Control theory related question

In summary, the problem at hand is finding the open loop transfer function of a home build system using the open loop step response, which is an under damped response. The response will never reach a set point and will continue oscillating with a constant amplitude and frequency. The general form of the transfer function for a second order system is G(s) = a/(s^2+bs+c) = Kwn2/(s2+2zwns+wn2). However, the challenge lies in finding the transfer function from the given open loop response. The student is seeking help as they are an electronics engineering student without a background in fluid mechanics, which is needed to analyze the system dynamics.
Uridan

Homework Statement

Assume an under damped transient response graph, the graph will have the form of an envelope. My problem is that I need to find the open loop transfer function of my home build system (for a project) by using the open loop step response (which is an under damped response) to find the open loop transfer function. Another problem is that the response will never reach a set point, i.e when the settling time has been reached the graph will keep oscillating with a constant amplitude and frequency, and the set point is the origin.

For this problem let us assume a general under damped response with a step input from 0 to 5, i.e the rise time will start from 0 and the set point is at 5. Also overshoot etc.. can be taken any reasonable value for this example. (to keep it in general for others to understand)

Homework Equations

an under damped response is definitely a second order system or higher so:

The general form of the transfer function of a second order system is

G(s) = a/(s^2+bs+c) = Kwn2/(s2+2zwns+wn2).

How can I find the transfer function G(s)= Y(s)/X(s) of the system with the current open loop response that I have described above?

Note that I am an electronics engineering student and couldn't find the model dynamics of the system (ball flouting in a jet stream of air) since I have no background in fluid mechanics and we all know how complex aerodynamics is :), so I am taking this approach to be able to find the right controller to make this system stable.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure how to solve this problem, since I don't know how to analyze an under damped response to find the transfer function. Any help would be great.

Related to Control theory related question

1. What is control theory?

Control theory is a branch of engineering and mathematics that deals with the behavior of dynamical systems and how to control their output using feedback mechanisms. It involves using mathematical models to understand and manipulate the behavior of complex systems.

2. What is the purpose of control theory?

The purpose of control theory is to design control systems that can regulate and manipulate the behavior of a system to achieve a desired output. This can be used in a variety of applications such as robotics, manufacturing, and economics.

3. What are the key components of a control system?

A control system typically consists of a sensor, a controller, and an actuator. The sensor measures the output of the system, the controller processes this information and generates a control signal, and the actuator carries out the control action to affect the system's behavior.

4. What are the types of control systems?

There are two main types of control systems: open-loop systems and closed-loop systems. Open-loop systems do not use feedback and rely on a predetermined control input, while closed-loop systems use feedback to adjust the control input based on the system's output.

5. What are the applications of control theory?

Control theory has a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to design and control systems in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing. It also has applications in financial markets, healthcare, and environmental systems.