Cosmological Constant and Vacuum Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of vacuum energy being higher than the cosmological constant in order to satisfy observations, with a reference to a well-written explanation by Baez on the topic. The participants also express their appreciation for the clear explanation provided by Baez.
Quarlep
I was reading a book about cosmolgy.And there wrotes vacuum energy must be higher than cosmological constant 10100 times to satisfy (It may just the opposite ) observations. Is that true ?

Space news on Phys.org
Bandersnatch said:
Have a read through this page for a very well presented answer:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/vacuum.html
Really nice answer! Somehow I had missed seeing that short, clear essay by Baez. One of the most cogent treatments of the CC topic I can think of.

marcus said:
Baez
He's a great communicator, isn't he?

thanks I understand the basic idea

Quarlep said:
thanks I understand the basic idea
That's the usual experimental result one gets from reading Baez:)
@Bandersnatch, thanks for the link, nice one.

1) What is the cosmological constant and vacuum energy?

The cosmological constant and vacuum energy are concepts in physics that attempt to explain the expansion of the universe. The cosmological constant, also known as lambda, is a term in Einstein's theory of general relativity that represents the energy density of empty space. Vacuum energy is the energy of empty space, which is thought to contribute to the expansion of the universe.

2) How does the cosmological constant and vacuum energy affect the expansion of the universe?

The cosmological constant and vacuum energy are thought to contribute to the expansion of the universe by creating a repulsive force known as dark energy. This force counteracts the gravitational pull of matter, causing the universe to expand at an accelerating rate.

3) How was the existence of the cosmological constant and vacuum energy discovered?

The existence of the cosmological constant and vacuum energy was first introduced by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity. However, it was not until the late 1990s that scientists observed the accelerating expansion of the universe and attributed it to the presence of dark energy, which is thought to be the manifestation of the cosmological constant and vacuum energy.

4) Is there any evidence for the existence of the cosmological constant and vacuum energy?

Yes, there is strong evidence for the existence of the cosmological constant and vacuum energy. The accelerating expansion of the universe, as observed by astronomers, is one of the main pieces of evidence. Additionally, studies of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the large-scale structure of the universe also support the existence of these concepts.

5) Can the cosmological constant and vacuum energy be measured?

Yes, the cosmological constant and vacuum energy can be measured through various methods. One way is through observations of the expansion rate of the universe and comparing it to the predicted rate based on the amount of matter in the universe. Another way is through studying the effects of dark energy on the large-scale structure of the universe. However, accurately measuring these quantities is still a topic of ongoing research and study in the field of cosmology.