The Hubble deep field photos and the edge of the universe

In summary, The Hubble telescope has captured images of galaxies from 14 billion light years away, showing the embryonic and primitive stages of their formation. Due to cosmic inflation, the visible universe is believed to only cover a small portion of the actual universe. However, the visible universe is likely covering a small percentage of the whole universe, and the furthest galaxies we see are not fully mature. This is because the light emitted from these galaxies is coming from different distances, and the universe is constantly expanding. Furthermore, the prevailing opinion is that the universe is spatially infinite.
Sophrosyne
TL;DR Summary
Does the very embryonic appearance of the farthest galaxies in the visible universe suggest the "real" edge can't be too far beyond?
The Hubble telescope was able to capture images of the edges of our visible universe in its deep space photos. These were among its most breathtaking pictures. They show galaxies from about 14 billion light years away, as well as in the past, from the very beginning of time and space in our universe. What they show are very embryonic, primitive galaxies just in the process of formation- the very first galaxies after the big bang. But due to cosmic inflation, we believe that the actual universe actually extends even beyond this visible portion. We just can't see it because right after the big bang, space expanded faster than light, and so these parts of the universe grew beyond our perception.

But what we are seeing couldn't have been too much after the big bang, speaking in terms of relativistic invariance of our own time/space frame of reference.

Also, our ability to see the fair homogeneity of the cosmic background radiation, which also seems to be an event which developed fairly early on after the big bang, suggests that the actual edge in space-time can't be too far beyond these things that we do see. Wherever that edge is, these things that we do see should be covering something like ~99% of the whole thing.

Right?

Is there something wrong with this line of reasoning?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Sophrosyne said:
Summary: Does the very embryonic appearance of the farthest galaxies in the visible universe suggest the "real" edge can't be too far beyond?
There IS NO "edge" to the universe, so the rest of your post is moot.

I recommend the link in my signature

phinds said:
There IS NO "edge" to the universe, so the rest of your post is moot.

I recommend the link in my signature

I understand. But let me ask the question another way: is what we are seeing in our visible universe likely covering most of it? If the universe is 14 billion years old, and many of these galaxies are close to that age, isn't that most of the universe, both space and time-wise, within our visible universe?

IOW, the balloon may have no "edge". But can't we tell anyway whether we are seeing MOST of it?

Sophrosyne said:
I understand. But let me ask the question another way: is what we are seeing in our visible universe likely covering most of it? If the universe is 14 billion years old, and many of these galaxies are close to that age, isn't that most of the universe, both space and time-wise, within our visible universe?
HIGHLY unlikely. Estimates of the size of the universe make our Observable Universe a percentage of the whole ranging from utterly trivial down to nothing more than a rounding error in the 500th decimal place.

phinds said:
HIGHLY unlikely. Estimates of the size of the universe make our Observable Universe a percentage of the whole ranging from utterly trivial down to nothing more than a rounding error in the 500th decimal place.

Would you reconsider if these galaxies we were seeing were fully mature looking, rather than the very primitive shapes we see now?

Sophrosyne said:
Would you reconsider if these galaxies we were seeing were fully mature looking, rather than the very primitive shapes we see now?
That would be impossible. Those galaxies were formed very early in the life of the universe so could not possibly be mature when they emitted the light that we see.

I really suggest that you read some basic cosmology, as you are misunderstanding some VERY basic concepts.

Likes davenn
phinds said:
That would be impossible. Those galaxies were formed very early in the life of the universe so could not possibly be mature when they emitted the light that we see.

I really suggest that you read some basic cosmology, as you are misunderstanding some VERY basic concepts.

OK. It just seems to me that if the visible universe was only a very small part of the whole, even the furthest galaxies we saw would be fairly mature ones, as everything else would have been pushed out by cosmic inflation beyond our visible range.

But I will take your advice and try to figure this out a little bit more on my own.

Sophrosyne said:
It just seems to me that if the visible universe was only a very small part of the whole, even the furthest galaxies we saw would be fairly mature ones, as everything else would have been pushed out by cosmic inflation beyond our visible range.
I'm not sure how exactly you're imagining it, since it doesn't follow. You'd observe the youngest galaxies as being the furthest away even if the universe were not expanding (whether spatially infinite or not). That is just a consequence of it taking time for light to travel. Can you see how this works in the static case?

In expanding universe you don't lose the youngest light from sight, leaving just the more recent one - you just see the youngest light coming from different distances than it would in the static case. That is, the light carrying the images of the young galaxies that was emitted closer, and which without expansion would have long passed you by.

Note: it's probably best to focus on the run-of-the-mill expansion and forget about inflation for now, since it's a period before light could travel freely (or existed) and has little bearing on the confusion at hand.

Likes Klystron and davenn
phinds said:
Or to put it another way, I believe the prevailing opinion is that the universe is spatially infinite.

Sophrosyne said:
They can't simultaneously be old and far away, so I'm not clear what your logic is here.

Sophrosyne said:
It just seems to me that if the visible universe was only a very small part of the whole, even the furthest galaxies we saw would be fairly mature ones, as everything else would have been pushed out by cosmic inflation beyond our visible range.
But how can a galaxy be mature yet have formed just after the big bang?

