Work-Energy for Bead on Rotating Stick

In summary, the homework statement states that for a bead of mass m constrained to lie on a frictionless rotating stick, the work done by the constraint is equal to the Kinetic energy. The attempt at a solution adopts polar coordinates and finds that the radial acceleration is just the Coriolis force and the tangential acceleration is just the tangential force of the stick on the bead. The line integral of this from the initial position to the final position gives the work done as mr^2 *ω^2 -mr_0^2 *ω^2. The Kinetic energy is K= m/2 (r' ^2 +r^2 *ω^2), justified by the use of polar coordinates.
GL_Black_Hole

Homework Statement

Verify the Work-Energy Theorem W=ΔK for a bead of masd m constrained to lie on a frictionless stick rotating with angular velocity ω in a plane.

Homework Equations

W =∫ F⋅dr, K =m/2 v^2 [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Adopting polar coordinates the velocity is v = r' +r*Θ'. Finding the radial and tangential accelerations we may argue that since the stick is frictionless on the tangential force of the stick on the bead may do work. As the angular velocity was assumed constant this works out to just be the Coriolis force, 2mωr'. The line integral of this from the initial position, r_0, of the bead to a final r gives the work done as mr^2 *ω^2 -mr_0^2 *ω^2.
But the Kinetic energy is K= m/2 (r' ^2 +r^2 *ω^2), justified by the use of polar coordinates.
The 'non-conservation' of energy makes sense since work must be done to keep the rod spinning at a constant rate but if I take ΔK I don't recover W. Instead I get m/2 r'^2 +m/2 r^2 * ω^2 - m/2 r_0 ^2 *ω^2.
Where do I have an error?

Physics news on Phys.org
GL_Black_Hole said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Adopting polar coordinates the velocity is v = r' +r*Θ'.
OK. I assume you mean this to be a vector equation in which the first term on the right is in the radial direction and the second term is in the tangential direction (i.e., direction of increasing θ).
Finding the radial and tangential accelerations we may argue that since the stick is frictionless on the tangential force of the stick on the bead may do work.
Yes, the stick exerts a force on the bead that is perpendicular to the stick (i.e., in the tangential direction).
As the angular velocity was assumed constant this works out to just be the Coriolis force, 2mωr'.
Most people would not call this the Coriolis force. The Coriolis force is a fictitious force that occurs in the frame rotating with the stick. In the lab frame, there is only the real force that the stick exerts on the bead. But, you are right that the magnitude of this force is 2mωr'.
The line integral of this from the initial position, r_0, of the bead to a final r gives the work done as mr^2 *ω^2 -mr_0^2 *ω^2.
Yes, that looks right.
But the Kinetic energy is K= m/2 (r' ^2 +r^2 *ω^2), justified by the use of polar coordinates.
This also looks correct.
... but if I take ΔK I don't recover W. Instead I get m/2 r'^2 +m/2 r^2 * ω^2 - m/2 r_0 ^2 *ω^2.
Where do I have an error?
(Looks like you're assuming the initial radial velocity is zero. But, you don't need to make this assumption.)
You need to show that there is no contradiction between your two results for ΔK. They only appear to be different.

I found my error when I went back and explicitly computed the line integral for the work done by the constraining force. The integrand is proportional to 2*sinh(ωt)*cosh(ωt), which equals sinh(2*ωt), which integrates to cosh(2*ωt)/2ω. So I recover the factor of 1/2 I was missing. For the kinetic energy an explicit expression is (m*ω^2 *r_0^2)/2 *(cosh(2*ωt) so the change in the kinetic energy is indeed equal to the work done by the constraint.

OK, good. You don't actually need to solve for r(t) explicitly in terms of exponential (or hyperbolic) functions to get the result. But, it's certainly OK if you want to.

1. What is work-energy for a bead on a rotating stick?

Work-energy for a bead on a rotating stick is a concept in physics that explains the relationship between the work done on an object and its resulting kinetic energy. It specifically refers to the work done by the force of gravity on a bead attached to a rotating stick.

2. How is work-energy calculated for a bead on a rotating stick?

The work done on a bead on a rotating stick is calculated by multiplying the force of gravity (mg) by the displacement of the bead in the direction of the force. This work is then equal to the change in kinetic energy of the bead.

3. What factors affect work-energy for a bead on a rotating stick?

The work-energy for a bead on a rotating stick is affected by the mass of the bead, the length of the stick, the speed of rotation, and the angle at which the stick is held. These factors determine the amount of work done on the bead and therefore its resulting kinetic energy.

4. How does the angle of the rotating stick affect work-energy?

The angle of the rotating stick affects work-energy by changing the direction of the force of gravity, which in turn changes the displacement of the bead in the direction of the force. This results in a different amount of work being done on the bead and therefore a different amount of kinetic energy.

5. What is the significance of work-energy for a bead on a rotating stick?

The concept of work-energy for a bead on a rotating stick is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between work and energy, and how they are connected through the force acting on an object. It also allows us to calculate the kinetic energy of the bead at any given point during its rotation. This concept is important in many areas of physics and engineering, including rotational motion and energy conservation.