Counting Question Concerning Circular Arrangements

In summary, the first discussion was about arranging 20 boys and 20 girls in 20 pods on a Ferris wheel, with each pod containing one boy and one girl. The possible ways of arranging them was found to be 20!*19!. In the second discussion, the question was about seating 5 boys and 5 girls at a round table in alternating positions. The possible ways of arranging them was found to be either (5!)^2 or 5!*4!, depending on whether moving one place to the left is considered a change in seating plan.
UltimateSomni

Homework Statement

I have two questions. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post two at once so I'll start with one

"Twenty boys and twenty girls are to take a ride on a Ferris wheel with twenty pods. How many ways can they be arranged if each pod is to contain one boy and boy girl"

Homework Equations

For circular arrangements, (n-1)! possible arrangements

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Fix the first boy, sort of the other 19 around him... 19! ways
2. Now, with all the spots set in terms of the first boy, sort the 20 girls... 20! ways
3. Thus, there are 20!*19! ways to sort them

I am pretty sure this is correct but I can't find my notes so I do not know for sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that looks correct to me.

andrewkirk said:
Yes, that looks correct to me.
All right, I thought so. Well we did a similar one that my notes give an odd answer for.

Homework Statement

"How many ways are there to seat 5 boys and a 5 girls at a round table so that boys and girls alternate?

Homework Equations

For circular arrangements, (n-1)! possible arrangements

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Fix the first boy, arrange the other 4 around him... 4!
2. With the spots set, arrange the 5 girls... 5!
3. In total, there are 5!*4! ways

But my notes say (5!)^2. Which one is right?

Either one can be correct, depending on what we mean when we say that two seating plans are different. ##(5!)^2## is correct if making them all stand up and move one place to their left is regarded as changing the seating plan. If it isn't then ##5!4!## is the correct answer. In the Ferris wheel case, it was not regarded as a change, so ##20!19!## was the answer.

1. How do you count the number of ways to arrange objects in a circle?

The number of ways to arrange objects in a circle can be calculated using the formula n!/n where n is the number of objects. This is because in a circular arrangement, the starting point does not matter, so we divide by the number of objects to eliminate any duplicates.

2. What is a circular permutation?

A circular permutation is a type of arrangement where objects are arranged in a circle instead of a straight line. In this type of permutation, the starting point is not fixed, and the arrangement is considered the same even if the objects are rotated in the circle.

3. How is a circular permutation different from a linear permutation?

In a linear permutation, the starting point is fixed, and the arrangement is considered different if the objects are rearranged in any way. In a circular permutation, the starting point does not matter, and the arrangement is considered the same even if the objects are rotated in the circle.

4. Can a circular permutation have repetitions?

Yes, a circular permutation can have repetitions. For example, if you have 4 objects and arrange them in a circle, you can have 4 different arrangements (ABCD, BCDA, CDAB, DABC). However, if the objects are not distinct, there may be fewer arrangements.

5. How can circular permutations be used in real life?

Circular permutations can be used to model real-life scenarios such as arranging people in a circle for a game or seating arrangements at a round table. They can also be applied in computer science for creating unique combinations of data in a circular manner.