Convolution Question Homework: Get Bounds for f*f(x)

• Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convolution
In summary, Homework Equations state that:-f*f = integral from -inf to inf of f(t)f(x-t) dt-f*f*f = integral from -inf to inf of f(t)f(x-t) dt-f*f*f = integral from -inf to inf of f(x-t)f(t)dt
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 6.57.38 PM.png

Homework Equations

f*f = integral from -inf to inf of f(t)f(x-t) dt = integral from -inf to inf of f(x-t)f(t)dt

The Attempt at a Solution

My question concerns some issues with part a.

I break the problem up into two cases.

Case 1: When rectangle is sliding into the rectangle, since f(x-t) is moving.
I expect it to be from -2 ≤ x ≤ 0

In setting up the integral, I'm unsure how to analyze it based off my notes.

What I currently have:
Integral from -1 to 0 of 1*(1+t) dt where 1 represents f(x-t) and (1+t) represents f(t) part.
Unfortunately, this results in the wrong solution, as it then equals 1/2

Clearly, "x" needs to be part of the bounds based on the answer. My problem is, I don't understand how to get the bounds. I have drawn the structure with the rectangle being stationary and then the other rectangle sliding through it. I am thinking that I need to get the bounds from this drawing.
Any insight here is what I need help with and likely will guide me to understanding this problem.

Case 2: When rectangle is sliding out of the rectangle.
I expect it to be from 0 ≤ x ≤ 2The answer is
f*f(x) = x+2 if -2≤x≤0, = 2-x if 0≤x≤2, = 0 otherwise

Physics news on Phys.org
In ##f*f = \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x-x')f(x') \, dx'##, ##f(x')## is centered at the origin and ##f(x'-x)## is obtained after horizontal-flipping ##f(x')## and then translate it by the amount ##x##. For ##x>0##, ##f(x-x')## is on the left of ##f(x')## while for ##x<0## it's on the right of ##f(x')##.

Now, when ##x<-2##, there is no intersection between the two functions and the convolution integral returns zero. When ##-2<x<0##, there is nonzero intersection which takes the form of a rectangle. Find the left and right bounds of this intersection rectangle and compute the area of this intersection.

Then move to the case when ##0<x<2## where ##f(x-x')## is on the left of ##f(x')##. Find the left and right bounds of the intersection and same as before compute the area of this intersection.

Last edited:
Likes RJLiberator
Find the left and right bounds of this intersection rectangle and compute the area of this intersection.

I'm drawing this part out and I find that from x = -1 to x = 0 we just have a square.

1 unit on the x direction and 1 unit on the y direction.
Meaning the area is 1*1 = 1.

So then that would explain the part of the integral that goes to 1, aka f(x-1) = 1.

would the integral simply be
integral from -1 to x+1 of 1*dt
therefore the answer then becomes (x+2) which solves the problem?

If so, the bounds then make some sense to me.

And then for case 2 we have
integral from (x-1) to 1 of 1*dt ==> 2-x

Or perhaps I have them confused case 1 vs case 2.

RJLiberator said:
I'm drawing this part out and I find that from x = -1 to x = 0 we just have a square.

1 unit on the x direction and 1 unit on the y direction.
Meaning the area is 1*1 = 1.

So then that would explain the part of the integral that goes to 1, aka f(x-1) = 1.

would the integral simply be
integral from -1 to x+1 of 1*dt
therefore the answer then becomes (x+2) which solves the problem?

If so, the bounds then make some sense to me.

From ##f(t)## you need ##-1 \leq t \leq 1## and from ##f(x-t)## you need ##-1 \leq x-t \leq 1##, or ##x-1 \leq t \leq x+1##. So, when ##-2 < x < 0## your integration goes from ##t = -1## to ##t = x+1##. When ##0 < x < 2## the integration goes from ##t = x-1## to ##t = 1##.

Likes RJLiberator
Excellent. Then part f*f is solved and 80% understood.

