Are Black Holes linked to our Universe & Dark Energy/Matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of linking the start of our Universe with a black hole and how it may account for dark energy and matter. However, the idea is purely speculative and cannot be scientifically studied as it involves other universes. The conversation also touches on the flaw in the logic of this idea and how knowledge generally progresses in the scientific community.
HARVEYU1E1
After a quick and not fruitful Google Search I leave this question in better minds than my own.
Q- Has there been any discussion linking the start of our Universe with a black hole?
<Reason behind Question> I feel as if certain phenomenon seems quite similar to one another. A) star dies, implodes, becomes a black hole B) Big Bang occurs "out of nowhere" creates a Universe.

Further, does the black hole consuming whatever matter in its wake account for the "Dark energy & Matter" that we have been able to detect? I picture; a star dies, and becomes a black hole, in turn, creating a Universe. Within the Universe, the Black hole pumps whatever matter it has consumed into it.

I see it being a very understandable process. Which also, to me, accounts for Inflation. The more the Black Hole consumes, the bigger it gets, which allows it to consume more and more than it previously did when it first occurred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are mixing a lot of concepts together that you have heard about but only in a pop sci context.

Black holes and cosmological spacetimes are quite different. One important difference is that the black hole spacetime is asymptotically flat, but the cosmological spacetime is not. This may seem like a small distinction, but it has some big consequences. For example, a global conserved energy can be defined in the black hole spacetime, but not in the cosmological one.

Likes Stavros Kiri
HARVEYU1E1 said:
Q- Has there been any discussion linking the start of our Universe with a black hole?
To argue for that you have to argue for the existence of a meta-Universe in which the black hole must have originally formed.
It then logically follows that this meta-Universe is itself the product of another black hole in a meta-meta-Universe, and so on ...

Likes HARVEYU1E1
Dale said:
It sounds like you are mixing a lot of concepts together that you have heard about but only in a pop sci context.

Black holes and cosmological spacetimes are quite different. One important difference is that the black hole spacetime is asymptotically flat, but the cosmological spacetime is not. This may seem like a small distinction, but it has some big consequences. For example, a global conserved energy can be defined in the black hole spacetime, but not in the cosmological one.[/QUOTE
rootone said:
To argue for that you have to argue for the existence of a meta-Universe in which the black hole must have originally formed.
It then logically follows that this meta-Universe is itself the product of another black hole in a meta-meta-Universe, and so on ...
Well, clearly, and I agree. I am ill equipped to answer a question like that, my only reasoning for asking mine was to see if there has been any study/questions posed about the prospect of it.

@Dale ... I understand that point. It just seems to me that if there would ever be a time for something completely "I'll rational" <as if everything else in this universe makes complete sense, said jokingly) to happen it would be in discussion with the most unexplained phenomena that we know about. I.e. Black Holes, Big Bang, Dark Matter/Energy.
All of the above is still in regards to posed question- Has the ever been a any study/questions posed in the past about the prospect of it. Thank you for your reply.

This speculation that our Universe exists inside a black hole in another Universe has been suggested before.
It is not a scientifically addressable idea because other Universes are by definition not part of our Universe and can't be studied.
However as I pointed out there is a flaw in the logic because you end up with an infinite series of Universes containing other Universes without end.

Likes HARVEYU1E1
HARVEYU1E1 said:
@Dale ... I understand that point. It just seems to me that if there would ever be a time for something completely "I'll rational" <as if everything else in this universe makes complete sense, said jokingly) to happen it would be in discussion with the most unexplained phenomena that we know about. I.e. Black Holes, Big Bang, Dark Matter/Energy.
All of the above is still in regards to posed question- Has the ever been a any study/questions posed in the past about the prospect of it. Thank you for your reply.
I understand your desire here, but this generally is not the way that knowledge progresses. First we start to understand separate phenomena and develop models for them, and then we notice connections between them. A good example is electromagnetism, we first characterized electricity and magnetism and light, and afterwards we found the connection.

