Cosmological electroweak phase transition

In summary, the conversation discusses the electro-weak phase transition and its implications for the standard model of particle physics, as well as the possibility of a first-order phase transition and its effects on the Higgs field and the physical properties of the universe. It also mentions current research on the topic and the idea of baryon asymmetry and its connection to the CKM matrix and the need for something beyond the standard model to explain it. The question of whether the observable universe could be in thermodynamic equilibrium at the time of the decoupling of the W and EM interactions is also raised. The concept of spontaneous symmetry breaking is discussed and its relationship to elementary particle masses and the Higgs boson. The question of whether it was a true
Carlos L. Janer
There is a question that has been bugging and puzzling me for a long time and I wondered if somebody could help me to figure out what the answer is or where I am not thinking straight.

Let us assume that the standard model of particle physics is more "right" than "wrong" and there is no such a thing as a supersymmetry between fundamental fermions and bosons. If this were the case, then we would have that when the cosmological EW phase transition took place, strong interactions were already differentiated from EW interactions.

The idea of an electro-weak phase transition seems to be borrowed from condensed matter physics, more precisely, from the physics of critical phenomena. I have always assumed that the analogy is more fundamental than formal (maybe I am wrong). If this is true, the whole universe was described by a single "partition function". I am not quite sure how quarks, neutrinos and electrons could have a common temperature (and exchange energy-momentum) since they were all massless particles, but that is not very important for the moment.

It is hard for me to believe that this phase transition could be "first order" instead of "second order" since the former are characterized by a finite range correlation length wheareas the latter by an infinite correlation length. However it seems that this phase transition has to be "first order" because, otherwise, baryon asymmetry could not be convicingly explained.

But if the EW phase transition were "first order", should not Higgs field have different expectation values in different regions of the universe? If this were the case, should not these different parts of the univese have different physical properties?

I would appreciate it very much if anyone could tell me where I am wrong.

Space news on Phys.org
Carlos L. Janer said:
But if the EW phase transition were "first order", should not Higgs field have different expectation values in different regions of the universe? If this were the case, should not these different parts of the univese have different physical properties?
Funny coincidence: just today I've read the following article:

http://phys.org/news/2017-01-multiple-standard-hierarchy-problem.html
based on from July 22, 2016 (https://arxiv.org/abs/1607.06821)

Nnaturalness

Nima Arkani-Hamed, Timothy Cohen, Raffaele Tito D'Agnolo, Anson Hook, Hyung Do Kim, David Pinner
We present a new mechanism to stabilize the electroweak hierarchy. We introduce ##N## copies of the Standard Model with varying values of the Higgs mass parameter. This generically yields a sector whose weak scale is parametrically removed from the cutoff by a factor of ##1/\sqrt{N}.## Ensuring that reheating deposits a majority of the total energy density into this lightest sector requires a modification of the standard cosmological history, providing a powerful probe of the mechanism. Current and near-future experiments will explore much of the natural parameter space. Furthermore, supersymmetric completions which preserve grand unification predict superpartners with mass below ##m_W \times M_{pl}/M_{GUT}\,∼\,10 \,TeV.##

Likes Carlos L. Janer
Carlos L. Janer said:
I am not quite sure how quarks, neutrinos and electrons could have a common temperature (and exchange energy-momentum) since they were all massless particles

Why is masslessness a problem? Remember that these are not little billard balls; they're quantum field excitations. They interact via the electroweak interaction, i.e., by means of other quantum field excitations. None of that requires any of the fields to have nonzero mass.

Carlos L. Janer said:
I would appreciate it very much if anyone could tell me where I am wrong.

As I understand it, the question you are asking is a genuine open question that is still being researched (the papers fresh42 linked to are part of that research).

Likes Carlos L. Janer
PeterDonis said:
As I understand it, the question you are asking is a genuine open question that is still being researched (the papers fresh42 linked to are part of that research).

