Convert 2nd order ODE to system of 1st order

In summary: I never used it, so I can't tell you how it works. But it appears to be a debugger. I've never seen a debugger that was worth a hoot, so I don't use them.I once worked with someone who used a debugger to find a bug in a FORTRAN program. He then "fixed" the bug in the debugger and ran the program. It worked fine. He then recompiled the program without the debugger. It didn't work. He never did figure out why.
Haydo

Homework Statement

Convert the following second-order differential equation into a system of first-order equations and solve y(1) and y'(1) with 4th-order Runge-kutta for h=0.5.
##y''(t)+sin(y(t))=0,\ y(0)=1,\ y'(0)=0##

Homework Equations

The Runge-kutta method might be applicable, but I know how to do that part no problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

The issue I'm having is converting it into a proper system of equations.

I let:
##x_1=y,\ x_2=y'##
Thus:
##x_1'=x_2,\\ x_2'=y''=-sin(y)=-sin(x_1)##
with
##x_1(0)=1,\ x_2(0)=0##

This yields:
##\begin{pmatrix}x_1\\x_2\end{pmatrix}'=
\begin{pmatrix}x_2\\-sin(x_1)\end{pmatrix}##

I need to put this in the form:
##\overrightarrow{x'}=A\overrightarrow{x}##
so that I can solve it using runge-kutta. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Haydo said:

Homework Statement

Convert the following second-order differential equation into a system of first-order equations and solve y(1) and y'(1) with 4th-order Runge-kutta for h=0.5.
##y''(t)+sin(y(t))=0,\ y(0)=1,\ y'(0)=0##

Homework Equations

The Runge-kutta method might be applicable, but I know how to do that part no problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

The issue I'm having is converting it into a proper system of equations.

I let:
##x_1=y,\ x_2=y'##
Thus:
##x_1'=x_2,\\ x_2'=y''=-sin(y)=-sin(x_1)##
with
##x_1(0)=1,\ x_2(0)=0##

This yields:
##\begin{pmatrix}x_1\\x_2\end{pmatrix}'=
\begin{pmatrix}x_2\\-sin(x_1)\end{pmatrix}##

Correct so far.

I need to put this in the form:
##\overrightarrow{x'}=A\overrightarrow{x}##
so that I can solve it using runge-kutta. Any ideas?

The ODE isn't linear with constant coefficients, so it can't necessarily be put into that form. But it isn't necessary to do so to use Runge-Kutta (or any other ODE solution algorithm). As long as you have a first-order vector ODE of the form [tex]
\dot{\mathbf{x}} = \mathbf{f}(\mathbf{x})[/tex] and an initial condition on [itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex] you can proceed.

Ok, so I wrote up the following code,
Code:
#System of Equations - Problem 5
#Hayden Smotherman
#Math 428
#30 April 2015

x1=1; #y(0)
x2=0; #y'(0)
x= [x1,x2];
step=0.5; #Step size
boundary = 1;
n=boundary/step;

for i=1:n
  k1=[x2,-sin(x1)];
  k2=[x2+step*k1(1)/2,-sin(x1+step*k1(2)/2)];
  k3=[x2+step*k2(1)/2,-sin(x1+step*k2(2)/2)];
  k4=[x2+step*k3(1),-sin(x1+step*k3(2))];
  x=x+(step/6)*(k1+2*k2+2*k3+k4);
end
x

which gives me x= 1.000000000000000 -0.719893726895089. This feels wrong to me, as x(1)=y(t). Any idea what' s up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Haydo said:
#Hayden Smotherman
#Math 428
#30 April 2015

x1=1; #y(0)
x2=0; #y'(0)

x= [x1,x2];
step=0.5; #Step size
boundary = 1;
n=boundary/step;

k1=[x2,-sin(x1)];
end
x

which gives me x= 1.000000000000000 -0.719893726895089. This feels wrong to me, as x(1)=y(t). Any idea what' s up?

Take a closer look at the assignments to k1, etc. Do you want k1 = [x2,-sin(x1)] or k1 = [x(2),-sin(x(1))]?

Haha, x(2) or it's not going to iterate. Thanks, that was a silly mistake.

Haydo said:
Code:
#Hayden Smotherman
#Math 428
#30 April 2015

x1=1; #y(0)
x2=0; #y'(0)
x= [x1,x2];
step=0.5; #Step size
boundary = 1;
n=boundary/step;

k1=[x2,-sin(x1)];
end
x

A couple of things. First notice how I edited your post. I didnt change the content, just the appearance of your code. It's now marked as code. You can click on the "+" symbol in the edit menubar, or just do it manually by using code tags.

That's not what I wanted to write about. You created a bug in your code. A number of things contributed to this:
  • You used very similar names for things: x1, x2, and x. That's what got you in trouble.
  • It looks like you used cut-and-paste and then modified each line.
  • You didn't use Matlab to anything close to its full power.
  • You didn't use the debugger.
It's been a long time since I've used Matlab, and I don't have it now. So this is untested code.

Code:
# First, let's get rid of the potential for the x1 versus x(1) bug.
y0=1; #y(0)
ydot0=0; #y'(0)
x = [y0, ydot0];

step=0.5; #Step size
boundary = 1;
n=boundary/step;

# Define the derivative function.
# Someone wants you to integrate a different function?
# Just change the derivative function.
f = @(x) [x(2), -sin(x(1))];

k1=f(x);
  k2=f(x + (step/2)*k1);
  k3=f(x + (step/2)*k2);
  k4=f(x + step*k2);
end
x
You could get even more elegant and use the Butcher tableau instead those hard-coded statements inside the loop. Now you can swap out the integration technique for a different Runge-Kutta technique as well as swapping out the function to be integrated.

Yeah, I copy and pasted some old code I wrote for a non-vector-valued Runge-Kutta. Thanks for the tips. What exactly is the debugger? I'm running Octave on Linux; is that still a thing?

1. What is the purpose of converting a 2nd order ODE to a system of 1st order equations?

Converting a 2nd order ODE to a system of 1st order equations allows for a more flexible and efficient way to solve the equations. It also simplifies the process of finding a numerical solution and allows for the use of computer software to solve the equations.

2. How do you convert a 2nd order ODE to a system of 1st order equations?

The conversion process involves introducing new variables and rewriting the original 2nd order equation as a system of two 1st order equations. This is typically done by setting one of the derivatives equal to a new variable, and then expressing the other derivative in terms of this new variable and the original variables.

3. Why is it useful to have a system of 1st order equations instead of one 2nd order equation?

Having a system of 1st order equations allows for a more general and flexible approach to solving the equations. It also makes it easier to apply numerical methods and computer software to find solutions. Additionally, it can help to identify patterns and relationships between the equations and their solutions.

4. Are there any limitations to converting a 2nd order ODE to a system of 1st order equations?

There are some cases where it may not be possible or practical to convert a 2nd order ODE to a system of 1st order equations. This could be due to the complexity of the equations or the specific problem at hand. In these cases, it may be more efficient to solve the equations using other methods.

5. Are there any real-world applications for converting 2nd order ODEs to systems of 1st order equations?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for this conversion process. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve various problems. It is also a fundamental technique in the study of dynamical systems and control theory.