There may be such discussions in the literature, but even from professionals it would be speculative.

Likes HARVEYU1E1
Dale said:
I understand your desire here, but this generally is not the way that knowledge progresses. .
I am of the mind that it doesn't matter which way knowledge "generally" progresses, only that it does. As a professional athlete I wrote an outline of my Goals out on paper. There was one main goal, which was the heading. I believed it to be the correct path. I then worked backward to see which smaller goals would attribute to the success of the Header. Regardless of my success, my point remains is that there is no right or wrong way to reach a destination.

Q- Do you find it interesting that one event "destroys"<for lack of a better term> life? (Black Hole). And another event "starts"<for lack of a better term>life?(Big Bang)

There's no reason to believe that black holes create new universes. Sometimes pop sci likes to emphasize what could speculatively be possible with the basic equations, but there isn't any evidence or even a coherent theory of how this could work.

Khashishi said:
There's no reason to believe that black holes create new universes.
Respectively, to say there is "NO reason to believe" seems a bit misguided. The adage being; "a lack of evidence isn't evidence at all".

Also, formulas & previous theories aside KHASHISHI, do you not find it coincidental that "A Black Hole destroys life and the Big Bang creates life? This is the route of my inquiry.

HARVEYU1E1 said:
Also, formulas & previous theories aside KHASHISHI, do you not find it coincidental that "A Black Hole destroys life and the Big Bang creates life? This is the route of my inquiry.
Personally I don't find it "coincidental", just random facts that you are REALLY stretching to try to correlate in any meaningful way

Likes CalcNerd and PeterDonis
HARVEYU1E1 said:
to say there is "NO reason to believe" seems a bit misguided. The adage being; "a lack of evidence isn't evidence at all".

All your adage means is that if there is no evidence, you don't have a reason to believe and you don't have a reason to disbelieve. It doesn't mean that in the absence of evidence you can believe whatever you want. It means you should admit you don't know and stop there.

Likes HARVEYU1E1 and phinds
HARVEYU1E1 said:
if there would ever be a time for something completely "I'll rational" <as if everything else in this universe makes complete sense, said jokingly) to happen it would be in discussion with the most unexplained phenomena that we know about. I.e. Black Holes, Big Bang, Dark Matter/Energy

Basically, your argument here is: all of these phenomena are unexplained, therefore they must be the same thing. That isn't a valid argument. It isn't even much of a heuristic guess. The similarities you describe are superficial; when you dig below the surface there are many more differences.

HARVEYU1E1 said:
Which also, to me, accounts for Inflation. The more the Black Hole consumes, the bigger it gets, which allows it to consume more and more than it previously did when it first occurred.

This isn't even a superficial similarity: the process of inflation has nothing in common, that I can see, with a black hole growing as things fall into it. Inflation doesn't "consume" anything.

PeterDonis said:
It doesn't mean that in the absence of evidence you can believe whatever you want. It means you should admit you don't know and stop there.

*believe whatever I want*... My apologies for not articulating my point as I should have. I do not believe, definitively, in anything. I only BELIEVE that these phenomena seemed very similar.

Also, it was posed as a question, because even though I admit I don't know, I'm not going to just "stop there".

Better question for you, Peter. Do you believe that a more informed person should belittle a less informed person who is trying to learn/converse about Physics?
Regardless, thank you for your feedback.

PeterDonis said:
Basically, your argument here is: all of these phenomena are unexplained, therefore they must be the same thing. That isn't a valid argument.

I'm sorry, but this is not my argument.

PeterDonis said:
the process of inflation has nothing in common, that I can see, with a black hole growing as things fall into it. Inflation doesn't "consume" anything.

My question to others was this, Peter...

If***** a black hole was linked to our universe, could it be possible that the consumption of matter/lite from a black hole, then feed our Universe?
(Again, I apologize if I am not articulating myself well enough)
I picture a Black hole consuming matter/lite and getting bigger and bigger. And, if it does in fact feed our Universe, could the rate of inflation be linked to the expansion of a Black hole?