Ok, I thought there was something I was not getting right. However, the whole observable universe seems to have everywhere the same local physical properties we measure around us. Those parts where the Higgs field vacuum expectation values could be different (in actual fact, when I posted my question, I was tacitly assuming that the VEV were the same and, perhaps, the phase was different) should lie beyond our horizon. Am I wrong?

Carlos L. Janer said:
the whole observable universe seems to have everywhere the same local physical properties we measure around us. Those parts where the Higgs field vacuum expectation values could be different (in actual fact, when I posted my question, I was tacitly assuming that the VEV were the same and, perhaps, the phase was different) should lie beyond our horizon.

Yes, I believe this is correct. The open issue, as I understand it, is how that can be true if the phase transition was first order.

PeterDonis said:
Yes, I believe this is correct.

Thanks for your reply.

Carlos L. Janer said:
because, otherwise, baryon asymmetry could not be convicingly explained.
Let me just add that it is generally believed that baryon asymmetry cannot be explained by the Standard Model through electroweak baryogenesis regardless of the type of phase transition. The CP-violating phase in the CKM matrix is way too small for that to be possible. In fact, this is a strong argument for something beyond the Standard Model to exist.

Likes Carlos L. Janer
Orodruin said:
Let me just add that it is generally believed that baryon asymmetry cannot be explained by the Standard Model through electroweak baryogenesis regardless of the type of phase transition. The CP-violating phase in the CKM matrix is way too small for that to be possible. In fact, this is a strong argument for something beyond the Standard Model to exist.

OK but what is bothering me is this: Could our observable universe be in thermodynamic equilibrium at whatever energy scale the W and EM interactions decoupled? Or was it way too big? What I do not really know if SSB is just an artifact to explain the elementary particle masses (it does not seem very likely to me since Higgs boson has been detected) or it actually was a true thermodynamic phase transition?

Last edited:
Carlos L. Janer said:
Could our observable universe be in thermodynamic equilibrium at whatever energy scale the W and EM interactions decoupled? Or was it way too big?

That is one of the problems that inflation models claim to solve (the general term for it is the "horizon problem"; it's not limited to the EW phase transition). Without inflation, yes, the observable universe would have been too big at the phase transition for all of its parts to have been in causal contact, so it could not have been in thermal equilibrium. With inflation, because the observable universe at the phase transition would have been inflated from a much smaller previous state, it would have had time to thermalize before it was inflated, and inflation preserves thermal equilibrium, so it would have been in equilibrium at the phase transition.

This, however, is a separate problem from the problem of why the Higgs has the same VEV throughout the observable universe if the phase transition was first order. Inflation models don't solve the latter problem.

PeterDonis said:
That is one of the problems that inflation models claim to solve (the general term for it is the "horizon problem"; it's not limited to the EW phase transition). Without inflation, yes, the observable universe would have been too big at the phase transition for all of its parts to have been in causal contact, so it could not have been in thermal equilibrium. With inflation, because the observable universe at the phase transition would have been inflated from a much smaller previous state, it would have had time to thermalize before it was inflated, and inflation preserves thermal equilibrium, so it would have been in equilibrium at the phase transition.

This, however, is a separate problem from the problem of why the Higgs has the same VEV throughout the observable universe if the phase transition was first order. Inflation models don't solve the latter problem.
I am not familiar with the standard cosmological model but I can understand that the "universe" could be at "thermal equilibrium" right after the inflationary epoch. However, if it started to cool down right afterwards, it seems very unreasonable to me to assume that this process heppened everywhere exactly in the same way. I am going to speculate so I may be talking nonsense: I would tend to think that the vacuum state would change smoothly (at least its phase) across the whole "universe" (whatever this word means, because it does not seem to be our observable universe).

Carlos L. Janer said:
if it started to cool down right afterwards, it seems very unreasonable to me to assume that this process heppened everywhere exactly in the same way

It didn't. We know that because we know our present universe is not perfectly homogeneous; the matter in it has clumped into galaxies and stars and planets and us. So there must have been some inhomogeneities in the Big Bang. But they could have been very small at that time, since the clumping that has taken place over the past 13.7 billion years could have happened via gravity from very small variations in density at the start.

