better result by using individual samples.

It is good to be curious, but I think you have got lost down a rabbit hole; it's time to move on.

Likes songoku
Thank you very much pbuk

1. What is continuity correction when using normal as approximation for binomial?

Continuity correction is a statistical technique that is used when approximating a binomial distribution with a normal distribution. It adjusts for the fact that the normal distribution is continuous, while the binomial distribution is discrete.

2. Why is continuity correction necessary when using normal as approximation for binomial?

Continuity correction is necessary because the normal distribution is continuous, meaning it assigns probabilities to an infinite number of values. On the other hand, the binomial distribution is discrete, meaning it only assigns probabilities to a finite number of values. This can lead to inaccuracies when approximating a binomial distribution with a normal distribution.

3. How is continuity correction applied when using normal as approximation for binomial?

Continuity correction is applied by adjusting the boundaries of the normal distribution to account for the discrete nature of the binomial distribution. This is typically done by subtracting or adding 0.5 to the upper and lower boundaries, depending on the direction of the approximation.

4. When should continuity correction be used when using normal as approximation for binomial?

Continuity correction should be used when approximating a binomial distribution with a normal distribution if the sample size is small (less than 30) or if the probability of success is close to 0 or 1. In these cases, the normal approximation may not accurately represent the binomial distribution without the use of continuity correction.

5. Are there any limitations to using continuity correction when using normal as approximation for binomial?

Yes, there are limitations to using continuity correction. It is only applicable when the sample size is small or the probability of success is close to 0 or 1. Additionally, it may not provide an accurate approximation for highly skewed binomial distributions. In these cases, alternative methods of approximation should be considered.