Work done by moving charge from one sphere to another?

In summary: The work is the amount of energy that needs to be added in order to move the charge from one place to another.
Brennen berkley

Homework Statement

Consider two metal spheres, sphere 1 having radius R1 = 20 cm, and sphere 2 having a radius R2 = 10 cm. The two are rather close to one another, separated by a center-to-center distance of only 80 cm. Suppose now that they are connected to each other by a thin wire that is broken open in the middle by a switch. Initially sphere 1 is charged to 5 nC, and sphere 2 is neutral. When the switch is closed, charge moves spontaneously from sphere 1 to sphere 2 un- til equilibrium is reached. (For simplicity, assume that the charge is uniformly distributed on their surfaces, neglecting the fact that the two spheres tend to polarize one another, and assume that very little charge remains on the con- necting wire because it is so thin.) What is the maximum work (in Joules) that could be extracted from the discharge process if one were so inclined?

Homework Equations

Q1/R1 = Q2/R2
W = Q2/2C

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated how much charge moved from sphere 1 to sphere 2:
Q1/R1 = Q2/R2
Q2 = 10(5 - Q2)/20
Q2 = 1.66 nC

I don't know how to convert that charge into work done, since it isn't a capacitor or a uniform electric field. If I calculate the voltage between the two spheres I could treat them as I would a capacitor, but I'm not sure how to do that. Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the initial potential energy? The final?
Brennen berkley said:
I calculate the voltage between the two spheres I could treat them as I would a capacitor, but I'm not sure how to do that.
What is the necessary condition for a two-body system to be a capacitor? (Think in terms of charge) Is this satisfied here?

Hope this helps.

To be a capacitor there just has to be a charge difference between the two objects (voltage), but I'm not sure how to calculate the potential energy, that's the problem.

You might want to investigate the self-capacitance of a conducting sphere.

I just don't understand how to figure out the capacitance, because it depends on the distance between the plates or whatever shape the capacitor is on. Voltage also depends on distance. Since the charge is traveling through a wire, distance doesn't have any affect on the problem (correct me if I'm wrong), so what do I use in place of distance to find the capacitance/voltage?

Oh, ok I found this equation for the self capacitance of a sphere
2cf5e921d437ccb90f23b9dd839d25c7.png

The first few pages I looked at had other things that weren't useful.

Using that equation, the work would be W = Q22/8πεoR2 = 1.248*1012 = 1.25 x 10-6 J. Is that right?

I think you would actually do the calculation using R1 because it's losing energy, but shouldn't the energy gained by the second sphere equal the energy lost by the first sphere? I don't understand which capacitance to use when calculating the work. It seems like the capacitance should be a value that involves both of the spheres, but I have yet to find an equation or anything for that.

You have an initial stored energy associated with the first spherical capacitor. After the charge movement you have two capacitors, each with some charge, and so each storing some amount of energy. The total stored energy is then the sum of the two.

So you have some initial stored energy and some final stored energy...

Likes Qwertywerty

1. What is the definition of work done by moving charge from one sphere to another?

Work done by moving charge from one sphere to another refers to the amount of energy needed to transfer a charged particle from one sphere to another. It is measured in joules (J) and is dependent on the electric potential difference between the two spheres.

2. How is the work done by moving charge calculated?

The work done by moving charge can be calculated using the equation W = qΔV, where W is the work done, q is the charge of the particle, and ΔV is the potential difference between the two spheres.

3. What factors affect the work done by moving charge?

The work done by moving charge is affected by the magnitude of the charge, the distance between the two spheres, and the electric potential difference between them. It is also affected by any external forces or fields present in the system.

4. How does the direction of the charge affect the work done?

The work done by moving charge may be positive or negative, depending on the direction of the charge. If the charge is moving in the direction of the electric field, then the work done is negative, indicating a decrease in potential energy. If the charge is moving against the electric field, then the work done is positive, indicating an increase in potential energy.

5. Can the work done by moving charge be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the work done by moving charge can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or thermal energy. This is due to the conservation of energy principle, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another.