Carlos L. Janer said:
I would tend to think that the vacuum state would change smoothly (at least its phase) across the whole "universe"

The EW phase transition is not purely a matter of a vacuum state. It involves the VEV of the Higgs field, but the other Standard Model fields were not anywhere close to being in a vacuum state--they were thermally populated at a high temperature and density. The inhomogeneities could have been confined to the fields that were thermally populated, leaving the Higgs VEV uniform.

Carlos L. Janer said:
I am not familiar with the standard cosmological model but I can understand that the "universe" could be at "thermal equilibrium" right after the inflationary epoch.
"Right after" is usually not the case. Right after inflation the Universe is completely empty apart from the inflaton field. The decay of the inflaton field creates a large number of particles that start interacting and enter thermal equilibrium with each other. This process is called reheating.

Carlos L. Janer said:
I would tend to think that the vacuum state would change smoothly (at least its phase) across the whole "universe" (whatever this word means, because it does not seem to be our observable universe).
This is not necessarily the case and it depends on how the minimum at a non-zero value of the Higgs field develops as temperature decreases. It would generally be possible to develop this minimum with or without a barrier that the field has to tunnel through.

Likes Carlos L. Janer
PeterDonis said:
The EW phase transition is not purely a matter of a vacuum state. It involves the VEV of the Higgs field, but the other Standard Model fields were not anywhere close to being in a vacuum state--they were thermally populated at a high temperature and density. The inhomogeneities could have been confined to the fields that were thermally populated, leaving the Higgs VEV uniform.

I am afraid that I cannot have an informed opinion about any of this because I know next to nothing about the Lambda-CDM model. However I am starting to think that the connection between a "cosmological phase transition" and equilibrium critical phenomena is not as straightforward as I thought it was. I will work and think about this for a few weeks and will come back to this subject when/if I have anything meaningful to say.

Thank you very much to both of you, PeterDonis and Orodruin for your time.

Carlos.

Orodruin said:
"Right after" is usually not the case. Right after inflation the Universe is completely empty apart from the inflaton field. The decay of the inflaton field creates a large number of particles that start interacting and enter thermal equilibrium with each other. This process is called reheating.This is not necessarily the case and it depends on how the minimum at a non-zero value of the Higgs field develops as temperature decreases. It would generally be possible to develop their minimum with or without a barrier that the field has to tunnel through.

I am sorry to bother you again with this subject, but the more I think about it the less I understand it. My questions are numerous: How real is the cosmological EW phase transition suppossed to be? Did it really happen or there was a single GUT phase transition? Because if it really happened, if it is not just an artifact to produce mass, it has implications that seem paradoxical to me, to say the least:

1.- Pior to it, all fundamental fermions were massless and, correct me if I am wrong, Weyl equations described them? Parity was not a discrete symmetry of any gauged interaction? Do we have to figure out a new equation to describe their free behaviour?

2.- How do you decelarate a particle that is moving at the speed of light?

3.- Did leptons and quarks masses increased at the same rate as Higgs field VEV was becoming larger and larger? If this were a true thermodynamical phase transition, Higgs field minimum VEV would not be attained instantly, it would increase graudally as temperature dropped.

4.- I find no compelling reason to explain why Higgs field phase takes the same value at causally disconnected regions of the universe.

Sorry for posting so many questions at the same time, but I can make no sense of it. I think that I do not understand the cosmological implications of this phase transition at all.

Last edited:
Do my questions make any sense? If they do not, I would appreciate it very much if someone told me so.

Carlos L. Janer said:
Pior to it, all fundamental fermions were massless

Yes.

Carlos L. Janer said:
Weyl equations described them?

What are "Weyl equations"?

Carlos L. Janer said:
Parity was not a discrete symmetry of any gauged interaction?

As far as I know, in our current model of the electroweak phase transition it does not affect the parity symmetry properties of any of the interactions.

Carlos L. Janer said:
How do you decelarate a particle that is moving at the speed of light?

