Contractions of the Euclidean Group ISO(3) = E(3)

Y_i=\frac{P_i}{\epsilon}$, $I=cH$, where $\epsilon$ is a small parameter and $c$ is the speed of light. This gives us the following commutation relations:$$[X_i,P_j]=i\hbar\delta_{ij}I, [Y_i,I]=0, [X_i,I]=0, [Y_i,P_j]=0$$Note that we have assumed that $[J_x,J_y]=[P_x,P_y]=0$, which is consistent with the original commutation relations for ISO(3). Taking the limit $\epsilon \rightarrow 0$, we get the H(2) algebra:$$[X_i,P_j]=
Azure Ace

Homework Statement

Consider the contractions of the 3D Euclidean symmetry while preserving the SO(2) subgroup. In the physics point of view, explain the resulting symmetries G(2) (Galilean symmetry group) and H(3) (Heisenberg-Weyl group for quantum mechanics) and give their Lie algebras explicitly.

Homework Equations

$$ISO(3): J_{x], J_{y}, J_{z}, P_{x}, P_{y}, P_{z}$$ $$[P_{i}, P_{j}] = 0, [J_{i}, J_{j}] = i\epsilon_{ijk} J_{k}, [P_{i}, J_{j}] = i\epsilon_{ijk} P_{k}$$
$$SO(2): J_{z}$$
$$G(2): K_{x], K_{y}, J_{z}, P_{x}, P_{y}, H$$ $$[P_{i}, P_{j}] = [K_{i}, K_{j}] = [P_{i}, H] = [J_{i}, H] = [K_{i}, P_{j}] = 0, [K_{i}, H] = iP_{i}$$ $$[J_{i}, J_{j}] = i\epsilon_{ijk} J_{k}, [P_{i}, J_{j}] = i\epsilon_{ijk} P_{k}, [J_{i}, K_{j}] = i\epsilon_{ijk} K_{k}$$
$$H(2): X, Y, J_{z}, P_{x}, P_{y}, I$$ $$[X_{i}, P_{j}] = i\hbar\delta_{ij} I, [P_{i}, I] = [X_{i}, I] = 0$$

The Attempt at a Solution

For ISO(3) cotract to G(2), I tried ##K_{x} = \frac{J_{x}}{c}, K_{y} = \frac{J_{y}}{c}, H = cP_{z}## and was able to get most of the commutation relations for G(2) except that I get something which doesn't match (##[K_{x}, H] = -iP_{y}, [K_{y}, H] = iP_{x}##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also don't see how to get the Heisenberg algebra from this contraction.First, let's clarify the notation used in the problem. The square brackets in the subscripts of the generators indicate antisymmetrization, so $J_{x]$ means $J_x$ and $J_y$, and similarly for $K_{x]$ and $K_{y]$. Also, $i,j,k$ are indices running from 1 to 3, not complex numbers.

To contract ISO(3) to G(2), we can use the following scaling: $K_x = \frac{J_x}{\epsilon}$, $K_y = \frac{J_y}{\epsilon}$, $H = cP_z$, where $\epsilon$ is a small parameter and $c$ is the speed of light. This gives us the following commutation relations:
$$[P_i,P_j]=0, [K_i,K_j]=0, [P_i,H]=0, [K_i,H]=iP_i, [J_i,J_j]=i\epsilon_{ijk}J_k, [P_i,J_j]=i\epsilon_{ijk}P_k, [J_i,K_j]=i\epsilon_{ijk}K_k$$
Note that we have assumed that $[P_z,P_x]=[P_z,P_y]=0$ and $[J_z,P_x]=[J_z,P_y]=0$, which is consistent with the original commutation relations for ISO(3).

To get the Heisenberg algebra from this contraction, we can take the limit as $\epsilon \rightarrow 0$. In this limit, the generators $K_x$ and $K_y$ become infinitely large, and therefore $[K_x,K_y]=0$. This gives us the Heisenberg algebra:
$$[P_i,P_j]=0, [X_i,X_j]=0, [P_i,X_j]=i\hbar\delta_{ij}I$$
where $X_i=\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} K_i$. Note that we have also taken the limit $c\rightarrow \infty$ to get rid of the $H$ generator, since it becomes infinitely large in this limit.

Finally, to get the H(2) algebra, we need to contract ISO(3) to H(3). This can be done by taking the following scaling: $X_i=\frac{J_i}{

1. What is the Euclidean Group ISO(3)?

The Euclidean Group ISO(3) is a mathematical concept that represents the group of all rigid transformations (rotations and translations) in three-dimensional Euclidean space. It is denoted as E(3) and is commonly used in the field of robotics, computer graphics, and physics.

2. What are contractions of the Euclidean Group ISO(3)?

Contractions of the Euclidean Group ISO(3) refer to a special type of transformation that preserves the Euclidean distance between two points in space. This means that the size and shape of an object remain the same after the transformation. Examples of contractions include rotations and translations.

3. How are contractions of the Euclidean Group ISO(3) used in robotics?

In robotics, contractions of the Euclidean Group ISO(3) are used to describe the movement of a robot in three-dimensional space. By applying a series of contractions, we can determine the position and orientation of the robot at any given time, allowing it to perform tasks such as grasping objects or navigating through an environment.

4. Can contractions of the Euclidean Group ISO(3) be combined?

Yes, contractions of the Euclidean Group ISO(3) can be combined to create more complex transformations. For example, combining a rotation and translation can result in a movement that involves both rotation and translation simultaneously. These combinations are often used in computer graphics to create realistic animations.

5. How does the concept of contractions relate to other mathematical concepts?

The concept of contractions of the Euclidean Group ISO(3) is related to other mathematical concepts such as Lie groups and matrix algebra. Lie groups are a type of mathematical group that describe continuous transformations, while matrix algebra is used to represent and manipulate these transformations. This makes contractions of the Euclidean Group ISO(3) a useful tool in various fields of mathematics and science.