Could the acceleration of expansion (of the universe) be an optical illusion?

In summary, the paper suggests that the apparent acceleration may be due to inhomogeneity at the currently accepted scale, which cannot account for the data. However, the model is still active research, and there is hope that it can be resolved.
pdxfetal
Physics & astronomy are interests of mine (I don't understand the granular details & apologize if this is a silly question)

Could it be that the increasing rate of expansion be similar to how two points on a balloon would appear to distance themselves as you fill it with air?

di-HWWP.jpg

Astronomy news on Phys.org
pdxfetal said:
Physics & astronomy are interests of mine (I don't understand the granular details & apologize if this is a silly question)

Could it be that the increasing rate of expansion be similar to how two points on a balloon would appear to distance themselves as you fill it with air?

di-HWWP.jpg

Welcome to physics forums.

If we stick with your balloon analogy, accelerated expansion means the rate of inflation of the balloon is increasing. Steady filling of the balloon would be the crude analogy of non-accelerating expansion.

While acceleration of expansion is certainly not established at the same confidence level as, say, quantum mechanics, it went from being met with skepticism, to the current situation where there are no really credible alternative explanations of the accumulated observations. I believe the last major alternative was that our galaxy being a vast low density void could explain the results. Further observations have ruled this out.

Thank you for the response! So if the 3 dimensions of the universe that we know were only represented by the rubbery material of the balloon and the gas used to fill the balloon wasn't visible from our vantage point wouldn't the steady expansion appear to be accelerating as the rubber stretches?

pdxfetal said:
Thank you for the response! So if the 3 dimensions of the universe that we know were only represented by the rubbery material of the balloon and the gas used to fill the balloon wasn't visible from our vantage point wouldn't the steady expansion appear to be accelerating as the rubber stretches?

The balloon is a really crude analogy that you can't stretch too far. What is really going on is comparison of observations to actual model of expansion, and finding that observations don't fit the simple un-accelerated models.

However, to continue a moment with the balloon, uniform increase in volume of balloon leads to recession velocities between marks on the balloon that are proportional to distance (the further away the marks are, the faster they move apart as the balloon fills a bit more). This is speed proportional to distance is what was expected for uniform expansion. Accelerating expansion predicts deviations form this, of the form that we observe.

pdxfetal said:

It turns out that if you work through the observations that the expansion is faster than what you see if you assume a balloon.

What people measure is the Hubble constant which is roughly the rate at which the balloon is expanding. If it is expanding like a balloon, then H is going to be constant. What we are seeing as we take nearby measurements of supernova is that H seems to be increasing as you see nearby galaxies.

Also, I encourage people to read the original Riess paper, since it's an excellent example of scientific argumentation

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1998AJ...116.1009R

If you look at the headings, you will see a lot of "did you consider the possibility that what you are seeing is ?" with a paragraph "yes we did consider the possibility that what we are seeing is ? but we don't think so because of ****"

twofish-quant said:
Has there been any news since late April? Since as of 4/29/2011 the Witshire model hasn't been ruled out.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=493096

The latest paper that I know of is here

http://arxiv.org/abs/1102.2045

Interesting. I was thinking of the simpler void models, which have been pretty much abandoned. I had not heard of Wiltshire's model, or his continued defense of against the latest data. So, I'm glad I used defensive formulation: not an established fact, but a working consensus.

Here is a paper citing your Wiltshire link that gives general, but not firm, counter-argument. It agrees with Wiltshire on the key point that we need better data on the scale at which homogeneity sets it. However, if I have interpreted it right, it suggests that inhomogeneity at the currently accepted scale cannot account for the apparent acceleration.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1105.3450

And here is a review article recommended by the above, that also cites Wiltshire:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1103.2335

So this still looks like an active research front. I personally would love to be rid of dark energy. Dark matter, on the other hand, seems close to an established fact to me.

1. How do we know that the acceleration of expansion of the universe is not just an optical illusion?

Scientists have been studying the expansion of the universe for decades and have gathered extensive evidence to support the theory of accelerated expansion. This evidence includes observations of distant supernovae, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the large-scale structure of the universe. Additionally, the acceleration of expansion has been independently confirmed by multiple research groups using different methods.

2. What could be causing the illusion of acceleration in the expansion of the universe?

There are several proposed explanations for the apparent acceleration of the expansion of the universe, including the existence of dark energy, modifications to Einstein's theory of general relativity, and the effects of inhomogeneities in the distribution of matter. However, more research and data are needed to fully understand the cause of this acceleration.

3. How does dark energy play a role in the acceleration of expansion?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is believed to have a negative pressure, which would cause the expansion of the universe to accelerate. However, the exact nature of dark energy is still not fully understood and is an active area of research in cosmology.

4. Could the acceleration of expansion be an effect of the expansion of space itself?

Some theories propose that the acceleration of expansion is not caused by any external force or energy, but rather by the expansion of space itself. This means that the distance between objects in the universe is increasing, causing the illusion of acceleration. However, this is still a subject of debate and further research is needed to determine the true cause of the acceleration.

5. How does the acceleration of expansion affect the fate of the universe?

The acceleration of expansion has significant implications for the future of the universe. If the acceleration continues to increase, it could eventually lead to a "Big Rip" scenario in which the expansion becomes so rapid that it tears apart all matter in the universe. However, if the acceleration slows down or stops, the universe could eventually reach a state of equilibrium. The ultimate fate of the universe is still uncertain and depends on the true cause of the acceleration of expansion.