Counting Partitions and Bijections

In summary: For (E), there are 210 ways to split a group of 10 people into two groups of size 3 and one group of size 4. This can be proven by considering the number of ways we can choose 3 people from the group to be in the first group, then 3 people from the remaining 7 to be in the second group, and the remaining 4 people to be in the third group. This can be done in 10C3 * 7C3 = 210 ways.
Curiouspoet

Homework Statement

(A) Find and prove a bijection between the set of all functions from [n] to [3] and the set of all integers from 1 to 3n.
(B) How many set partitions of [n] into two blocks are there?
(C) How many set partitions of [n] into (n-1) blocks are there?
(D) How many set partitions of [n] into (n-2) blocks are there?
(E) How many ways can we split a group of 10 people into two groups of size 3 and one group of size 4?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to handle partitions of a set being mapped to another set. Could someone give me an idea of what definitions I would consider? I know (E) is done by equivalence relations and we could show two groups of size 3 are equal to each other, but I'm not sure how to use that. I'd like to know what method of attack I need to use to solve these problems, I'd assume it's similar for all of them?

Physics news on Phys.org
For (A), there is a bijection between the set of all functions from [n] to [3] and the set of all integers from 1 to 3n. This can be proven by constructing a function f that maps each function g from [n] to [3] to an integer. Specifically, define f(g) = x such that x is the integer whose decimal expansion is composed of the numbers in the range [3] that g takes on. For example, if g = {1 → 2, 2 → 3, 3 → 1}, then f(g) = 231. This is a bijection since each function has a unique corresponding integer, and each integer corresponds to a unique function. For (B), there are 2^n-1 ways to partition a set of n elements into two blocks. This can be proven by induction. The base case holds as n = 1, and for n > 1, there are 2^(n-1) ways to partition the set into two blocks, and each of these partitions can be split further into two blocks, resulting in 2^n-1 ways. For (C), there are (n-1)! ways to partition a set of n elements into n-1 blocks. This can be proven by counting the number of ways we can divide the set into n-1 blocks. We can choose any element from the set to be the first block, then any of the remaining n-1 elements to be the second block, then any of the remaining n-2 elements to be the third block, and so on until we have n-1 blocks. This can be done in (n-1)! ways, which is the number of ways to partition the set into n-1 blocks. For (D), there are (n-1)!/(2!(n-3)!) ways to partition a set of n elements into n-2 blocks. This can be proven by counting the number of ways we can divide the set into n-2 blocks. We can choose any two elements from the set to be the first block, then any of the remaining n-3 elements to be the second block, then any of the remaining n-4 elements to be the third block, and so on until we have n-2 blocks. This can be done in (n-1)!/(2!(n-3)!)

1. What is the concept of counting partitions and bijections?

The concept of counting partitions and bijections involves understanding the different ways in which a set can be divided into smaller subsets and the relationship between these subsets.

2. What is the purpose of counting partitions and bijections?

The purpose of counting partitions and bijections is to help in understanding the structure and properties of a set, and to determine the number of elements in a given set or subset.

3. What is the difference between counting partitions and counting permutations?

Counting partitions involves dividing a set into smaller subsets, while counting permutations involves arranging the elements of a set in a particular order. Counting partitions considers the number of subsets and their sizes, while counting permutations considers the number of ways the elements can be arranged.

4. How do you determine the number of partitions for a given set?

The number of partitions for a given set can be determined by using the Bell number formula, which is a recursive formula that involves calculating the number of ways to partition a set based on the number of elements and the sizes of the subsets.

5. What is a bijection and why is it important in counting partitions?

A bijection is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of two sets. In counting partitions, bijections are important because they help in understanding the relationship between different subsets and in determining the number of ways in which a set can be partitioned.