Coriolis Torque On a Spinning Object

In summary: The velocity vector of the mass element located at angle ##\phi## is [r cos[phi] x direction + r sin[phi] y direction] X w z direction.
Dextrine

Homework Statement

The Coriolis force can produce a torque on a spinning object. To illustrate this, consider a horizontal hoop of mass m and radius r spinning with angular velocity w about its veritcal axis at colatitude theta. Show that the Coriolis force due to the Earth's rotation produces a torque of magnitude mwWr^2sin[theta] directed to the west, where W is the Earth's angular velocity.

Homework Equations

Coriolis force = 2mr' X W
Torque = F X d

The Attempt at a Solution

r'=rXw

Fcor= 2m(rXw) X W
= 2mrwW

Torque = Fcor X r
= 2mr^2wWsin[theta]

I'm supposed to get half of this value somehow, and the direction is not at all clear and from my diagram is constantly changing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dextrine said:

Homework Equations

Coriolis force = 2mr' X W[/B]
This equation is for a particle of mass m moving with linear velocity ##\dot{\mathbf{r}}##. Each mass element of the hoop should be treated as a particle with its own velocity vector. (Different mass elements have different position and velocity vectors.)

TSny said:
This equation is for a particle of mass m moving with linear velocity ##\dot{\mathbf{r}}##. Each mass element of the hoop should be treated as a particle with its own velocity vector. (Different mass elements have different position and velocity vectors.)
I thought that rewriting r' as w X r with both w and r being vectors, would take care of this? If not, how would I go about treating each point independently?

You'll need to introduce a coordinate system and express the position and velocity vectors of a mass element with respect to the coordinate system. For example, you could introduce Cartesian axes with origin at the center of the hoop and with the z axis along the axis of rotation of the hoop, the x-axis pointing east, and the y-axis pointing north.

A mass element of the hoop will be at some angle ##\phi## to the x-axis. How would you express the position and velocity vectors of this mass element?

Attachments

• hoop on earth.png
    hoop on earth.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,043
Last edited:
TSny said:
You'll need to introduce a coordinate system and express the position and velocity vectors of a mass element with respect to the coordinate system. For example, you could introduce Cartesian axes with origin at the center of the hoop and with the z axis along the axis of rotation of the hoop, the x-axis pointing east, and the y-axis pointing north.

A mass element of the hoop will be at some angle ##\phi## to the x-axis. How would you express the position and velocity vectors of this mass element?

[r cos[phi] x direction + r sin[phi] y direction] X w z direction

Dextrine said:
[r cos[phi] x direction + r sin[phi] y direction] X w z direction
I'm guessing that this is an expression for the velocity vector of the mass element located at angle ##\phi##. Does the expression have the correct overall sign? Can you simplify by carrying out the cross product?

Note that math symbols are available by clicking on the ##\Sigma## tab.

Thank you for that, I couldn't remember how i had made symbols before. Anyway, I understand it now, thanks a lot!

1. What is Coriolis torque on a spinning object?

Coriolis torque is a force that acts on a spinning object due to its rotation and the motion of its surroundings. It causes the object to deviate from its original path and results in a change in its angular momentum.

2. How does Coriolis torque affect the motion of a spinning object?

Coriolis torque causes a spinning object to experience a force perpendicular to its rotation axis, which results in a change in its direction of motion. This force is responsible for the formation of cyclones and other circular patterns in large-scale systems, such as hurricanes and planetary atmospheres.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of Coriolis torque?

The magnitude of Coriolis torque depends on the speed of rotation, the mass of the object, and the latitude at which the object is located. The faster the object rotates and the larger its mass, the greater the Coriolis torque. The Coriolis torque is also maximum at the poles and decreases towards the equator.

4. How is Coriolis torque related to the Coriolis effect?

The Coriolis effect is a phenomenon that describes the deflection of an object's path due to the rotation of the Earth. Coriolis torque is the force that causes this deflection, and it is a result of the Coriolis effect acting on a spinning object.

5. Can Coriolis torque be used for practical applications?

Yes, Coriolis torque can be harnessed for various practical applications, such as in centrifugal pumps and gyroscopes. It is also important to consider in engineering and design, particularly in large-scale systems like wind turbines and aircraft navigation systems.