Coulomb's Law magnitude problem

In summary, two point charges are fixed on the y axis: a negative point charge q1 = -24 µC at y1 = +0.20 m and a positive point charge q2 at y2 = +0.37 m. A third point charge q = +9.0 µC is fixed at the origin. The net electrostatic force exerted on the charge q by the other two charges has a magnitude of 26 N and points in the +y direction. Using the equation F = K(q1q2)/r^2, the magnitude of q2 is found to be 1.261*10^-4 C. This is determined by setting up an equation for q2 and solving for the net
Bradman

Homework Statement

Two point charges are fixed on the y axis: a negative point charge q1 = -24 µC at y1 = +0.20 m and a positive point charge q2 at y2 = +0.37 m. A third point charge q = +9.0 µC is fixed at the origin. The net electrostatic force exerted on the charge q by the other two charges has a magnitude of 26 N and points in the +y direction. Determine the magnitude of q2.

Homework Equations

F = K(q1q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the magnitude of force between q and q1 and set up the equation for q1 and q2:

[(8.99*10^9)(9.0*10^-6)(2.4*10-5)]/(0.20^2) = 48.546N
[(8.99*10^9)(2.4*10^-5)(q2)]/(0.17^2) = F

Then I did my equation to find the force for the 2nd equation (-48.546 since it's an attractive force):
F - 48.546N = 26N
F = 74.546

Then solved for q2:

q2 = [(74.546)(0.17^2)]/[(8.99*10^9)(2.4*10^-5)] = 9.985*10^-6

WebAssign tells me I'm incorrect, and I can't tell where I've gone wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Bradman, welcome to PF.
What is the distance between q2 and q?

0.37m

Bradman said:
0.37m

q2 = [(74.546)(0.17^2)]/[(8.99*10^9)(2.4*10^-5)] = 9.985*10^-6

Then check the force between q2 and q.

Well, the sum of the forces on q is +26N, so since the Force of q1 on q is an attractive force of 46.546N in one direction, then the force of q2 on q should be a repulsive force 74.546N in the other direction. That makes the magnitude of the q2 charge:

q2 = [(74.546)(0.37^2)]/[(8.99*10^9)(9.0*10^-6)] = 1.261*10^-4 C

Which still tells me I'm wrong (it was my final submission).

:cry:

Force between q and q1 is 48.546 N along +y direction.

Net force is 26 N along the + y direction.

Hence force F between q and q2 must be along the - y direction.

So 26 N = 48.546 N - F.

Now proceed.

Related to Coulomb's Law magnitude problem

1. What is Coulomb's Law magnitude problem?

Coulomb's Law magnitude problem is a concept in physics that deals with the calculation of the magnitude of the electric force between two charged particles. It is based on Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law magnitude problem used in real life?

Coulomb's Law magnitude problem is used in many real-life applications, such as the design of electrical circuits, the operation of electronic devices, and the study of atomic and molecular interactions. It is also used in industries like telecommunications, power generation, and electric transportation.

3. What are the key factors that affect the magnitude of the electric force according to Coulomb's Law?

The key factors that affect the magnitude of the electric force are the charges of the particles, the distance between them, and the medium in which they are located. The force increases as the charges increase, decreases as the distance between the particles increases, and is affected by the properties of the medium, such as its dielectric constant.

4. Can Coulomb's Law magnitude problem be applied to both positive and negative charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law magnitude problem can be applied to both positive and negative charges. The sign of the charges determines the direction of the force, and the magnitude is calculated using the absolute value of the charges.

5. How can Coulomb's Law magnitude problem be solved mathematically?

Coulomb's Law magnitude problem can be solved mathematically by using the formula F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the electric force, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them. This formula can be used to calculate the magnitude of the electric force between two charged particles in a vacuum or in a medium with a known dielectric constant.