Likes davenn
russ_watters said:
Or to put it another way, I believe the prevailing opinion is that the universe is spatially infinite.
Right. I thought of that after I posted and and had left the computer and was thinking of editing my post just now to let him know that, so I'm glad you pointed it out.

Likes russ_watters
Sophrosyne said:
OK. It just seems to me that if the visible universe was only a very small part of the whole, even the furthest galaxies we saw would be fairly mature ones, as everything else would have been pushed out by cosmic inflation beyond our visible range.
As has already been pointed out while I was gone, that is totally faulty logic.

But I will take your advice and try to figure this out a little bit more on my own.
Good idea.

russ_watters said:
They can't simultaneously be old and far away, so I'm not clear what your logic is here.

OK, I don’t want to look like I’m being stubborn here. But this sentence really puzzles me. I impression was that in astronomy, The further you look out, the further “back in time” you look.
Bandersnatch said:
I'm not sure how exactly you're imagining it, since it doesn't follow. You'd observe the youngest galaxies as being the furthest away even if the universe were not expanding (whether spatially infinite or not). That is just a consequence of it taking time for light to travel. Can you see how this works in the static case?

In expanding universe you don't lose the youngest light from sight, leaving just the more recent one - you just see the youngest light coming from different distances than it would in the static case. That is, the light carrying the images of the young galaxies that was emitted closer, and which without expansion would have long passed you by.

Note: it's probably best to focus on the run-of-the-mill expansion and forget about inflation for now, since it's a period before light could travel freely (or existed) and has little bearing on the confusion at hand.

OK, what clears this up for me a little bit is "it's probably best to focus on the run-of-the-mill expansion and forget about inflation for now, since it's a period before light could travel freely (or existed) and has little bearing on the confusion at hand".

I was picturing inflation having occurred first AFTER light could travel freely.

Thanks.

Sophrosyne said:
OK, I don’t want to look like I’m being stubborn here. But this sentence really puzzles me. I impression was that in astronomy, The further you look out, the further “back in time” you look.
EXACTLY. So when you look at something far away you are seeing it as it was a LONG time ago, when it was young. Thus what you see can't be both far away and old. Reread post #6.

Likes davenn
phinds said:
EXACTLY. So when you look at something far away you are seeing it as it was a LONG time ago, when it was young. Thus what you see can't be both far away and old. Reread post #6.

OK. I see. I was using the word "old" as in "long time ago", not as age.

I think where my confusion was happening was in thinking that light started traveling BEFORE cosmic inflation. Now, however, the presence of the cosmic background radiation makes more sense.

Sophrosyne said:
OK. I see. I was using the word "old" as in "long time ago", not as age.

I think where my confusion was happening was in thinking that light started traveling BEFORE cosmic inflation. Now, however, the presence of the cosmic background radiation makes more sense.
Nothing we can see goes back anywhere NEAR as far as the end of inflation. Again, all of this is cosmology 101, or even a pre-requisite for it, so I suggest some basic reading.

This is fascinating stuff but trying to learn it by random questions on an internet forum is NOT the way to go about it.

phinds said:
This is fascinating stuff but trying to learn it by random questions on an internet forum is NOT the way to go about it.
Why not?

Likes russ_watters
Sophrosyne said:
Right, so if we are looking at an old and distant galaxy, to us it will look young and distant. The universe is almost 15 billion years old, so if we look at a galaxy 13 billion light years away, that is 14 billion years old it will look 14-13= 1 billion years old.

[edit] And similarly if you are hoping to see a galaxy that is "now" 1 billion years old, but 14 billion light years away it will look 1-14= -13 billion years old...in other words, not yet formed when the light that reaches us today was sent.

Last edited:
Likes Sophrosyne

1. What is the Hubble deep field photo?

The Hubble deep field photo is a composite image created by the Hubble Space Telescope, which captures a tiny portion of the night sky in extreme detail. It is a mosaic of multiple images taken over a period of 10 days, revealing thousands of galaxies that are billions of light years away.

2. How does the Hubble deep field photo help us understand the edge of the universe?

The Hubble deep field photo allows us to see galaxies that are so far away, their light has taken billions of years to reach us. This gives us a glimpse into the early universe and helps us understand how galaxies formed and evolved over time. It also shows us the vastness of the universe and its boundaries.

3. Can we see the edge of the universe in the Hubble deep field photo?

No, the Hubble deep field photo does not show us the literal edge of the universe. It only shows us a small portion of the universe, but it does give us a better understanding of the size and structure of the universe.

4. How does the Hubble deep field photo support the Big Bang theory?

The Hubble deep field photo provides evidence for the Big Bang theory by showing us the early stages of the universe. The galaxies in the photo are seen as they were billions of years ago, and their distribution and movement support the idea of an expanding universe from a single point of origin.

5. What other important discoveries have been made using the Hubble deep field photo?

The Hubble deep field photo has led to many important discoveries, including the confirmation of the existence of supermassive black holes in the centers of galaxies, the discovery of new types of galaxies, and the identification of the most distant objects ever seen. It has also provided valuable data for studying the evolution of galaxies and the history of the universe.