Counting problems: dancing couples & books and children

In summary, for the first scenario, there are 20 nCr 10 ways to choose 10 people from 20, but since we need at least one dance couple, we subtract the number of ways to have no partner (20 nCr 10) to get the final answer.For the second scenario, we can give (n+1) books to n students in (n+1) P n ways, but since there will be one book remaining, we can give it to any of the n students in n ways. However, since the order in which the student receives the book does not matter, we need to multiply by 1/2 to adjust for overcounting. Therefore, the final answer is [(n
member 587159

Homework Statement

1) We choose randomly 10 persons from 10 dance couples, but we need at least one dance couple. In how many ways is this possible?
2) If we divide n+1 books among n children and every child has to get at least one, in how many ways would this be possible?

Homework Equations

Combinations, permutations, variations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) We want to choose 10 people from 20 people, this is possible in 20 nCr 10 ways.
We need a couple so we need less than 20 nCr 10 ways. I want to know then:
20 nCr 10 - the amount of possibilities to have no partner. This is where I got stuck.

2) We can give n+1 books to n students in (n+1) nPr n ways, but once every pupil has got a book, there is one book remaining. We can give this to any of the students in n ways, but since it doesn't matter in what order this student received the book, we should multiply with 1/2.

So,[(n+1) nPr n]*n/2 ways

Can someone verify this?

Thanks in advance for your quick answers :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Math_QED said:

Homework Statement

1) We choose randomly 10 persons from 10 dance couples, but we need at least one dance couple. In how many ways is this possible?
2) If we divide n+1 books among n children and every child has to get at least one, in how many ways would this be possible?

Homework Equations

Combinations, permutations, variations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) We want to choose 10 people from 20 people, this is possible in 20 nCr 10 ways.
We need a couple so we need less than 20 nCr 10 ways. I want to know then:
20 nCr 10 - the amount of possibilities to have no partner. This is where I got stuck.

2) We can give n+1 books to n students in (n+1) nPr n ways, but once every pupil has got a book, there is one book remaining. We can give this to any of the students in n ways, but since it doesn't matter in what order this student received the book, we should multiply with 1/2.

So,[(n+1) nPr n]*n/2 ways

Can someone verify this?

Thanks in advance for your quick answers :)

Is a dancing couple any man paired with any woman, or is it a particular pairing such as Fred and Ethel?

Math_QED said:
the amount of possibilities to have no partner
If you do not choose both of any pair, how many pairs will you choose one from?
Math_QED said:
[(n+1) nPr n]*n/2 ways
Yes, but can you simplify that, avoiding the use of nPr. (Also, I don't think this is standard notation. Don't you just mean [(n+1) P n]*n/2?)

haruspex said:
If you do not choose both of any pair, how many pairs will you choose one from?

Yes, but can you simplify that, avoiding the use of nPr. (Also, I don't think this is standard notation. Don't you just mean [(n+1) P n]*n/2?)

1) from 10 pairs one
2) this is the notation from my graphing calculator, but it's not the standard notation

Thanks for your reply

Math_QED said:
1) from 10 pairs one
So how many choices is that?

haruspex said:
So how many choices is that?
2^10

Math_QED said:
2^10
Indeed.

Likes member 587159
Thanks for your help :)

1. How do I approach counting problems involving dancing couples?

The key to solving counting problems involving dancing couples is to understand the concept of combinations. In these types of problems, we are selecting a certain number of items from a larger group, without regard for order. Therefore, we use the combination formula (nCr) to calculate the number of possible combinations. For example, if we have 5 couples and we want to select 3 of them to dance, we would use 5C3 = 10 to find the number of possible combinations.

2. How do I solve counting problems involving books and children?

Counting problems involving books and children often involve the concept of permutations, where the order of the items matters. For example, if we have 10 books and we want to arrange them on a shelf, the order in which we place the books matters. Therefore, we would use the permutation formula (nPn) to calculate the number of possible arrangements. Another important concept to keep in mind is whether the items are distinguishable or indistinguishable, as this will impact the formula used.

3. Can you provide an example of a counting problem involving dancing couples?

Sure, here's an example: In a dance class, there are 8 male students and 10 female students. The instructor wants to pair up the students for a dance competition. How many different pairs can be formed? To solve this, we would use the combination formula (nCr) and plug in 18 for n and 2 for r, since we are selecting 2 students at a time. This gives us 18C2 = 153 possible pairs.

4. How can I apply the concept of combinations to counting problems involving books and children?

If we have a group of children and we want to divide them into two teams, we can use the combination formula (nCr) to calculate the number of possible team combinations. For example, if we have 8 children and we want to divide them into two teams of 4, we would use 8C4 = 70 to find the number of possible team combinations. This concept can also be applied to other types of counting problems involving books and children, such as distributing books to children in different ways.

5. How do I know when to use combinations or permutations in counting problems?

The key difference between combinations and permutations is whether the order of the items matters. If the order is important, then we use permutations. If the order is not important, then we use combinations. Another way to think about it is permutations involve selecting items with replacement, while combinations involve selecting items without replacement. So, consider the wording of the problem to determine which concept to apply.