Continuity of piecewise function of two variables

In summary: Thus, f is not continuous at (0,0).In summary, the conversation discusses the function f(x,y) and its properties at the point (0,0). It is shown that f approaches 0 as (x,y) approaches (0,0) along a path of the form y=mx^a with a<4. However, it is also shown that f is discontinuous at (0,0) and on two entire curves. To prove this, the definition of continuity at a point is used and it is shown that there exist points arbitrarily close to (0,0) for which f(x,y) = 1, but f(0,0) = 0. This is proven using an epsilon
A330NEO
The question looks like this.
Let ##f(x, y)## = 0 if [itex]y\leq 0[/itex] or [itex]y\geq x^4[/itex], and [itex]f(x, y)[/itex] = 1 if [itex]0 < y < x^4 [/itex].
(a) show that [itex]f(x, y) \rightarrow 0[/itex] as [itex](x, y) \rightarrow (0, 0)[/itex] along any path through (0, 0) of the form [itex] y = mx^a [/itex] with [itex]a < 4[/itex].
(b) Despite part (a), show that [itex]f[/itex] is discontinuous at (0, 0)
(c) Show that [itex]f[/itex] is discontinuous on two entire curves.
What I've came to conclusion is that when [itex] x<0, m>0 [/itex], and [itex]a[/itex] being an odd number, [itex]y[/itex] becomes smaller then zero, so [itex]f(x, y)[/itex] can't be any larger than zero. But I don't think that's not enough. I think I need to find a way to generalize that [itex] mx^a (a<4) [/itex]is larger than [itex]x^4[/itex] or smaller than 0 when [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] is close enough to zero, where I cant' quite get to.
In regarding (b), I know [itex]f(x, y)[/itex] is discontinuous on certain directions, but can't elaborate it in decent form.
In regarding (C), How can I show it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For (a): The only way [itex]f(x,mx^a)[/itex] can equal 1 is if [itex]0 < mx^a < x^4[/itex]. If both [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]x^a[/itex] are positive then this requires [itex]|x| > m^{1/(4 - a)}[/itex]. Is that true as [itex]|x| \to 0[/itex], or is there a point beyond which this constraint is violated? What can you say about the case when both [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]x^a[/itex] are negative?

For (b): Can you show that there are points (x,y) arbitrarily close to (0,0) for which f(x,y) = 1, and yet f(0,0) = 0?

For (c): Use the above idea: Let (X,Y) be a point on such a curve; you need to show that there are points (x,y) arbitrarily close to (X,Y) such that [itex]|f(x,y) -f(X,Y)| = 1[/itex].

I know why the curve is incontinuous except for points on x-axis or y-axis, but I want to know how to prove it elaborately. How can I do that? can it be done by epsilon-delta? If so, then how? If not, what is the 'other way'?

The definition of continuity at a point is:

"[itex]f: \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is continuous at [itex]\mathbf{a} \in \mathbb{R}^2[/itex] if and only if for every [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that for all [itex]\mathbb{x} \in \mathbb{R}^2[/itex], if [itex]\|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{a}\| < \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(\mathbf{x}) - f(\mathbf{a})| < \epsilon[/itex]".

The negation of that is:

"[itex]f: \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is not continuous at [itex]\mathbf{a} \in \mathbb{R}^2[/itex] if and only if there exists an [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] such that for all [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] there exists an [itex]\mathbf{x} \in \mathbb{R}^2[/itex] such that [itex]\|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{a}\| < \delta[/itex] and [itex]|f(\mathbf{x}) - f(\mathbf{a})| \geq \epsilon[/itex]."

Understood. But, if we approach (0, 0) along the y-axis, regardless of if y >0 or y<0, isn't it continuous? Is it considered discontinuous because there is no 'width' of the contacting point?

A330NEO said:
Understood. But, if we approach (0, 0) along the y-axis, regardless of if y >0 or y<0, isn't it continuous? Is it considered discontinuous because there is no 'width' of the contacting point?

Any non-constant function from the plane to {0,1} is of necessity discontinuous. If you compose such a function with a path on which the function is constant, then the result is a constant function from (an interval of) the reals to {0,1}, which is continuous. Here the y-axis lies entirely within the region in which f = 0. There are, of course, points arbitrarily close to (0,0) which lie in the region in which f = 1, which is why f is not continuous at (0,0).

If you want an epsilon-delta proof of that, take [itex]\epsilon = \frac12[/itex] and [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] arbitrary. Let [itex]\delta' = \min\{\delta, 2^{4/3}\}[/itex] and consider the point [itex](\frac12 \delta', \frac{1}{32}\delta'^4)[/itex]. This by construction satisfies [tex]
\|(\tfrac12 \delta', \tfrac{1}{32}\delta'^4)\| = \left( \frac14 \delta'^2 + \frac{1}{2^{10}}\delta'^8\right)^{1/2} < \sqrt{\tfrac12 \delta'^2} < \delta
[/tex] and [tex]f(\tfrac12 \delta', \tfrac{1}{32}\delta'^4) = 1.[/tex]

1. What is a piecewise function of two variables?

A piecewise function of two variables is a mathematical function that is defined by different expressions for different parts of its domain. This means that the function may have different rules for different intervals or regions of the input variables.

2. How do you determine continuity of a piecewise function of two variables?

To determine continuity of a piecewise function of two variables, you must check if the function is continuous at every point where the different pieces of the function meet. This means checking if the limit of the function as it approaches each point from both directions is equal to the value of the function at that point.

3. What is the importance of continuity in a piecewise function of two variables?

The concept of continuity is important in a piecewise function of two variables because it ensures that the function is well-defined and behaves consistently. A continuous function will not have sudden jumps or breaks in its graph, making it easier to analyze and predict its behavior.

4. Can a piecewise function of two variables be continuous at a point but not on an interval?

Yes, it is possible for a piecewise function of two variables to be continuous at a point but not on an interval. This can occur if the different pieces of the function have different rules for the same point, but when the limit is taken from both directions, the value of the function at that point is the same.

5. How do you graph a piecewise function of two variables?

To graph a piecewise function of two variables, you must graph each piece separately on its corresponding interval or region. Then, you must make sure that the pieces connect smoothly at the points where they meet and check for any breaks or discontinuities in the graph.