Convergence in Measure: Understanding and Proving Almost Everywhere Convergence

In summary, the book says that it's easily seen that if two measurable functions converge in measure to each other, then they are the same almost everywhere. I don't see it.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Not sure where to post about measure theory. None of the forums seems quite right.

Suppose that ##(X,\Sigma,\mu)## is a measure space. A sequence ##\langle f_n\rangle_{n=1}^\infty## of almost everywhere real-valued measurable functions on X is said to converge in measure to a measurable function f, if for all ε>0, ##\mu(\{x\in X:|f_n(x)-f(x)|\geq\varepsilon\})\to 0##.

The book says that it's easily seen that if ##\langle f_n\rangle## converges in measure to two measurable functions f and g, then f=g almost everywhere. I don't see it.

I understand that I need to prove that ##\mu(\{x\in X: |f(x)-g(x)|>0\})=0##, but I don't even see how to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that

[tex]|f(x)-g(x)|\leq |f(x)-f_n(x)|+|f_n(x)-g(x)|[/tex]

So if [itex]|f(x)-g(x)|\geq \varepsilon[/itex], then also

[tex]|f(x)-f_n(x)|+|f_n(x)-g(x)|\geq \varepsilon[/tex].

But this must mean that either [itex]|f(x)-f_n(x)|\geq \varepsilon/2[/itex] or [itex]|f_n(x)-g(x)|\geq \varepsilon/2[/itex] (proceed by contradiction: assume that neither holds). So

[tex]\{x\in X~\vert~|f(x)-g(x)|\geq \varepsilon\}\subseteq \{x\in X~\vert~|f(x)-f_n(x)|\geq \varepsilon/2\}\cup \{x\in X~\vert~|g(x)-f_n(x)|\geq \varepsilon/2\}[/tex]

Taking [itex]\mu[/itex] of both sides yields

[tex]\mu\{x\in X~\vert~|f(x)-g(x)|\geq \varepsilon\}\leq \mu\{x\in X~\vert~|f(x)-f_n(x)|\geq \varepsilon/2\}+ \mu\{x\in X~\vert~|g(x)-f_n(x)|\geq \varepsilon/2\}[/tex]

I think you can take it from here. It's just a limiting argument now.

Another nice argument (but a little more difficult to prove) is to show that the sequence has a subsequence which converges a.e. Now f=g a.e. by uniqueness of the limit a.e.

Fredrik said:
Not sure where to post about measure theory. None of the forums seems quite right.

From wikipedia:

"Calculus (Latin, calculus, a small stone used for counting) is a branch of mathematics focused on limits, functions, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series. This subject constitutes a major part of modern mathematics education."

and:

"Mathematical analysis, which mathematicians refer to simply as analysis, has its beginnings in the rigorous formulation of infinitesimal calculus. It is a branch of pure mathematics that includes the theories of differentiation, integration and measure, limits, infinite series,[1] and analytic functions."Seems to me this fits Calculus & Analysis.

I like Serena said:
From wikipedia:

"Calculus (Latin, calculus, a small stone used for counting) is a branch of mathematics focused on limits, functions, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series. This subject constitutes a major part of modern mathematics education."

and:

"Mathematical analysis, which mathematicians refer to simply as analysis, has its beginnings in the rigorous formulation of infinitesimal calculus. It is a branch of pure mathematics that includes the theories of differentiation, integration and measure, limits, infinite series,[1] and analytic functions."

Seems to me this fits Calculus & Analysis.

I prefer this in the probability forum. Measure theory (and convergence in probability, like here) are really important probability concepts. So it might make sense that a probabilist knows more about them then an analyst (it certainly is my experience that this is the case).

Ah, I think I understand it now. Your argument tells us that for all ##\varepsilon,\varepsilon'>0##, we have ##\mu(\{x\in X:|f(x)-g(x)|\geq\varepsilon)<\varepsilon'##. This implies that for all ##\varepsilon>0##, we have ##\mu(\{x\in X:|f(x)-g(x)|\geq\varepsilon\})=0##. We still have to do something tricky for the final step, something like this:

$$\big\{x\in X:|f(x)-g(x)|>0\big\}=\bigcup_{n=1}^\infty\bigg\{x\in X:|f(x)-g(x)|\geq\frac{1}{n}\bigg\}$$
$$\mu\big(\big\{x\in X:|f(x)-g(x)|>0\big\}\big) \leq\sum_{n=1}^\infty\mu\bigg( \bigg\{x\in X:|f(x)-g(x)|\geq\frac{1}{n}\bigg\} \bigg)=0$$ Thank you.

1. What is convergence in measure?

Convergence in measure is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a sequence of functions or measures. It means that as the index of the sequence increases, the values of the functions or measures get closer and closer to each other.

2. How is convergence in measure different from other types of convergence?

Convergence in measure is different from other types of convergence, such as pointwise convergence or uniform convergence, because it does not require the functions or measures to converge at every point. Instead, it only requires that the values of the functions or measures get arbitrarily close at a large portion of the domain.

3. What is the significance of convergence in measure?

Convergence in measure is a useful tool in studying the behavior of sequences of functions or measures. It allows us to analyze the convergence of a sequence without requiring strong assumptions, such as continuity or differentiability. It is also closely related to other important concepts in mathematics, such as integrability and weak convergence.

4. How is convergence in measure defined?

Convergence in measure is defined as follows: for a given sequence of functions or measures, we say that it converges in measure if, for any small positive number ε, the set of points where the values of the functions or measures differ by more than ε has measure approaching 0 as the index of the sequence increases.

5. What are some common examples of convergence in measure?

Some common examples of convergence in measure include the convergence of Lebesgue integrable functions, the convergence of probability measures, and the convergence of measures on metric spaces. It can also be seen in various other areas of mathematics, such as Fourier analysis and functional analysis.