Correlation function, 1d polymer

In summary, the problem involves a 1D polymer with fixed segment length a, where the energy is 0 if the angle between segment j and j+1 is 0 and +2J if the angle is pi. The correlation function <s_i s_{i+n}> is computed, where s_j = \pm 1 denotes the direction of segment j. The persistence length Lp is defined through <s_i s_{i+n}> = e^{-|n|a/Lp}. An expression for the end-to-end distance S(N) = <(x_N - x_0)^2>^{1/2} is also sought as a function of temperature and the number of links N. A Hamiltonian can be written
WarnK

Homework Statement

1D polymer, fixed segment length a
If the angle between segment j and j+1 is 0, the energy is 0
If the angle is pi the energy is +2J.

Compute the correlation function [tex]<s_i s_{i+n}>[/tex], where [tex]s_j = \pm 1[/tex] denotes the direction of segment j

Find the persistence length Lp, defined through
[tex]<s_i s_{i+n}> = e^{-|n|a/Lp} [/tex]

Find an expression for the end-to-end distance [tex]S(N) = <(x_N - x_0)^2>^{1/2}[/tex] as a function of temperature and the number of links N

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]<s_i s_{i+n}> = \frac{ Tr s_i s_{i+n} e^{-\beta H} }{ Tr e^{-\beta H} }[/tex]

But I don't know any hamiltonian? Or even what sort of trace to do.
The problem sort of reminds me of the 'XY'-modell for spins on a 1d lattice, but I don't really understand how to make any use of that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
WarnK said:

Homework Statement

1D polymer, fixed segment length a
If the angle between segment j and j+1 is 0, the energy is 0
If the angle is pi the energy is +2J.

Compute the correlation function [tex]<s_i s_{i+n}>[/tex], where [tex]s_j = \pm 1[/tex] denotes the direction of segment j

Find the persistence length Lp, defined through
[tex]<s_i s_{i+n}> = e^{-|n|a/Lp} [/tex]

Find an expression for the end-to-end distance [tex]S(N) = <(x_N - x_0)^2>^{1/2}[/tex] as a function of temperature and the number of links N

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]<s_i s_{i+n}> = \frac{ Tr s_i s_{i+n} e^{-\beta H} }{ Tr e^{-\beta H} }[/tex]

But I don't know any hamiltonian? Or even what sort of trace to do.
The problem sort of reminds me of the 'XY'-modell for spins on a 1d lattice, but I don't really understand how to make any use of that.

You can write down a Hamiltonian.
It will be the sum of the energy of all the adjacent pairs, taking into account the rule they give. You want an expression that gives zero when [itex]s_j = s_{j+1}[/itex] and which gives 2J when [itex]s_j = -s_{j+1}[/itex]. This is simply [itex]J(1-s_j s_{j+1})[/itex].

So, starting with a Hamiltonian like
[tex]H = J \sum_{j=1}^{N-1} (1-s_j s_{j+1}) [/tex]
and proceeding to calculate the partition function much the same way as for the 1d ising chain,
[tex]Z = Tr e^{-\beta H} = \dots = 2 e^{-\beta J (N-1)} [2 cosh(\beta J)]^{N-1}[/tex]
then noteing I can write
[tex] <s_j s_{j+n}> = \frac{1}{Z \beta^n} \frac{d^n Z}{d J^n} [/tex]
I end up with
[tex] <s_j s_{j+n}> = tanh(\beta J)^n [/tex]
is this really right? feels like I missed something

thanks for the help!

Last edited:
WarnK said:
So, starting with a Hamiltonian like
[tex]H = J \sum_{j=1}^{N-1} (1-s_j s_{j+1}) [/tex]
and proceeding to calculate the partition function much the same way as for the 1d ising chain,
[tex]Z = Tr e^{-\beta H} = \dots = 2 e^{-\beta J (N-1)} [2 cosh(\beta J)]^{N-1}[/tex]
then noteing I can write
[tex] <s_j s_{j+n}> = \frac{1}{Z \beta^n} \frac{d^n Z}{d J^n} [/tex]
I end up with
[tex] <s_j s_{j+n}> = tanh(\beta J)^n [/tex]
is this really right? feels like I missed something

thanks for the help!

the last equation should be (tanh(\beta J))^n

physics0 said:
the last equation should be (tanh(\beta J))^n

how can we calculate $$S^2(N) = <(x_N-x_0)^2>$$ in above case?

How one can calculate

S(N)2 = <(xN-x0)2>

thanx

Related to Correlation function, 1d polymer

1. What is a correlation function in relation to 1d polymers?

A correlation function is a mathematical tool used to analyze the spatial arrangement of particles in a polymer chain. In 1-dimensional polymers, the correlation function measures the probability of finding a particle at a certain distance from another particle along the chain.

2. How is the correlation function calculated for 1d polymers?

The correlation function for 1d polymers is calculated by taking the average of the product of the positions of two particles along the chain at a given distance. This calculation is repeated for all possible distances and the results are plotted on a graph to show the spatial arrangement of the particles.

3. What information can be obtained from the correlation function of a 1d polymer?

The correlation function can provide information about the structural and dynamic properties of a 1d polymer. It can reveal the degree of polymerization, the persistence length, and the entanglement of the polymer chain.

4. How does temperature affect the correlation function of a 1d polymer?

At higher temperatures, the correlation function of a 1d polymer will show a greater degree of randomness and less correlation between the positions of the particles. This is due to the increased thermal energy and molecular motion within the polymer chain.

5. What is the significance of studying the correlation function of 1d polymers?

Understanding the correlation function of 1d polymers is crucial for predicting the behavior and properties of polymer materials. It can also provide insights into the behavior of other complex systems, such as biological molecules and colloidal suspensions.