This is why I posed the question. Am I correct in assuming that a black hole gains mass from the consumption of matter/lite over time?

HARVEYU1E1 said:
I picture a Black hole consuming matter/lite and getting bigger and bigger. And, if it does in fact feed our Universe ...
Do you not see how in consecutive sentences you have directly contradicted yourself.

Look, thinking outside the box is not a bad thing, but first you have to know what's IN the box. You don't and you clearly would serve yourself better to do some studying of basic cosmology rather than asking random and disjointed questions on an internet forum.

phinds said:
Do you not see how in consecutive sentences you have directly contradicted yourself.

Look, thinking outside the box is not a bad thing, but first you have to know what's IN the box. You don't and you clearly would serve yourself better to do some studying of basic cosmology rather than asking random and disjointed questions on an internet forum.

I apologize, but I do not see the contradiction. However, I am open to being shown how.

Also, the studying of Basic Cosmology is difficult for myself. Try as I do, without proper education giving you step by step instruction, it is quite challenging for most (I assume) to become adequate enough to hold an intelligent conversation with a topic as difficult as any field of Physics.

Lastly, I posed a question on the Internet for help, for conversation... Had I known beforehand that I was going to offend the Forum Gods I still would've done it. Physics should be spoken of. Not for just the very few with an understanding, but everyone. It's what I believe would help our culture. What doesn't, in my opinion, is responding to someone's post, (when you didn't have to in the first place) negatively. My unsolicited thoughts anyways. Maybe you're normal and will take this to heart, and maybe, just maybe, down the way you could help nurture someone's interest. Regardless, thank you for your input. Good day.

HARVEYU1E1 said:
Q- Do you find it interesting that one event "destroys"<for lack of a better term> life? (Black Hole). And another event "starts"<for lack of a better term>life?(Big Bang)
Yes, I do find it interesting, but no more or less interesting than any other pair of otherwise loosely related lethal and essential things.

Likes HARVEYU1E1
HARVEYU1E1 said:
even though I admit I don't know, I'm not going to just "stop there".

If not stopping there means speculating, please review the PF rules. PF is focused on discussion of mainstream science. We have the Beyond the Standard Model forum where some proposed theories that are not mainstream are discussed, but even those have enough of a rigorous formulation in peer-reviewed papers that there is a basis for discussion. There are no such formulations that I'm aware of regarding the things you have mentioned here.

HARVEYU1E1 said:
Do you believe that a more informed person should belittle a less informed person who is trying to learn/converse about Physics?

Do you believe that pointing out the limitations of your knowledge is belittling? Particularly when the limitation is not even personal to you, but is shared by everyone?

HARVEYU1E1 said:
I'm sorry, but this is not my argument.

Then I'm afraid I don't understand what your argument is. If it's just pointing out that those three things are unexplained, then where do we go from there? We don't have any basis for discussion beyond "these things are unexplained, but they all look similar to me". That's not enough to get anywhere.

HARVEYU1E1 said:
Am I correct in assuming that a black hole gains mass from the consumption of matter/lite over time?

Yes, that is correct.

HARVEYU1E1 said:
could it be possible that the consumption of matter/lite from a black hole, then feed our Universe?

What do you mean by "feed our universe"? If you mean, can a black hole gaining mass cause our universe to have inflated in the past, no, there is no basis for that in our current theories, or in any proposed models of inflation.

Dale said:
Yes, I do find it interesting, but no more or less interesting than any other pair of otherwise loosely related lethal and essential things.

Lol, understood. Thanks for taking the time.

HARVEYU1E1 said:
I only BELIEVE that these phenomena seemed very similar.
Hmm, the only obvious similarities are that they are both spherically symmetric and they both have spacelike singularities. Other than that one is static the other is not, one has an event horizon the other does not, one is a vacuum the other is not, one is asymptotically flat the other is not. In most of the ways that spacetimes are characterized they are different.

