Converting between field operators and harmonic oscillators

In summary, the Hamiltonian containing a term of the form where ∂=d/dr and A(r) is a real function can be studied with harmonic oscillator ladder operators. However, the naïve approach of using leads to a non-Hermitian term when checked in real space. The proper way to study this Hamiltonian is to use the decomposition and to take into account the difference between the general momentum operator and its real-space representation. This resolves the disagreement and allows for the Hamiltonian to be expressed in the conventional form without any non-Hermitian terms.
SupernerdSven
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to convert an expression written in terms of field operators and derivatives to be written in terms of ladder operators, but one expression seems to be Hermitian while the other isn't, so something is wrong.
Suppose we have a Hamiltonian containing a term of the form

1592842076511.png

where ∂=d/dr and A(r) is a real function. I would like to study this with harmonic oscillator ladder operators. The naïve approach is to use

1592855821439.png

where I have set ħ=1 so that

1592855894918.png

This term is Hermitian because r and p both are.*

However, if we check for Hermicity in real space, we realize that

1592842145746.png

We integrated by parts in the third step. This is *not* Hermitian; it has an extra term.

What is the cause of this disagreement, and what is the proper way to study this Hamiltonian using the ladder operators?

----------

(Note: The actual Hamiltonian term I have is
1592842177540.png

which *is* Hermitian, but it suffers from a similar problem when expressed in the conventional form with all derivatives on ψ(r). In that case, an extra non-Hermitian term appears.)

----------

*Edit:
Thank you to HomogeneousCow for pointing out the sloppiness of my notation which treated the position representation of momentum as if it were the general operator. While correcting this sloppy notation I realized that my error was in the section marked with an asterisk. Clearly
1592857241276.png

is not Hermitian. Lesson learned, sloppy notation leads to careless mistakes.

Attachments

• 1592842103603.png
    1592842103603.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 1592842125773.png
    1592842125773.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 1592857128314.png
    1592857128314.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still reading your post, but it seems like there are some severe typos in the second equation as it makes no sense as it stands.

I expressed ##H_1## in the momentum basis and it is indeed non-Hermitian. Define the decomposition
$$\psi(x) = \int \frac{dk}{2\pi} a_k ~e^{ikx}$$ it follows that $$i\int dx A(x) \psi(x)^\dagger \frac{d}{dx} \psi(x) = - \int \frac{dk}{2\pi}\frac{dp}{2\pi} k ~\tilde A(p-k) a^{\dagger}_p~a_k$$ which is not hermitian. I don't want to be condescending but from your working it doesn't seem like you fully understand how the field operator formalism works, for example your third line of equation has position space functions and derivatives on the RHS which is supposed to be in a non-spatial basis.

Last edited:
Thank you for pointing out my abuse of notation, in treating the general momentum operator and its real-space representation as the same. I had been thinking of the derivative as the momentum operator. When editing the question to fix my notation, I realized my error. I have edited the question both to fix the and to make a note about the resolution.

1. What are field operators and harmonic oscillators?

Field operators are mathematical operators used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of quantum fields, which are fundamental objects that permeate all of space and time. Harmonic oscillators, on the other hand, are physical systems that exhibit periodic motion around a stable equilibrium point.

2. Why is it important to convert between field operators and harmonic oscillators?

Converting between field operators and harmonic oscillators allows us to describe quantum field theories in terms of more familiar and intuitive concepts. It also allows us to apply techniques from classical mechanics to quantum systems, making calculations and predictions easier.

3. How do you convert between field operators and harmonic oscillators?

The conversion between field operators and harmonic oscillators involves using a mathematical transformation known as the Fourier transform. This transforms the field operators, which are functions of space and time, into harmonic oscillators, which are functions of energy and momentum.

4. What are some applications of converting between field operators and harmonic oscillators?

Converting between field operators and harmonic oscillators is used in many areas of physics, including quantum optics, condensed matter physics, and particle physics. It is also an important tool in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and in developing new technologies, such as quantum computing.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in converting between field operators and harmonic oscillators?

One of the main challenges in converting between field operators and harmonic oscillators is the mathematical complexity involved. The Fourier transform can be difficult to calculate and may require advanced mathematical techniques. Additionally, the conversion may not always be possible for all quantum field theories, as some may not have a well-defined harmonic oscillator representation.