Coulomb ( Electric force and charge )

In summary, the total charge of the radon nucleus is 1.38 * 10^-17 C, the magnitude of its electric field at a distance of 9.6 x10-10 m from the nucleus is +1.34 * 10^11 V/m, and the magnitude of the force on an electron at that distance is 2.10*10^-8 N. The equation used was F = qE where q is the charge of an electron (+/- 1.60 * 10^-19 C). The answer was verified to be correct.
asz304

Homework Statement

1. [1pt]
What is the total charge of the radon nucleus? (The neutral radon atom has 86 electrons.)

1.38 * 10^-17 C

2. [1pt]
What is the magnitude of its electric field at a distance of 9.6 x10-10 m from the nucleus?

+1.34 * 10^11 V/m

3. [1pt]
What is the magnitude of the force on an electron at that distance?

Homework Equations

F=qE

q = +/- 1.60 * 10^-19 C

The Attempt at a Solution

F = (- 1.60*10^-19C)(1.34*10^11 V/m )
= 2.10*10^-8 N

I tried to use + and -ve C to get my answer, but the computer told me I got the wrong answer. Is there something that I'm missing?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
even i got same answer

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the relationship between electric charge and electric force. It states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that determines how it interacts with electric and magnetic fields. It can be either positive or negative, and like charges repel each other while opposite charges attract.

3. How is electric force calculated?

Electric force is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force (F) between two charged objects is equal to the product of their charges (q1 and q2) divided by the square of the distance (r) between them, multiplied by a constant (k): F = k(q1q2)/r².

4. Can electric force be attractive and repulsive?

Yes, electric force can be both attractive and repulsive. Objects with opposite charges will attract each other, while objects with the same charge will repel each other. This is due to Coulomb's Law, which states that like charges repel and opposite charges attract.

5. How does distance affect electric force?

According to Coulomb's Law, electric force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two charged objects. This means that as the distance between two charged objects increases, the force between them decreases. The force decreases rapidly as the distance increases, so the strength of the force is very sensitive to changes in distance.