Could Black Holes Expand in Negative Dimensions and Create a Negative Universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a black hole expanding into a negative dimension and giving rise to a negative universe, similar to the big bang. However, this idea is considered pure speculation since the physics of black holes does not extend to the point of singularity. It is suggested that once the theory of quantum gravity is discovered, things may become clearer. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of testing this idea due to the high escape velocity of black holes. It is noted that this topic is not typically discussed on PF and should be approached with caution. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the laws of physics in such a universe and a recommendation to read more about the topic.
swaroop
I know this is far from what a strict obeyance to the principle of occoms razor may result in and its probably wrong. is it theoretically possible that as a star contracts to result in a black hole, the contraction does not stop when its just a point hole, but continues, expanding in a negative dimension, increasing in negative size and giving rise to a negative universe? To inhabitants of such a universe, if such is possible, its birth would resemble our big bang, right?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Interesting thought but its pure speculation since the physics of black holes doesn't extend to the point of singularity so we just don't know.

Perhaps once we discover the theory of quantum gravity then things will become more clear.

Even if we could design an experiment to test out your thought no light signals would ever escape for us to view since the escape velocity, once you're past the black hole event horizon, is greater than the speed of light itself so basically you'd never be able to tell us what happened.

However, you could use it as a premise for a cool science-fiction story realizing that you'd have to violate one or more principles of physics to make it interesting.

Also please be aware that PF doesn't dwell on speculative science or personal theories and will often close threads related to it. PF is focused primarily on helping students understand mainstream STEM subjects.

Last edited:
Oh, the gravity of it all that causes the space between the words black hole to disappear into the void of malapropism...

jedishrfu, lol.. black>-----<hole
Anyway, i know this can never be objectively tested, hence the words theoretically (although, i did allude to my speculation that this could have actually happened to our universe)

Simon, thanks, ill read up on it.

PS: Do you think the laws of physics inside such a universe would be the same?

swaroop said:
jedishrfu, lol.. black>-----<hole
... yeah, we'll be telling Uranus jokes next.

Anyway, i know this can never be objectively tested, hence the words theoretically (although, i did allude to my speculation that this could have actually happened to our universe)
... the word "speculation" is more appropriate here than "theory". Take care with speculations on PF.

The link I provided has the background and a short discussion on the questions you raise here.
It is also well discussed in these forums and elsewhere online, you should investigate.

Likes 1 person

What is a blackhole?

A blackhole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This is caused by a huge amount of mass being concentrated in a small area, creating a strong gravitational field.

What are the dimensions of a blackhole?

The dimensions of a blackhole are determined by its event horizon, which is the point of no return for objects entering the blackhole. The event horizon is directly related to the mass of the blackhole, with larger blackholes having larger event horizons.

How is the size of a blackhole measured?

The size of a blackhole is typically measured in terms of its Schwarzschild radius, which is the distance from the center of the blackhole to its event horizon. This can be calculated using the blackhole's mass and the gravitational constant.

Can blackholes have different shapes?

No, blackholes are often depicted as perfect spheres, but in reality, they are not shaped like traditional objects. The gravitational pull of a blackhole is so strong that it distorts the fabric of space-time, causing it to have a singular shape.

Are there different types of blackholes?

Yes, there are three main types of blackholes: stellar, intermediate, and supermassive. Stellar blackholes are formed from the collapse of a single massive star, intermediate blackholes are thought to be formed from the merging of multiple stellar blackholes, and supermassive blackholes are found at the centers of most galaxies and are thought to have formed from the merging of many intermediate blackholes.