The EW phase transition doesn't involve "decelerating" anything. It involves quantum fields, not particles. ("Particles" is just a useful shorthand name for certain types of quantum field states; it is not a fundamental concept in QFT and this is a case where it cannot usefully be applied.)

Carlos L. Janer said:
Did leptons and quarks masses increased at the same rate as Higgs field VEV was becoming larger and larger?

I don't know that we know an answer to this question with our current level of knowledge.

Carlos L. Janer said:
I find no compelling reason to explain why Higgs field phase takes the same value at causally disconnected regions of the universe.

In inflation models, our observable universe was causally connected before the EW phase transition, so there is nothing that needs explaining. That is one of the key things that makes inflation models useful.

PeterDonis said:
What are "Weyl equations"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weyl_equation

PeterDonis said:
The EW phase transition doesn't involve "decelerating" anything. It involves quantum fields, not particles. ("Particles" is just a useful shorthand name for certain types of quantum field states; it is not a fundamental concept in QFT and this is a case where it cannot usefully be applied.)

Before the EW phase transition (and afterwards) the temperature of the universe was very high, so there had to be excitations ("particles") of the different quantum fields. They all had to be massless because the Higgs field VEV was zero. My question is: what happened to these massless "excitations" when the bubbles of the new true vacuum (whose Higgs field VEV was no longer zero) formed and began to expand? Did they suddenly become aware that they "had to acquire mass"? I think that you realize that the situation is paradoxical.

Carlos L. Janer said:
so there had to be excitations ("particles") of the different quantum fields.
A particle is a very peculiar type of excitation. You cannot put an equal sign between particles and excited quantum field.

Orodruin said:
A particle is a very peculiar type of excitation. You cannot put an equal sign between particles and excited quantum field.

But why did the universe have to be devoid of such particles?

PeterDonis said:
In inflation models, our observable universe was causally connected before the EW phase transition, so there is nothing that needs explaining. That is one of the key things that makes inflation models useful.

Our universe has regions that are causally connected to us but not among themselves.

Last edited:
I am not trying to struggle with anybody, this is not about being either "right" or "wrong". The only thing I want is to understand the things that seem paradoxical to me. They probably look paradoxical to me just because I do not have a clear understanding of what was happening.

Last edited:

1. What is the cosmological electroweak phase transition?

The cosmological electroweak phase transition is a theoretical event that is believed to have occurred in the early universe, around 10^-12 seconds after the Big Bang. It is a major phase transition in the evolution of the universe, during which the electroweak force (which combines the electromagnetic and weak nuclear forces) separated from the strong nuclear force, creating distinct particles and interactions.

2. How does the cosmological electroweak phase transition relate to the formation of the universe?

The cosmological electroweak phase transition is a crucial event in the early universe that is believed to have set the stage for the formation of the universe as we know it. It is thought to have led to the formation of distinct particles and interactions, which eventually gave rise to the formation of atoms and the beginning of structure formation in the universe.

3. What evidence supports the occurrence of the cosmological electroweak phase transition?

Although the cosmological electroweak phase transition is a theoretical event, there is evidence to support its occurrence. This includes observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which provides insight into the early universe, as well as experiments conducted at the Large Hadron Collider that have detected the Higgs boson, a particle associated with the electroweak force.

4. How does the cosmological electroweak phase transition impact our understanding of the universe?

The cosmological electroweak phase transition is a crucial event in the evolution of the universe and has significant implications for our understanding of its origins. It helps explain the separation of the fundamental forces and the formation of the basic building blocks of the universe. It also has implications for theories such as inflation and the formation of the first cosmic structures.

5. Are there any ongoing studies or experiments related to the cosmological electroweak phase transition?

Yes, there are ongoing studies and experiments related to the cosmological electroweak phase transition. These include further analysis of data from the Large Hadron Collider to better understand the Higgs boson and its role in the electroweak force, as well as observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation to gather more information about the early universe and potential signatures of the phase transition. Additionally, there are ongoing theoretical studies to refine our understanding of the event and its implications for the evolution of the universe.