Conundrum of Solving True Anomaly in Binary Orbits: A Scientist's Dilemma

In summary, the equation tan(v + ω) = tan(θ - Ω)sec(i) appears to be a solution to the problem, but it can be complicated to find.
Rod_123
I have a real doosy that has got me stumped.
I need to solve the following equation for v:
tan(v + ω) = tan(θ + Ω)sec(i)

The symbols stand for the following values in an elliptical orbit of one point source around another (on the celestial sphere):
where v = true anomaly; ω = argument of periastron; θ = position angle; Ω = position angle of the ascending node; i = orbital inclination (to line of sight)

The following obvious solutions don't actually work (at least not for every case):
v = atan(tan(θ + Ω)sec(i)) - ω
v = atan2(sin(θ + Ω)sec(i), cos(θ + Ω)) - ω

I think the reason the first one doesn't work is to do with quadrant issues when taking the arctangent.
I think the reason the second one doesn't work has something to do with the direction of orbital motion. I've tried:
v = atan2(± sin(θ + Ω)sec(i), cos(θ + Ω)) - ω, but that doesn't work either in every case.

There is a convoluted solution on page 643 of:
http://ajbasweb.com/old/ajbas/2014/November/640-648.pdf
but try as I might I cannot make this work (in Octave/Matlab) and it does seem unnecessarily complicated.

Either way I've been working on this for weeks and just can't get it. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Rod

Astronomy news on Phys.org
http://orbitsimulator.com/formulas/OrbitalElements.html
Here's a calculator I made that will do it for you.
But the method is a bit different. It computes it from the R and V vectors and the Sun's mu (G*M), rather than directly from the other elements.
You can view the source and read the javascript. Search for "var TA = arctan2(TAy, TAx);" and work backwards from there.

Thanks for the reply, but I can't see how this is relevant to my problem - that could be my fault though. They both involve arctangents but the knowns are different. All I know are the variables listed (except v of course) and the direction of motion/orbit (clockwise or anti). Another issue I forgot to mention that may be relevant is that in many cases there is data for more than one orbit. I've tried just selecting data for one orbit, but still doesn't work.

Oops, that should be: tan(v + ω) = tan(θ - Ω)sec(i)

What is the true anomaly of a binary orbit?

The true anomaly of a binary orbit is the angle between the periapsis (closest point) of the orbit and the current position of the orbiting object, as measured from the center of the primary object. It is a measure of the object's position along its elliptical orbit.

How is the true anomaly of a binary orbit calculated?

The true anomaly can be calculated using Kepler's equation, which takes into account the eccentricity of the orbit and the mean anomaly (the angle between the periapsis and the hypothetical position of the orbiting object if it were moving at a constant speed).

What is the difference between true anomaly and eccentric anomaly?

The true anomaly and eccentric anomaly are both measures of the position of an object along its elliptical orbit. However, the true anomaly is measured from the center of the primary object while the eccentric anomaly is measured from the focus (the point where the primary object would be if it had no mass).

Can the true anomaly of a binary orbit change over time?

Yes, the true anomaly of a binary orbit can change over time due to gravitational interactions with other objects, such as other planets or stars. It can also change due to the eccentricity of the orbit or the mass of the primary object.

How does the true anomaly affect the motion of an object in a binary orbit?

The true anomaly affects the speed and direction of an object in a binary orbit. When the true anomaly is 0 degrees (at periapsis), the object is moving at its fastest speed. As the true anomaly increases, the object's speed decreases until it reaches 180 degrees (at apoapsis), where it is moving at its slowest speed. The direction of the object's motion also changes as the true anomaly increases, with the object moving in a counterclockwise direction around the primary object.