Next, we have f*f*f

So, this separates into three cases. Since we use our solution in the above part to make it f*(solution)

Case 1: from -3≤ x ≤ -1

We get integration from 0 to x+3 of t dt which results in (1/2)(x+3)^2

Case 3 we go 1≤x≤3

We get integration from 0 to 3-x of t*dt which results in (1/2) (3-x)^2

Do any of these cases (Bounds) make sense. The answers are correct, but I'm struggling to form the bounds.

I have (what I think) is the right drawing of the situation. (f*f) creates a triangle from -2 to 2 on x. Then we have a box going through it in three cases.

Edit: Nevermind, I understand case 1 and 3 now, I had a similar problem in my notes.

So the integration for case 1 goes from t = -1 to t = x+2 on (1+t)dt
similarly, integration for case 3 goes from -2+x to 1 on (1-t)dt

RJLiberator said:
Excellent. Then part f*f is solved and 80% understood.

Next, we have f*f*f

So, this separates into three cases. Since we use our solution in the above part to make it f*(solution)

Case 1: from -3≤ x ≤ -1

We get integration from 0 to x+3 of t dt which results in (1/2)(x+3)^2

Case 3 we go 1≤x≤3

We get integration from 0 to 3-x of t*dt which results in (1/2) (3-x)^2

Do any of these cases (Bounds) make sense. The answers are correct, but I'm struggling to form the bounds.

I have (what I think) is the right drawing of the situation. (f*f) creates a triangle from -2 to 2 on x. Then we have a box going through it in three cases.

This gets increasingly messy as you take more convolutions. Instead, I prefer to use transform methods. First, let's translate from ##f(x)= 1\{-1 \leq x \leq 1\}## to ##g(x) = 1\{ 0 \leq x \leq 2 \}##. In other words, ##f(x) = g(x+1)##. So, if we can find ##g_n = g*g* \cdots *g## (the ##n##-fold convolution of ##g##) we can get the ##n##-fold convolution ##f_n## of ##f## as ##f_n(x) = g_n(x+n)##.

So, the Laplace transform of ##g## is
[tex] \hat{g}(s) = \int_0^{\infty} g(x) e^{-sx} \, dx = \frac{1-e^{-2s}}{s} [/tex]
The nice thing about transforms is (among others) the fact that the transform of a convolution is the product of the transforms. Thus, the transform ##\hat{g_n}(s)## of ##g_n## is
[tex] \hat{g_n}(s) = \left(\hat{g}(s) \right)^n = \frac{(1-e^{-2s})^n}{s^n} [/tex]
We can expand this as
[tex] \hat{g_n}(s) = \sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k {n \choose k} \frac{e^{-2ks}}{s^n} [/tex]
Now we can find the inverse transform of each term separately (using various properties of Laplace transforms) and so obtain an explicit, closed-form formula for ##g_n(x)## on ##0 \leq x \leq 2n##.

However, that is just how I would do it; you might not be permitted to use those methods, in which case good luck dealing with increasingly messy integration regions.

Likes RJLiberator

1. What is a convolution?

A convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to create a third function. It is often used in signal processing and image analysis to analyze the relationship between two sets of data.

2. How do you calculate a convolution?

To calculate a convolution, you multiply one function by the flipped and shifted version of the other function, and then integrate the product over the appropriate range.

3. What are the applications of convolutions?

Convolution has a wide range of applications, including signal filtering, image processing, pattern recognition, and time series analysis. It is used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

4. What is the significance of getting bounds for f*f(x)?

Getting bounds for f*f(x) allows us to determine the range of possible values for the convolution function. This can help us analyze the behavior of the function and make predictions based on the given data.

5. Are there any limitations to using convolutions?

One limitation of convolutions is that they assume linear relationships between the two functions being convolved. This may not always be the case in real-world situations, which can affect the accuracy of the results.