Converting ADC for DC Output: Homework Statement and Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of analog and digital signals in the context of converting an ADC for output of Vo. The speaker believes that Vo is a DC signal, but the other person clarifies that it can still change slowly. The use of a multimeter with an ADC is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a discussion about the definition of an analog signal and its representation in various devices.
Minh Thanh

Homework Statement

There is no analog signal . It just is DC . How can I convert ADC for output of Vo ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• SƠ ĐỒ MẠCH EC.PNG
    SƠ ĐỒ MẠCH EC.PNG
    33.8 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
Say Vo is at 2 VDC. Why do you think this is not an analog signal?

Minh Thanh said:
There is no analog signal . It just is DC . How can I convert ADC for output of Vo ?
It looks like that Vo can change slowly as the Wheatstone Bridge output signal changes. Can you describe what is going on in each stage of this circuit? And estimate the signal out of each stage's output? :smile:

lewando said:
Say Vo is at 2 VDC. Why do you think this is not an analog signal?
Because my multimeter shown a fixed value when it's mode is DC meter.

What were you expecting the meter to show?

Minh Thanh said:
Your multimeter uses an ADC to figure out the measured voltage, BTW. Did you know that? :smile:

Likes CWatters
berkeman said:
Your multimeter uses an ADC to figure out the measured voltage, BTW. Did you know that? :smile:
No .. I mean is that my multimeter reads a value of voltage from output of Vo and I guess that is DC voltage . :D :D The multimeter has no an ADC in itself.

If your multimeter looks like this:
upload_2017-8-28_22-33-41.png

then
Minh Thanh said:
The multimeter has no an ADC in itself.
would be a true statement.

Likes berkeman and Asymptotic
lewando said:
If your multimeter looks like this:
View attachment 209932
then
would be a true statement.
That is right . I am using it .

Minh Thanh said:
Why do you think a fixed value is not an analog value? If you think an analog signal needs to be a time-varying signal in order to be converted by an ADC, then that is not a complete understanding. The definition of an analog signal includes signals that do not appear to change over time. For example: the signal that represents the mass of something when placed on an electronic scale is an analog signal.

1. How does an ADC work?

An ADC (Analog-to-Digital Converter) is a device that converts analog signals into digital signals. It works by sampling the analog signal at regular intervals, and then converting each sample into a digital value that represents the amplitude of the signal at that point in time. This process is repeated continuously, resulting in a series of digital values that can be used to reconstruct the original analog signal.

2. What is the purpose of converting ADC for DC output?

The purpose of converting ADC for DC output is to measure the amplitude of a DC (direct current) signal and convert it into a digital value that can be used for further processing or analysis. This is useful in many applications, such as in monitoring and control systems, where DC signals are commonly used.

3. How is the conversion process from ADC to DC output calculated?

The conversion process from ADC to DC output involves several steps. First, the analog signal is sampled by the ADC at regular intervals. Then, the sampled values are converted into digital values using a mathematical formula. Finally, the digital values are scaled and converted into the desired units of measurement for the DC output.

4. What are the different types of ADC?

There are many different types of ADC, but the most common are the successive approximation ADC, the delta-sigma ADC, and the flash ADC. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of which type to use depends on the specific application and requirements.

5. How can I choose the right ADC for my project?

Choosing the right ADC for a project depends on several factors, including the required accuracy, speed, resolution, and cost. It is important to carefully consider these factors and compare different ADC options to find the one that best fits the project's needs. Additionally, consulting with an expert in the field or conducting thorough research can also help in selecting the most suitable ADC for a project.