Contrapositive of a (if p and q, then r) statement?

In summary: Our goal is to show that if a\neq b, then u=0.For the second case, suppose a=b. Because by assumption a\neq b, we thus have a=b. Therefore, we can conclude... nothing. Our goal is to show that if a\neq b, then au\neq bu.To do this, we need to use the theorem for the inverse of a matrix. Let A be an n×n matrix, with entries in the field F. The inverse of A is the matrix whose columns are the inverse of the rows of A:A-1This equation is actually true for any matrix A, not just the inverse
SithsNGiggles

Homework Statement

I hope this is the right place to post this.

For my linear algebra homework, I have to prove that
"If [itex]\vec{u} \neq \vec{0}[/itex] and [itex]a\vec{u} = b\vec{u}[/itex], then [itex]a = b[/itex]."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to prove the contrapositive, but I'm not sure how to alter the statement.

I think it's something like
"If [itex]a \neq b[/itex], then [itex]\vec{u}=\vec{0}[/itex] or [itex]a\vec{u} \neq b\vec{u}[/itex]."

But then I don't know where to begin, so I'm guessing a proof by contrapositive isn't the right method to use here. It seems to me that a direct proof might me simpler, but I guess I wanted to challenge myself. Any ideas? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A direct proof would be simpler here. Basically what you're trying to prove is the cancellation law.

I'm sure you're in a field here, particularly a vector space. What do you know about the properties of a vector space? Think about axioms.

Last edited:
Well we know quite a few axioms, and we also know other properties as a result of earlier proofs.

My "direct proof" goes like this:
Let [itex]U[/itex] be a vector space and [itex]\vec{u} \in U[/itex]. Let [itex]a,b[/itex] be arbitrary scalars.

Given that [itex]a\vec{u} = b\vec{u}[/itex], by substitution we have
[itex]\frac{1}{a} (a\vec{u}) = \frac{1}{a} (b\vec{u})[/itex].

By axiom 9 (an associative property),
[itex](\frac{1}{a} \cdot a) \vec{u} = (\frac{1}{a} \cdot b) \vec{u}[/itex]
[itex](1) \vec{u} = \frac{b}{a} \vec{u}[/itex]

So for equality to hold, we must have
[itex]1 = \frac{b}{a}[/itex], and from this it follows that
[itex]a = b[/itex]. Q.E.D.

I wrote this up pretty quickly, so I agree that the direct proof is easier. Is there a way to work with the contrapositive, though? It doesn't look like it to me.

Wait what substitution? You multiplied by the left inverse of a, that's not a substitution. Also, your vector u doesn't automatically cancel out of thin air. The point is, you have to argue as to why u is going to cancel.

You have that u is non-zero and au = bu. You want to show that a = b.

Since u is a non-zero vector... hmm ;). Another hint is to abandon the fraction notation and use inverse notation.

My professor considers "multiplying both sides by the same thing" to be substitution. I think what he means by that is since, for example, for some vectors u and v, if u=v then au = av. Does that clear it up?

As for getting rid of the vector u, I just matched up the scalar coefficients. I don't how else to describe what it is I did there... I guess I'm saying I don't actually get rid of u. How is this normally shown in a proof knowing that u is non-zero?

Edit: I think I can answer my own question.
[itex](1)\vec{u} = \frac{b}{a}\vec{u}[/itex]
[itex](1)\vec{u} + (-\frac{b}{a}\vec{u}) = \frac{b}{a}\vec{u} + (-\frac{b}{a}\vec{u})[/itex]
[itex](1)\vec{u} - \frac{b}{a}\vec{u} = \vec{0}[/itex]
[itex](1 - \frac{b}{a})\vec{u} = \vec{0}[/itex]

Since u is non-zero, it follows that (1 - b/a) = 0, and then I solve to get a=b. Is this right?

Last edited:
If u is non-zero, then it has an inverse? What happens if you apply the inverse to what you're trying to show.

Zondrina said:
If u is non-zero, then it has an inverse? What happens if you apply the inverse to what you're trying to show.

We haven't learned anything about inverse vectors, but I think I get what you're saying here. I figured another way which I added to my last comment.

Edit: Oops, I misinterpreted "inverse." I was thinking multiplicative for some reason...

Ah you haven't been taught about it. The problem with what you're doing is you're assuming a has an inverse. What if a=0? The whole thing goes down the drain.