Likes PeterDonis
Dale said:
Hmm, the only obvious similarities are that they are both spherically symmetric and they both have spacelike singularities. Other than that one is static the other is not, one has an event horizon the other does not, one is a vacuum the other is not, one is asymptotically flat the other is not. In most of the ways that spacetimes are characterized they are different.

I'm going to have to apologize for my having to apologize so much. Lol.
"Similar"... No clue why I used this word.

Coincidence. It seems coincidental that one phenomena ends life, and the other starts life.
Now, "Life", it seems, is always trying to happen and subsequently evolve. I thought this even before reading of fine-tuning just with the basic understanding of Natural Selection. So why is it that we have this Finely-Tuned Universe with Black Holes in the center of Galaxies trying to end life? Now, obviously there is equal probability for another reason of why this happens, but I choose to investigate the possibility of life not ending at the Singularity, but instead being created elsewhere.

So, not similarities, but it seems coincidental that Black Holes end life, and Big Bangs create it. I'm not sure of the term, but doesn't everything have its counterpart? Yen/yang, matter/antimatter, light/dark? Well, now I choose to investigate; LIFE DESTROYER/LIFE STARTER.

HARVEYU1E1 said:
"Life", it seems, is always trying to happen and subsequently evolve

What evidence do we have of this? The only life we know of is here, on Earth--one planet, out of possibly billions of planets in our galaxy, which is one of hundreds of billions of galaxies. We have no idea whether there is life anywhere else in the universe. So I see no basis for making such a sweeping claim.

Likes Stavros Kiri
PeterDonis said:
What evidence do we have of this? The only life we know of is here, on Earth--one planet, out of possibly billions of planets in our galaxy, which is one of hundreds of billions of galaxies. We have no idea whether there is life anywhere else in the universe. So I see no basis for making such a sweeping claim.

There is no evidence. I only say it as my own personal belief, as well as not being able to say it definitively.

HARVEYU1E1 said:
There is no evidence. I only say it as my own personal belief
That is not what we do here. We promote mainstream professional science, not personal speculation.

Thread closed

1. Are black holes connected to dark energy and dark matter?

While black holes and dark energy/matter are both mysterious and fascinating aspects of our universe, there is currently no evidence to suggest a direct connection between the two. Black holes are regions of space where the gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape, while dark energy and dark matter are theoretical concepts used to explain the behavior of the universe on a large scale. However, some theories do propose that black holes may play a role in the distribution of dark matter in galaxies.

2. What is the relationship between black holes and the expansion of the universe?

Black holes are not directly linked to the expansion of the universe. The expansion of the universe is primarily driven by dark energy, which is a force that counteracts the effects of gravity and causes the universe to expand at an accelerating rate. Black holes, on the other hand, have a more local effect and do not contribute significantly to the overall expansion of the universe.

3. Can black holes explain the missing mass in the universe?

While black holes do contribute to the total mass of the universe, they cannot account for the missing mass, also known as dark matter. Dark matter is thought to make up about 27% of the universe's total mass, while black holes make up a much smaller percentage. Additionally, the behavior of dark matter is vastly different from that of black holes, making it unlikely that black holes can fully explain the missing mass.

4. Do black holes have an impact on the rate of expansion of the universe?

No, black holes do not have a significant impact on the rate of expansion of the universe. While black holes do exert a strong gravitational pull, their effects are limited to their local surroundings and do not have a widespread impact on the expansion of the universe. Dark energy is the primary force driving the expansion of the universe.

5. How do scientists study the relationship between black holes and dark energy/matter?

Scientists study black holes and dark energy/matter through observations and theoretical models. Astronomers use powerful telescopes to observe the behavior of black holes and their surroundings, while physicists use mathematical models and simulations to study the effects of dark energy and dark matter on the universe. However, due to the elusive nature of both black holes and dark energy/matter, our understanding of their relationship is still limited and requires further research and exploration.