Could somebody define Cell current?

This can be calculated using Ohm's Law: I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance. The voltage of the cell is given as 3.0V and the total circuit resistance is 12.0 Ohms, so the cell current would be 0.25 amps.In summary, the conversation is about calculating the cell current for a specific circuit question in physics. The person is seeking guidance and clarification on the type of cell and current involved. They have also shared the information and calculations they have done so far. The expert provides a summary of the problem and explains how to calculate the cell current using Ohm's Law.
Phys.ics
Hi.

As part of my as physics work i have to calculate the 'cell current', but we haven't covered this in class.

I have searched on google but nothing has come up.

If somebody could point me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to give a bit more context. What kind of cell or current are we talking about here? A battery cell? Ion movement in an electrolysis cell? Cytoplasmic streams within a biological cell? Terrorist cells?

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

I am working through the question:

A cell of emf 3.0v and negligible internal resistance is connected to a 4.0 Ohm resistor in series with a parallel combination of a 24.0 Ohm resistor and a 12.0 OHm resistor. Calculate:
-the total circuit resistance (which I've calculated as 12.0V)
-and the cell current

That's all the info that's given.

I think you'll find that the units for your equivalent resistance should be in Ohms.

For the cell current, you want to know what current the cell will be providing to the circuit.

Cell current refers to the flow of electric charge through a cell, typically a battery or a fuel cell. This flow of charge is measured in amperes (A) and is dependent on the voltage of the cell and the resistance of the circuit it is connected to. The cell current can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that the current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R) in the circuit (I=V/R). In order to accurately calculate the cell current, it is important to have a clear understanding of the cell's voltage and the resistance of the circuit it is connected to. I recommend consulting your textbook or speaking with your teacher for further clarification on this topic.

Related to Could somebody define Cell current?

What is a cell current?

A cell current is the flow of electric charge through a cell, which is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy. It is measured in amperes (A) and is the rate at which charges move through the cell's circuit.

How is cell current related to voltage?

Cell current and voltage are directly related through Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). This means that as voltage increases, so does current, assuming the resistance stays constant.

What factors affect cell current?

The main factors that affect cell current are the voltage of the cell, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of material used in the cell. Other factors that can impact cell current include temperature, humidity, and the age of the cell.

How is cell current measured?

Cell current is typically measured using a device called an ammeter, which is connected in series with the circuit. The ammeter measures the flow of current through the circuit and displays it in amperes (A) on a digital or analog display.

What is the difference between cell current and battery current?

Cell current and battery current are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference between the two. Cell current refers to the flow of current through a single cell, while battery current refers to the combined current of multiple cells connected in series or parallel.