Contradiction in a charge redistribution problem

In summary: The title of the thread is:In summary, two identical metallic spheres, one with a charge of 6 C and the other neutral, are brought into contact and then separated. The charge of each sphere will redistribute equally, resulting in each sphere having a charge of +3. Some sources may suggest that the charges will remain at +6 and 0, but this is not correct. The charge redistribution is due to the principle that a conductor is an equipotential, meaning that every part of the conductor will be at the same potential.
Raihan amin

Homework Statement

There are two metallic spheres, of same kind ,separeted from one another .One of them has charge 6 C wheras the another one is neutral.They are brought in contact for a long time.Then they are separeted again.Now what is the charges of the spheres?

Homework Equations

: [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that this charge will redistribute equally between the two sphers.so The charge of each sphere is +3.but in some references,i found the charges will remain +6,0.
Please help me to find out the right thing.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Raihan amin said:

Homework Statement

There are two metallic spheres, of same kind ,separeted from one another .One of them has charge 6 C wheras the another one is neutral.They are brought in contact for a long time.Then they are separeted again.Now what is the charges of the spheres?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that this charge will redistribute equally between the two sphers.so The charge of each sphere is +3.but in some references,i found the charges will remain +6,0.
Thanks
Are you saying that you found references claiming that one conductor will retain its charge and the other will be neutral? Can you provide these references?

Raihan amin said:
Thanks

What "some references"?

In this forum, you simply can't say that without providing clear and exact citation.

Zz.

The principle is that a conductor is an equipotential. Every part of the conductor will be at the same potential. When touching, the charge will redistribute so that both spheres are at the same potential.

Raihan amin said:
I assume that this charge will redistribute equally between the two sphers.so The charge of each sphere is +3

If they are identical in radius, then yes, this is the equipotential situation. If they are not, then you would have to work out what distribution of charge gives you the same potential on both spheres using the expression for potential of a charged conducing sphere.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/potsph.html

Raihan amin said:
in some references,i found the charges will remain +6,0.
That is not going to be the solution for any situation with two conducting spheres. You misread something or misremembered something.

Yeah.i misunderstand the article .sorry for creating confusion

Attachments

• statics.pdf
    138.8 KB · Views: 208
RPinPA said:
If they are identical in radius, then yes, this is the equipotential situation. If they are not, then you would have to work out what distribution of charge gives you the same potential on both spheres using the expression for potential of a charged conducing sphere.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/potsph.html
Not relevant to this thread, but that link does not answer the charge distribution for unequal conducting spheres in contact. It is a much subtler problem.
According to https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/2138/05eeb99f6b0212fbc227d711bd4f4cae85eb.pdf, Maxwell (1891) showed the charge ratio to be ##\frac{\gamma+\psi(\frac b{a+b})}{\gamma+\psi(\frac a{a+b})}##, where ##\psi(z) = \frac d{dz} \ln \Gamma(z)## and ##\gamma = −\psi(1)## = 0.5772 ... is Euler’s constant. This ratio can be approximated as ##(\frac ab)^2(\frac{\pi^2}6)^\frac{a−b}{a+b}##.
(I may have been inconsistent in whether that's Qa/Qb or the other way up.)

Likes gneill
haruspex said:
Not relevant to this thread, but that link does not answer the charge distribution for unequal conducting spheres in contact.
I interpreted OP's label of the spheres as "same kind" to mean "identical". My reasoning is that, assuming that this problem is well-crafted, the ratio of radii will be given. Perhaps OP can post the question exactly as given? If the original question is in a language other than English, the possibility exists that something can be lost in translation.

kuruman said:
I interpreted OP's label of the spheres as "same kind" to mean "identical".
Yes, but I was responding to this in post #4:
RPinPA said:
If they are not, ...
As I wrote, it is not relevant to the question posed in the thread.

1. What is a contradiction in a charge redistribution problem?

A contradiction in a charge redistribution problem occurs when the total amount of charge in a system does not match the expected value. This can happen due to errors in measurements, discrepancies in theoretical calculations, or other factors.

2. What causes a contradiction to occur in a charge redistribution problem?

There can be several reasons for a contradiction in a charge redistribution problem. It could be due to experimental errors, incorrect assumptions or approximations used in theoretical calculations, or limitations of the model being used to describe the system.

3. How can a contradiction in a charge redistribution problem be resolved?

To resolve a contradiction in a charge redistribution problem, the source of the discrepancy needs to be identified and addressed. This could involve double-checking measurements, revisiting assumptions made in calculations, or refining the model being used.

4. What are the implications of a contradiction in a charge redistribution problem?

A contradiction in a charge redistribution problem can have significant implications on the validity of a theory or model being used to describe a system. It could also lead to further research and investigation to better understand the underlying mechanisms at play.

5. How can scientists prevent contradictions in charge redistribution problems?

To prevent contradictions in charge redistribution problems, scientists need to ensure careful and precise measurements, critically evaluate assumptions and approximations made in calculations, and constantly refine and improve the models being used to describe the system. Collaborating with other scientists and peer-reviewing research can also help identify potential contradictions.