Convert ENU velocity to ECEF

In summary, the poster is seeking help with converting velocities from ENU to ECEF and calculating the aircraft track using a given direction cosine matrix. They have correctly converted the velocities but are having trouble with the aircraft track calculation. Suggestions have been given to use the dot product and the magnitude of the velocity vector to calculate the track accurately.
microgorilla

Homework Statement

This is not actually a homework problem, but it should be a fairly simple problem (hopefully). My apologies if this is better suited for the engineering forum.
I have been given an aircraft heading and a set of velocities in the ENU coordinate system. I need to convert the velocities from ENU to ECEF and calculate the aircraft track. As far as I can tell I am doing the velocity conversions correctly, but I cannot get the aircraft heading and the aircraft track to agree within +/- 15 degrees.

Homework Equations

I am using the following direction cosine matrix, which I arrived at by starting with the DCM for converting from ECEF to NED, swapping the first and second rows, negating the third row and taking the transpose:

CN2E = | -sin(lon) -sin(lat)*cos(lon) cos(lat)*cos(lon) |
| cos(lon) -sin(lat)*sin(lon) cos(lat)*sin(lon) |
| 0 cos(lat) sin(lat) |

lat = 34.2547 %degrees
lon = -96.6522 %degrees
height = 3690 %meters
velocity_ENU = [76.8213; -42.7113; 1.5302] %meters
heading = 123.2568 %degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

Multiplying CN2E * vel_ENU yields:
vel_x = 73.3726
vel_y = -34.0346
vel_z = -34.4414

This gives an aircraft speed of approx 170 knots; i don't have our exact aircraft speed at the time the measurement was made, but that's in the ballpark.
Finally, taking atan2(vel_y/vel_x) and converting to degrees yields an aircraft track of -24.8847 degrees, which is not even close to the heading of 123.2568 degrees.
Can anyone see where I might have gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

It looks like you have correctly converted the velocities from ENU to ECEF using the given direction cosine matrix. However, it seems that your issue lies in calculating the aircraft track. The formula you have used, atan2(vel_y/vel_x), will only give you the direction of the velocity vector, not the heading of the aircraft. To calculate the aircraft track, you will need to take into account the heading and the direction of the velocity vector.

One way to do this is to use the dot product between the velocity vector and the heading vector. This will give you the component of the velocity in the direction of the heading. Then, you can use the magnitude of the velocity vector and the component in the heading direction to calculate the aircraft track using the formula: track = acos(component/magnitude). This will give you the angle between the aircraft heading and the direction of the velocity vector.

I hope this helps and I wish you luck in solving your problem. If you continue to have issues, I would suggest seeking help from an engineer or a fellow scientist who may have experience with this type of conversion. Good luck!

1. What is ENU velocity and how is it different from ECEF velocity?

ENU (East-North-Up) velocity is a type of velocity representation commonly used in geodesy and navigation. It is a local, Cartesian coordinate system that describes the velocity of an object relative to a fixed point on the Earth's surface. ECEF (Earth-Centered, Earth-Fixed) velocity, on the other hand, is a global, Cartesian coordinate system that describes the velocity of an object relative to the Earth's center of mass. While ENU velocity is useful for local navigation, ECEF velocity is more commonly used for global positioning and satellite orbits.

2. Why would someone need to convert ENU velocity to ECEF?

ENU velocity is typically measured by sensors on a moving object, such as an aircraft or a vehicle. However, in order to accurately track the position and trajectory of the object on a global scale, the ENU velocity must be converted to ECEF velocity. This is because ECEF velocity is more suitable for use with global navigation systems and satellite orbits.

3. What is the mathematical formula for converting ENU velocity to ECEF?

The conversion from ENU velocity to ECEF velocity involves a series of mathematical transformations, including rotation and translation. The specific formula varies depending on the desired level of accuracy and the reference ellipsoid used for the Earth's shape. A commonly used formula is the "ENU-to-ECEF transformation matrix," which can be found in many geodesy textbooks and online resources.

4. Are there any software tools or libraries available for converting ENU velocity to ECEF?

Yes, there are several software tools and libraries available for converting ENU velocity to ECEF. These include MATLAB, Python, and C++ code libraries, as well as online conversion calculators. It is important to choose a tool that is appropriate for your specific application and provides the desired level of accuracy.

5. What are the potential sources of error when converting ENU velocity to ECEF?

There are several potential sources of error when converting ENU velocity to ECEF. These include uncertainties in the measurements of the ENU velocity components, inaccuracies in the reference ellipsoid or coordinate system used, and errors introduced during the conversion process. It is important to understand the limitations and potential sources of error in the conversion in order to ensure accurate results.