Sorry, I was mistaken. We actually did learn about the inverse of a vector, namely the negative of a vector. I don't know... I knew of the additive inverse but it didn't quite register.

And it looks like I have to provide a proof for when either a or b are zero. Thanks for reminding me.

SithsNGiggles said:
Sorry, I was mistaken. We actually did learn about the inverse of a vector, namely the negative of a vector. I don't know... I knew of the additive inverse but it didn't quite register.

And it looks like I have to provide a proof for when either a or b are zero. Thanks for reminding me.

Why are you dividing by anything? You've got (a-b)u=0 where u is nonzero. Isn't that enough?

I believe the contrapositive here would be what you guessed it to be. As others have said, I think its easier to prove directly. For fun, let's prove the contrapositive, worded better for proving:

"For any vector [itex]u[/itex], in some vector space [itex]V[/itex], and any scalars [itex]a,b[/itex], in some field [itex]F[/itex], consider the equation [itex]au=bu[/itex], with truth of equality undetermined. If [itex]a \neq b[/itex], then either [itex]u=0[/itex] (so that [itex]au=bu[/itex]), or [itex]au \neq bu[/itex]."

Let's begin the proof. For the first case, suppose [itex]u\neq 0[/itex]. Because by assumption [itex]a\neq b[/itex], we thus have [itex]a-b\neq 0[/itex]. Therefore, we can conclude that

[itex](a-b)u\neq 0[/itex]

From this we can easily conclude by moving terms around that it must be that [itex]au\neq bu[/itex]. (How?) Next, suppose instead (working on the second and final case) that [itex]u=0[/itex]. To be clear, we want to draw from this that [itex]au=bu[/itex]. Of course, that is obvious.

Note that, because this is a mathematical statement, the "or" component means we could have both parts of the conclusion of the statement, i.e. both that [itex]u=0[/itex] and [itex]au \neq bu[/itex]. However, this cannot be. (Why?) So, I guess for this theorem (problem), it must be that we can only have one or the other condition, i.e. it is an "exclusive-or" conclusion, rather "inclusive-or."

This concludes the proof.

My bad if I did anything wrong. I'm a bit tired, but I feel like there's enough good info there to give reason for me to submit this reply, anyway

Dick said:
Why are you dividing by anything? You've got (a-b)u=0 where u is nonzero. Isn't that enough?

I looked over the proof last night and I realized that now (that I have (a - b)u = 0). Thanks!

And to 5hassay, I think I follow. Since it's an exclusive-or statement, would that mean I would only have to show one for the statement to hold?

SithsNGiggles said:
...And to 5hassay, I think I follow. Since it's an exclusive-or statement, would that mean I would only have to show one for the statement to hold?

If I understand correctly, since our conclusion is a "result 1 OR result 2" conclusion, and it appears we can only have one or the other, but not both, i.e. the "OR" as an "exclusive-or," then we must show both that result 1 can occur while result 2 does not occur, and, likewise, that result 2 can occur while result 1 does not occur

Related to Contrapositive of a (if p and q, then r) statement?

1. What is the contrapositive of a statement?

The contrapositive of a statement is an equivalent statement formed by negating both the hypothesis and conclusion of the original statement. For example, the contrapositive of "if it rains, then the ground is wet" would be "if the ground is not wet, then it is not raining."

2. How is the contrapositive of a statement useful?

The contrapositive of a statement can be useful in proving or disproving the original statement. If the contrapositive is true, then the original statement must also be true. This can be helpful in mathematical proofs and logical arguments.

3. Is the contrapositive always true?

No, the contrapositive of a statement is not always true. It is only guaranteed to be true if the original statement is a logically valid statement, meaning that the conclusion must logically follow from the hypothesis.

4. How is the contrapositive different from the inverse of a statement?

The contrapositive and the inverse are both formed by negating parts of the original statement, but they are not equivalent. The inverse negates only the hypothesis, while the contrapositive negates both the hypothesis and conclusion. In other words, the contrapositive is the inverse of the converse of a statement.

5. Can the contrapositive of a statement be proven using a truth table?

Yes, the contrapositive of a statement can be proven using a truth table. This involves listing out all possible combinations of truth values for the hypothesis and conclusion, and then determining if the contrapositive statement also holds true for each combination. If the contrapositive holds true in every case, then it can be considered logically equivalent to the original statement.