Coulombs force law in a three dimensional coordinate system problem

In summary, the Coulomb force is a vector, parallel to the line connecting the charges. The force q1 exerts on q2 points from q1 to q2, parallel with the difference of the position vectors Δr=r2-r1, if both charges have the same sign, otherwise it is in the opposite direction.
SirPlus
Two point charges of Q1 = +37 nC and Q2 = +70 nC are located at points (1,3,0) m and (0,0,2) m, respectively.

Q : Calculate the force exerted on Q2 by Q1.

Attempt : I applied phythagoras theorem to find the distance between Q1 and Q2, I then applied coulombs force law equation directly given r,Q1,Q2, however I am puzzled to how I could find the direction of the force and how possible i could solve the problem in vector notation ..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SirPlus, welcome to PF.

What does Coulomb's law say about the direction of the force between two charges?

ehild

Nothing much, it simply tells us about the magnitude of the electrostatic force exerted on charge by the other and that this force is directly proportional to the product of charges and inversly proportional to the square of the distance between the centre of the charges - i am however intersted in the orientation of the coulombs force in a 3d space like a coordinate system, after all force is a vector quantity...

Thanks for the invitation dude

That's right! Forces are vectors. For the Coulomb Law it's
[tex]\vec{F}=\frac{q_1 q_2 (\vec{r}_1-\vec{r}_2)}{|\vec{r}_1-\vec{r}_2|^3}.[/tex]
That's the force acting on a charge [itex]q_1[/itex] at position [itex]\vec{r}_1[/itex] due to a charge [itex]q_2[/itex] at position [itex]\vec{r}_2[/itex] (in Heaviside-Lorentz units).

SirPlus said:
Nothing much, it simply tells us about the magnitude of the electrostatic force exerted on charge by the other and that this force is directly proportional to the product of charges and inversly proportional to the square of the distance between the centre of the charges - i am however intersted in the orientation of the coulombs force in a 3d space like a coordinate system, after all force is a vector quantity...

See: http://faculty.wwu.edu/vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/ElectricForce/CoulombLaw.html

The Coulomb force is a vector, parallel with the line connecting the charges. The force q1 exerts on q2 points from q1 to q2, parallel with the difference of the position vectors Δr=r2-r1, if both charges have the same sign, otherwise it is in the opposite direction.
The exact, vectorial formula of the Coulomb force is what vanhees71 wrote. You need to multiply the magnitude of the Coulomb force with the unit vector parallel to Δr.

ehild

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, but doesn't tell me anything about the orientation of the force in a three dimensional space?

SirPlus said:
Sure, but doesn't tell me anything about the orientation of the force in a three dimensional space?

It does. The force is parallel to the difference of the position vectors. The position vectors r1 and r2 are given. What is their difference?

ehild

Thanks so we use vector notation, thanks pretty clear now ...

1. What is Coulomb's force law in a three dimensional coordinate system problem?

Coulomb's force law states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In a three dimensional coordinate system, this force can be calculated using vector components.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of the force using Coulomb's law in a three dimensional coordinate system?

To calculate the magnitude of the force, you can use the formula F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them. In a three dimensional coordinate system, you will need to use vector components to find the distance between the particles.

3. Can Coulomb's law be applied to point charges in a three dimensional coordinate system?

Yes, Coulomb's law can be applied to point charges in a three dimensional coordinate system. The distance between the point charges can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, and then the formula F = k(q1q2)/r^2 can be used to calculate the magnitude of the force.

4. How does the direction of the force change in a three dimensional coordinate system?

In a three dimensional coordinate system, the direction of the force is determined by the vector components of the distance between the charged particles. The force will act along the line connecting the particles, and the direction will depend on the relative positions and charges of the particles.

5. How is Coulomb's force law used in real-world applications?

Coulomb's force law is used in many real-world applications, such as determining the force between charged particles in an electric field, calculating the forces in electrical circuits, and understanding the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators. It is also used in the design of electronic devices and in the study of electromagnetic phenomena.