Finding Velocity Components given Speed and Heading

The second solution " heading 2 is current heading and heading 1 is previous headingThe second solution is still a bit of a mystery to me. What exactly are you trying to achieve here? It seems like you are trying to measure the change in heading and then use that to calculate the components. But, to calculate the change in heading, you need to already know the components, right? So, it's not clear to me how that would ever work. In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the velocity components of a vehicle given its speed and heading. The heading is measured clockwise from north and the X and Y axes are defined differently from the standard cartesian coordinate system. The first solution suggests calculating the components using
Ash_Sdr

Homework Statement

Given the Speed of vehicle at any instant (say 30 meters/s) and Heading of a vehicle (say 270 degrees ) , how can i find the velocity components which is Vx and Vy .

Lemme tell you about the Heading ...This is the convention..

I don;t know if this pic is viewable or not... So Heading is with true north... which means that , if vehicle is facing NORTH --- heading is 0 degrees (or) 360 ... if its facing East , its 90 degrees , if its facing South , its 180 and If its facing West , its 270...

The X,Y convention is ... X is Vertical Axis and Y is Horizontal...
bAKHza

Homework Equations

Speed = sqrt(Vx^2 + Vy^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Two possible Solutions which i can think of...

Since X is longitudinal and Y is Lateral ... Vx = Speed * sin(Heading)
Vy = Speed *cos(Heading)

and Second solution is to use delta heading
Vx = Speed * sin(Heading2 - Heading1)
Vy = Speed *cos(Heading2 - Heading1)

but I am not getting good results with these... can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Ash_Sdr said:

Homework Statement

Given the Speed of vehicle at any instant (say 30 meters/s) and Heading of a vehicle (say 270 degrees ) , how can i find the velocity components which is Vx and Vy .

Lemme tell you about the Heading ...This is the convention..

I don;t know if this pic is viewable or not... So Heading is with true north... which means that , if vehicle is facing NORTH --- heading is 0 degrees (or) 360 ... if its facing East , its 90 degrees , if its facing South , its 180 and If its facing West , its 270...

The X,Y convention is ... X is Vertical Axis and Y is Horizontal...
bAKHza

Homework Equations

Speed = sqrt(Vx^2 + Vy^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Two possible Solutions which i can think of...

Since X is longitudinal and Y is Lateral ... Vx = Speed * sin(Heading)
Vy = Speed *cos(Heading)

and Second solution is to use delta heading
Vx = Speed * sin(Heading2 - Heading1)
Vy = Speed *cos(Heading2 - Heading1)

but I am not getting good results with these... can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong

By vertical, do you mean "pointing north"? By horizontal, do you mean "pointing east"? I ask, because your North-East-South-West directions seem to be at odds with your vertical/horizontal.

No, By vertical , its not pointing North ... nor Horizontal is pointing east... Thats the vehicle coordinate system and the heading angle is w.r.t global coordinates..

Ash_Sdr said:
No, By vertical , its not pointing North ... nor Horizontal is pointing east... Thats the vehicle coordinate system and the heading angle is w.r.t global coordinates..

Well, your first solution gave ##v_x = s \sin(\theta), v_y = s \cos(\theta)##, where ##s## is the speed and ##\theta## is the heading (measured clockwise from north). That means that ##v_x## is the velocity component in the easterly direction (actually, pointing west if ##v_x < 0##) and ##v_y## is the northerly component. That is what you get if you use sines and cosines the way you did!

Your second "solution" makes no sense at all unless you specify two headings, which you have not done.

Ray Vickson said:
Well, your first solution gave ##v_x = s \sin(\theta), v_y = s \cos(\theta)##, where ##s## is the speed and ##\theta## is the heading (measured clockwise from north). That means that ##v_x## is the velocity component in the easterly direction (actually, pointing west if ##v_x < 0##) and ##v_y## is the northerly component. That is what you get if you use sines and cosines the way you did!

Your second "solution" makes no sense at all unless you specify two headings, which you have not done.

vx should be northerly component right ? and vy should be Easterly ?

Ray Vickson said:

The second solution " heading 2 is current heading and heading 1 is previous heading

Ash_Sdr said:

vx should be northerly component right ? and vy should be Easterly ?

No, not the way you defined things. For speed ##s## and heading ##\theta## (measured clockwise from north) the quantity ##s \sin(\theta)## is the EASTward component of the vector; draw a picture and check this for yourself! So, when you write ##v_x = s \sin(\theta)## you are giving the eastward component, NOT the northward one. The quantity ##s \cos(\theta)## is the northward component, which you called ##v_y##. So,if I look at a map with north up and east to the right, your x-axis runs from west to east and your y-axis runs from south to north. That is exactly what a standard cartesian coordinate system looks like.

Again: draw a picture; don't take my word for it.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction. Speed does not take into account direction, while velocity does.

Can velocity components be negative?

Yes, velocity components can be negative. A negative velocity component indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the reference frame.

How do you find the x and y components of velocity?

To find the x and y components of velocity, you can use the formula:
Vx = V * cos(θ)
Vy = V * sin(θ)
Where V is the speed and θ is the heading or direction.

What is the unit of measurement for velocity components?

The unit of measurement for velocity components is meters per second (m/s). This is the standard unit for velocity, regardless of direction.

Can you have different speed and heading for the same velocity?

Yes, it is possible to have different speed and heading for the same velocity. For example, an object can have a velocity of 10 m/s at a heading of 90 degrees, and a velocity of 5 m/s at a heading of 45 degrees.