Cosmic microwave background observations

In summary, the conversation discusses the uniform distribution of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) from Earth and from a galaxy 12 billion light years away. It is hypothesized that the CMB would also appear uniform and similarly redshifted at this distance. This supports the idea of a homogeneous and isotropic universe, with no preferred location or direction. The uniformity of the CMB is seen as evidence for the Big Bang theory and its implications.
nmsurobert
TL;DR Summary
CMB from other galaxies
If my understanding is correct... From Earth the cmb is fairly uniform around us.

From a galaxy that is 12 billion light years away, would they also see a uniform distribution of the cmb? to add to that question, would the radiation be less redshifted.

From my understanding on why we aren't the center of the universe, I would think that they would also see an even distribution but I don't know if the light would be less red shifted. While writing this though, it also makes sense that it wouldn't be less redshifted.

any input would be appreciated. thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It would also be uniform. Your 12 billion light years I am guessing you are taking as a figure that is slightly under the 13.8 billion year history of the universe. This does not mean the universe is only 13.8 billion light years across it is far bigger. The picture you would get I imagine would be very similar to the one we have if not identicle. Likewise the CMB is coming from everywhere so the red shift should be the same also as I understand it.

Likes nmsurobert
On large scales, the universe is homogeneous and CMB that we observe indicates that it is also isotropic. That means there is no preferred place or direction in the universe. There is no reason to think that CMB looks differently at any other place in the universe (except the small irregularities).

Likes nmsurobert
The uniformity of the radiation we can detect is a fantastic 'proof' / strong suggestion that everything started of under the same conditions at the same time and in the same very small space. That must have been a very satisfying message for the 'Big Bang' theorists at the time.
It's strange how something as momentous as that is relatively easy to comprehend.

Likes nmsurobert and Klystron

1. What is the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB)?

The Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) is a faint glow of light that permeates the entire universe. It is made up of microwave radiation that is leftover from the Big Bang, which is the event that is believed to have started the expansion of the universe. The CMB is the oldest light in the universe and provides valuable information about the early stages of our universe.

2. How was the CMB discovered?

The CMB was first predicted by scientists George Gamow, Ralph Alpher, and Robert Herman in the 1940s. It was later accidentally discovered in 1964 by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson, who were studying radio waves in space and found a persistent background noise that they could not explain. This turned out to be the CMB, and their discovery provided strong evidence for the Big Bang theory.

3. How is the CMB observed?

The CMB is observed using specialized telescopes and detectors that are designed to detect microwave radiation. These instruments are usually placed in space or in high-altitude locations to avoid interference from Earth's atmosphere. The most well-known instrument for CMB observations is the Planck satellite, which was launched by the European Space Agency in 2009.

4. What information can we learn from CMB observations?

CMB observations provide valuable insights into the early stages of the universe, including its age, composition, and structure. By studying the patterns and fluctuations in the CMB, scientists can also learn about the distribution of matter and energy in the universe, as well as the expansion rate of the universe. This information helps us understand the fundamental laws of physics and the evolution of our universe.

5. How do CMB observations support the Big Bang theory?

The CMB is one of the strongest pieces of evidence for the Big Bang theory. According to this theory, the universe was once extremely hot and dense, and as it expanded, it cooled down and the radiation left over from this event is what we observe as the CMB. The patterns and fluctuations in the CMB also match the predictions made by the Big Bang theory, providing further support for this model of the universe's origins.