Three particles, finding Q of one of them (Coulomb's Law)

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the magnitude of a negative charge, Q, when two other charged particles are present at specific distances. Coulomb's Law is used as the basis for solving the problem, with the equation E = k*Q/r^2 being the main focus. The individual attempts at a solution are shown, but it is evident that there is a fundamental misunderstanding in the approach to the problem. The correct strategy is to first state a plan and then implement it by manipulating formulas and setting them equal to each other, rather than manipulating them without a clear strategy in mind.
syladelaney

Homework Statement

"A particle with charge -3.03 nC is at the origin, and a particle with negative charge of magnitude Q is at x = 49.0 cm. A third particle with a positive charge is in equilibrium at x = 20.8 cm. What is Q?"

Homework Equations

I'm fairly certain that Coulomb's Law is the basis of this problem. I'm not entirely sure what all to put in this section, so I'm posting a few derivations of it.

E = F/q
F = k*(qQ/r^2)
E = k*Q/r^2
k = 8.99*10^9

The Attempt at a Solution

k*(-3.03nC)q/(.208m)^2 = k*Q*q/(.490)^2
^here I basically plugged values for the second equation above and set the forces equal to each other.
rearranging the equation and cancelling variables I got...
Q = (-3.03nC)*(.490/.208)^2
And solved to get Q = -16.8, which is evidently not correct.

I'm not sure if I manipulated the formulas wrong, made a mathematical error, or am approaching this with a fundamental misunderstanding. Also, I apologize if my formatting was hard to read. I'm new to the forums.
Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello syladelaney, :welcome:

syladelaney said:
k*Q*q/(.490)^2
What force is this ?

Likes syladelaney
syladelaney said:
which is evidently not correct
Why is that so evident ?

Likes syladelaney
Your fundamental misunderstanding is that you started "manipulating" formulas and set things equal to each other without a strategy. You put the cart before the horse. First state your strategy and then implement it by manipulating formulas and setting things to each other. So what is your strategy here?

Likes syladelaney and BvU

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What are the three particles involved in Coulomb's Law?

The three particles involved in Coulomb's Law are the two charged particles and the medium in which they are interacting. The medium can be vacuum, air, or any other material.

How do you find the charge (Q) of one of the particles in Coulomb's Law?

To find the charge (Q) of one of the particles in Coulomb's Law, you need to know the values of the other two particles involved (the other charged particle and the medium) and the distance between them. You can then use the formula Q = (k * q * q') / r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q and q' are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

What is the unit of charge used in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of charge used in Coulomb's Law is the Coulomb (C). It is a derived unit in the International System of Units (SI) and is defined as the charge transported by a constant current of one ampere in one second.

How does distance affect the force between charged particles in Coulomb's Law?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force between them decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the force increases.