Copper Bracelets for Arthritis: Do They Really Work?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Nicola Summers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Copper
In summary, PF's thoughts on copper bracelets for the treatment of arthritic pain are that any perceived benefits are most likely due to the placebo effect. Research has shown that there is no statistically significant therapeutic effect of magnetic therapy on osteoarthritis pain, physical function, stiffness, or medication use. Therefore, the reported analgesic benefits of copper bracelets are likely due to the psychological effects of a placebo.
Nicola Summers
Hi there,

I would like to know what PF's thoughts are on copper bracelets for the treatment of arthritic pain?

Biology news on Phys.org
The lady at the top of the magnetic bracelet sales chain is said to own a huge house on the water in my part of the world, so they are certainly easing her pain. I doubt if anyone else benefits much, or if she even wears them.

Likes Nicola Summers
They don't work and it's not medically advised to use them:
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/10October/Pages/Copper-bracelets-and-arthritis.aspx

The researchers conclude that “magnetic therapy, involving the use of a magnetic wrist strap over a period of four weeks, had no statistically significant therapeutic effect among patients with osteoarthritis for the primary pain outcome measure”. They say that there was also no effect on physical function, stiffness or use of medication. Together these results can be taken “as evidence against the use of magnetic therapy”.

The researchers suggest that the reported analgesic benefits associated with the devices may therefore be due to the psychological effects of a placebo.

That's a nice way to cap the thread.

Likes Nicola Summers

1. How does a copper bracelet help with arthritis?

Copper bracelets are believed to help with arthritis by releasing copper ions into the body, which may have anti-inflammatory effects. Some studies have shown that wearing a copper bracelet can reduce joint pain and stiffness in individuals with arthritis.

2. Can anyone wear a copper bracelet for arthritis?

While copper bracelets are generally safe for most people to wear, it is always best to consult with a doctor before trying any new treatments for arthritis. People with metal allergies or those who are sensitive to copper may experience skin irritation or other adverse effects from wearing a copper bracelet.

3. How long does it take for a copper bracelet to work for arthritis?

The time it takes for a copper bracelet to work for arthritis varies from person to person. Some individuals may experience relief from symptoms after just a few days, while others may take weeks or months to see any improvement. It is important to note that copper bracelets may not work for everyone and should not be relied upon as the sole treatment for arthritis.

4. How should I care for my copper bracelet?

To keep your copper bracelet in good condition, it is recommended to clean it regularly with a soft cloth and warm water. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can damage the bracelet. Additionally, it is important to remove the bracelet before showering or swimming to prevent tarnishing.

5. Are there any side effects of wearing a copper bracelet for arthritis?

Some people may experience minor side effects from wearing a copper bracelet, such as skin irritation or discoloration. It is important to monitor any changes in your skin and consult with a doctor if you experience any adverse reactions. Additionally, copper bracelets should not be worn too tightly as this can restrict blood flow and cause discomfort.